does plywood guitars ever sound good? i have just been given a plywood guitar by my teacher and im stoked! it has no electronics at all just the body and neck and it is made of plywood. so if i was to buy good pickups and all the rest could it sound alright?
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Yeah, active pickups tend to mask the tone of the body a little. I don't think you're ever going to end up with a truly "good" guitar, but even with some reasonable pickups, you're going to get a guitar you can learn, and practice with, until you can get a better one.
i own a gibson SG 61 reissue and many other high end guitars this 1 was just my first attempt at working with the electronics of the guitar so i wouldnt have to pay people to do it for me, i want a gibson p-94 but i have no guitar that i want to replace the pickups in so i was wondering if it would sound ok
A good amp makes the most difference. I wouldn't waste money putting good pups into a plywood guitar though.
Quote by RyanBreslin
i own a gibson SG 61 reissue and many other high end guitars this 1 was just my first attempt at working with the electronics of the guitar so i wouldnt have to pay people to do it for me, i want a gibson p-94 but i have no guitar that i want to replace the pickups in so i was wondering if it would sound ok

If it's just to get practice wiring a guitar, then I would suggest finding some reasonably cheap(or free if you can find someone who scrapped theirs) electronics setup, and fitting that in, then you could probably give it or sell it for cheap to another student guitarist, or someone who just wants to start learning.
That guitar is never, ever going to compete with your '61 reissue, and a P94 is a pickup that really works with the woods of the guitar, so you're going to want a high quality guitar for that, anyway.
Plywood is weird. I've found some plywood guitars to be far too brights, and others to be far too dark and muddy, and then others to be tonally similar to my old Alder Squier. The only thing I've noticed that is consistent between them is that they all have terrible sustain. Too much glue in the wood to sustain properly.
ok thanks guys, i guess im going to have to wait till i get a new guitar for the P-94