I feel a bit stupid having to ask this, but what does it mean when we say, for example, that a perfect fifth is 3:2? I think I get the gist, but I'm a bit slow. Explain it to me as you would a complete idiot.
If A is 220hz then its perfect fifth is- 220*1.5= 330hz which is E at 329hz

This means that for every A wave there are one and a half E waves. Consonance is when the two waves share the same peaks/troughs- the more of these they share the more consonant they are. A and E share two of every three peaks/troughs, so it is as 'perfect' as you can get without an octave.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
That just means that for every two cycles in the frequency of the lower note, the one a fifth higher one goes through three cycles.

But in our world, the 3:2 fifth is realized by way of its tempered approximation, 2^(7:12):1.
Quote by Dodeka
That just means that for every two cycles in the frequency of the lower note, the one a fifth higher one goes through three cycles.

But in our world, the 3:2 fifth is realized by way of its tempered approximation, 2^(7:12):1.

Just 700 cents in 12TET

It is a lot easier, for a number of reasons, to think in terms of cents for contemporary music and instruments.