I am trying to build a rig for jamming and recording (not so worried about live). I'm interested in good tones ranging from Isis to Ion Dissonance. This is what I was thinking:

Guitar (proposed): Agile Interceptor 7

Amp (currently own): Ibanez Thermion with JJ's retube

Cab (proposed): 2x12 of some sort, loaded with V30 or G12K-100's. I might have an opportunity on one of those old school vertical Mesa 2x12s that are really big. It's loaded with V30s, but I've considered buying it empty ($100 less) or replacing at least one of them (maybe the bottom speaker) with a G12K.

This sound like a legit rig? For writing/possibly recording.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Aug 17, 2011,
This is the old school cab-

It has an open back on the top. Not sure if that is better for chimey stuff and more vintage sounds, might sound cool in a room though.

If one was to record with this, which half would you mic? I think the lower sealed part is actually sealed/ported... not sure what all this stuff means since I'm new to good guitar gear.
Quote by cGoEcYk
This is the old school cab-

It has an open back on the top. Not sure if that is better for chimey stuff and more vintage sounds, might sound cool in a room though.

If one was to record with this, which half would you mic? I think the lower sealed part is actually sealed/ported... not sure what all this stuff means since I'm new to good guitar gear.

Seems like youre into heavier styles of music so id go ahead and say no for that cacinet, i have the 4x12 version of that cabinet and it really just isnt suited for high gain stuff. mine had c-90 speakers and a cheap ply wood bac k for the top, i got mine cheap and im thinking of selling it for a modern mesa 2x12.

if you are gonna get a mesa cab for high gain, get a modern one.

and for now just get one with 2 v30 speakers, that way later you can add a k100 for fun

EDIT: i say pass on that cab because the bottom is closed back, the top is open, and the speakers are probably c90s too.

for metal and high gain, you generally want closed back cabs, opens get real mushy and muddy. so im saying pass on it because of its actual constrution and speakers, too much hassle usless you can get it real cheap (like 150 or less id say)
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 17, 2011,
Thanks for the warning and your thoughts on it. It would be $200 empty/ $300 with V30's... not a bad price, but not rock bottom.

There does appear to be a closed back version of this design-

http://www.mattsmusic.com/MES212RECVERTCAB-prod.html

I looked around for more pics of this and it looks like the top part is sealed with baffle materials, not sure if ports are added to the top.

If anyone is good with this type of stuff, just out of curousity, what is 3/4 closed like?
if you could find the closed back version that you just posted the link to, then jump on that.

but the way my cabinet is built too, makes it react like 2 2x12 cabs stacked on top of each other, if yours is the same then itll acts like 2 1x12s stacked. but you can always get it with the 2 v30s and make your own panel to close the back, and itll work fine, but not amazing IMO. i am actually contemplalting either selling my cab or putting in 2 v30s and 2 k100s. if i do sell it i think id want a 2x12 modern mesa cab