Hey UGers,
First off SORRY FOR THE SUPER LONG THREAD TL;DR AT THE BOTTOM
So I have a couple of things I need clarifying as I am on the lookout for a new head for my 4x12 120W Vox cab.

First off I know there is a sticky but I still have some questions after reading it so.....I am not quite sure whether I am looking for a medium gain or high gain amp.

My ideal tone would be Breaking Benjaminish e.g. the intro of Firefly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCqlbRqFMSQ

But I also play a lot of hardcore like TDWP etc.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gZZEk-0fA

And theeeen I'm also in a Pop-punk (Alt-rock) Paramore style band so I'm playing lots similar to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdaCt2DhE0

Now I'm thinking I'm going to need a high gain amp capable of med gain stuff, but I'm not sure as all high gain amps seem to have been labelled as "metal" amps, but when I think of metal I think of super high gain with too much treble that makes my ears bleed, whereas Breaking Benjamin seem to have the really full sounding distortion, even TDWP have that similar sound even if they are hardcore.
So would you say my needs are of a high/med gain amp?

Secondly I need a suggestion for a head preferably valve(tube whatevs you wanna call it) that fits the above criteria, I need a nice clean tone and a thick distortion tone that can also handle a bit less full on like the Paramore/Tonight Alive sound - Pop-punk.
My ideal price range is around $600-$1000 - I currently have a 4x12 120Watt cab (8ohms I think) which I want it to run through (Or if you can list me a Head + cab combo that fits my needs and price range I can sell the cab).
I am in four bands - don't judge me -, I gig a lot and a lot of my bands like to practise so loud my ears bleed even with ear plugs in, I assume 30Watt tube onwards will be suitable for my needs.

THIRDLY - I stumbled across this ad for a Ashton Bluetongue 100 Watt Valve Head
This is Ashton's version and it is a monster! I really have no need for a head as loud as this now. 2 Channels with boosts on both Clean's are great and take pedals really well. Has crunch boost, Mean channel is Marshall type to Mesa high gain. Has spring reverb and fx loop. In as new condition, sorry about the crappy pic.

Pre-amp valves: 12AX7x3 + 12AT7x1,12AU7x3 Power-amp valves: EL34x4 Hi & low input jacks Spring reverb 4 channels. Clean, crunch, mean and filth 3 band EQ (bass, middle, treble)on 2 channels Comes with added footswitch FSW400

and it's going for like $300-$400 which is really cheap! I've never heard of this amp, anyone had any experience, of course I will try it out if I ever even think of buying it, but I would like to know if it's worth the trip out to go and try one or not.

TL;DR
1) What class of gain am I high/med Ref. Bands listed
2) What amp (head pref. tube) should I get that suits Bands listed and in PR of $600-$1000 for someone that gigs constantly/loud practise
3)Is amp listed a good deal

OK SORRY FOR THE SUPER LONG THREAD I REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP GIVEN!
Thanks,
-rk
well Paramore's guitarists use Marshall DSL's and Mesa Triple Recs, and they're pretty metal amps tbh.
From what I can tell, that Ashton is worth looking at, especially for the price.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
well Paramore's guitarists use Marshall DSL's and Mesa Triple Recs, and they're pretty metal amps tbh.
From what I can tell, that Ashton is worth looking at, especially for the price.

It says it's 100Watts and it's a valve head that would go fine through a 120W 4x12 cab right? I've only ever had a 100W SS head run through my cab before, still understanding the whole tube/valve thing.
Quote by rkroxpunk
It says it's 100Watts and it's a valve head that would go fine through a 120W 4x12 cab right? I've only ever had a 100W SS head run through my cab before, still understanding the whole tube/valve thing.

yeah, as long as the ohms match up, then your good to go.

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon

Apparently Ashton make sucky heads that should be steered well clear of, apparently this one has good tone but dies very quickly, which is exactly not what I'm after.

So now I sort of just need amp(head) suggestions within $600-$1000 Price Range. I'll probably get something used, apparently Marshall's you can get for a somewhat decent price down in Aus
Quote by Unholy.Daemon

Well not true, you'd want to check the total wattage load of the speakers to make sure they can handle 100 watts, which for a 412 in most cases is not an issue, but it won't hurt to check.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Well not true, you'd want to check the total wattage load of the speakers to make sure they can handle 100 watts, which for a 412 in most cases is not an issue, but it won't hurt to check.

he said his cab is 120 watts and the head is 100 watts, so i'm pretty sure that's fine

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
he said his cab is 120 watts and the head is 100 watts, so i'm pretty sure that's fine

Oh missed that part.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Aye - 120Watt 8ohm cab. I feel I should delete this thread and get it remade with less me blabbing and more get to the point stuff, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with a high gain amp though, as was mentioned Paramore guitarist used pretty metal heads and still got a sweet sound!
Have you tried something like a Peavey 3120 (or XXX if you can find them used) or a JSX? Also look at a Orange Rockverb ( if you can find one in your budget).
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Have you tried something like a Peavey 3120 (or XXX if you can find them used) or a JSX? Also look at a Orange Rockverb ( if you can find one in your budget).

Yeah they all look pretty far out of my budget, and no luck finding any used in Aus, I'll keep an eye out though.
I did just get an offer to buy a Marshall 100w head made in UK, JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead for $999 used, gonna have to do some researching of them!
Marshall cleans aren't exactly sparkly clean IMO.

Have you considered something like a Pod HD + Atomic Reactor amp?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Marshall cleans aren't exactly sparkly clean IMO.

Have you considered something like a Pod HD + Atomic Reactor amp?

I don't have the slightest clue what that is, I'll take a look.
I looked at the Pod HD and I like it! I'm thinking I'll get a Pod HD300, just a question, why did you recommend an Atomic Reactor Amp? Also which model would you suggest, I am unfamiliar with the company
a dual rec would also work well for his needs too, it can get pretty heavy and i know parmore uses one live. but finding one used under 1000$ might be tough.

if not the a POD HD and power amp for sure

and the atomic reactor amp was recommended because its supposedly transparent and doesnt colour the signal coming through it, right?
Quote by Seanthesheep
a dual rec would also work well for his needs too, it can get pretty heavy and i know parmore uses one live. but finding one used under 1000$ might be tough.

and the atomic reactor amp was recommended because its supposedly transparent and doesnt colour the signal coming through it, right?

Ah so you're getting purely what is coming out of the pedal?

And yes a dual rec would be amazing but I live in Australia where everything music related is incredibly over-priced so no way in hell am I getting one of those for under $1000!
Well, I can get a Pod HD500 used for $525, but Atomic Reactor's are a no go, so I'm really not sure wtf to do now! Maybe I'll just go the Marshall =.=
Try to get a Peavey 3120, It would be perfect for that tone, which the reason its thick is because they actually use their mid range. Whatever you do, don't get the Peavey 6505 plus, it has no clean tone whatsoever which i assume you will want.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
Try to get a Peavey 3120, It would be perfect for that tone, which the reason its thick is because they actually use their mid range. Whatever you do, don't get the Peavey 6505 plus, it has no clean tone whatsoever which i assume you will want.

Just listened to a demo and it sounds great! Think it's slightly out of my budget, there's one on ebay for $760 + 350 shipping which puts it slightly out of my range plus I don't really feel comfortable shipping a tube amp.
Here the cheapest used I've found is $1200, I'll definately keep an eye out though
I've been offered a Marshall JCM800 for around $1,000 and a Sovtek Mig100 for $800
Anyone have any experience with these? From what it looks like they've both got pretty beefy gain tones, not sure if it suits Breaking Benjamin sort of tone. But also not sure about their clean tone.

Oh and also a Marshall AVT-150 for $600
Last edited by rkroxpunk at Aug 17, 2011,
Man this is way too much fun! Ok so been offered a H&K Dual EL34 Stateman for $1,000 used, only thing i'm not quite sure about with this is if it's heavy enough, I watched a demo and the guy had the overdrive channel with "boost" on and it sounded pretty heavy, but not sure if that boost was an overdrive pedal with an overdrive channel going or if there's an actual boost button on the amp.
Anyways if it was the first scenario I have a Boss OD-2 which I've never really needed cos an overdrive by itself doesn't really fit my tonal needs, but has anyone had experience using these with an overdrive channel and how it sounds?
id do that ^ but make sure to play the amp first anyways\

EDIT: talk him down on price though, they gor 1200$ brand new around me, and thats at stores that tend to overprice things
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
id do that ^ but make sure to play the amp first anyways\

EDIT: talk him down on price though, they gor 1200$ brand new around me, and thats at stores that tend to overprice things

Awesome, I'll see what I can do. Thing is Australia is usually way overpriced anyway, so it might be a good deal.

EDIT: Scrap that, the shop right near me has them for $1,200. Thanks for pointing that out! Just realised this is the amp my friend just bought lol, I'll be sure to test it out.
Last edited by rkroxpunk at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep

It'll colour. I recommended the Atomic Reactor because it provided a cab and power section in 1 solution.

that said, people tend to over-attribute tone shaping to a power section. The impact of a power section is subtle compared to the preamp section. For a modeler like the Pod HD, you'd be hard pressed to hear a significant difference.

One power amp thats as close to transparent as you'll get is the Crate Power Block, and when they pop up, they tend to go for real cheap. Not that it really seems to matter any more at this point.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Too bad you live in Australia. A Dual Rectifier really would be perfect. They're very versatile tweaker amps.

With that ruled out... Keep an eye out for a Peavey 3120/JSX/XXX, like ragingkitty said. I think a JSX would probably be the best of the three for what you need.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well I've changed my plan yet again! Getting a lot of intriguing offers and have learnt so much the last few days!
Anyways I'm repairing my amp, gonna sell it and possibly buy......*drumroll*
Randall RM100
has super v module (vox ac30 style cleans), treadplate (recto sound), ultra lead (randall lead sound) and mr scary (think hot rodded jcm800).
Should cover all bases.

It's being offered for $1,000 I've been told by others that that is a killer deal, anyone any experience with these?
A yay or nay?
I've been watching on Youtube and I'm liking the tone a lot, gonna go try it out in a couple of days!