Ok, so I'm getting this pickup:

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_033.htm

For my PRS SE Singlecut and I don't know whether to go for the overwound or the normal bridge pickup..

All I really want to know I suppose is just how much of a difference does it make? How does it affect the sound?

I want a cleaner, less overdriven sound for blues and classic rock, but I'll still play a bit of metal on it, so I'm really at a loss here...

Help?
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
how much metal and what type of metal?

i haven't tried them myself, but according to the IG site, the overwound one goes up from about 8k to ~13k- assuming the same wire and everything that's a fair bit hotter! If it were only up to, say, 10k i'd say maybe try the overwound one, but 13k is pretty hot. not daft hot, but pretty hot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much metal and what type of metal?

i haven't tried them myself, but according to the IG site, the overwound one goes up from about 8k to ~13k- assuming the same wire and everything that's a fair bit hotter! If it were only up to, say, 10k i'd say maybe try the overwound one, but 13k is pretty hot. not daft hot, but pretty hot.

Ah yeah, in that case that's too hot for me then, usually I play metal on my LTD but you know, I play some heavy stuff on this too, ozzy osbourne stuff, but I'm sure the non over-wound pickup will do just fine, I just want a nice clean pickup that does blues and classic rock-ish stuff nicely. Thanks a lot!
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

yeah if that's the case i'd probably just go for the normal one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I may suggest?? You didn't mention any effects pedals at all, that I noted. I would stick with the normal output, which is probably a medium output (I'm guessing here). That would be more than adequate for the blues and classic rock things you want to do. Then add something like a Boss Metal Zone pedal when you want that sound, with greater distortion.
Never mind the Dawg . . . Beware of Owner!!
normal wind. if you want to improve your cleaner/lower-gain sounds, do not get an over-wound pickup. a regular wind pickup will help your cleans without impacting your higher-gain tones too much (the stock pickup in your guitar wasn't that high-output, so you shouldn't see any drop in high-gain capability)
^ yeah. while it's maybe skating a bit close to "high output pickups are obsolete trololololol" (a philosophy i disagree with, btw), if you're mainly needing lower output tones with occasional high gain tones, a low output pickup coupled with an od is going to do that better, mostly, than a higher output pickup with the volume rolled back. IMO, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah. while it's maybe skating a bit close to "high output pickups are obsolete trololololol" (a philosophy i disagree with, btw), if you're mainly needing lower output tones with occasional high gain tones, a low output pickup coupled with an od is going to do that better, mostly, than a higher output pickup with the volume rolled back. IMO, anyway.

Yeah couldn't agree more. The stock pickups in this seem pretty high output though I've gotta say, I need to roll back the volume a lot to get a properly clean tone, hence why i want the lower output ones.

what's your amp?

depending on your amp, that can happen even with lower output humbuckers, though obviously it'll be less bad with low output ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your amp?

depending on your amp, that can happen even with lower output humbuckers, though obviously it'll be less bad with low output ones.

Its a Vox AD30VT, got plenty of clean amp models and even on the very cleanest which is just 100% clean there's still a bit of "heat" coming from the pickups, you know, it gets a bit muddy and overdriven very easily if you know what I mean

ah ok
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?