Hi,

This is my blues jam in Dm. I would love to have some feedback on my playing ! I needed to work on my improv skills so i worked out this solo.

hope you enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fttVCYoEQ

Cheers,

PS: as always c4c

PSS: don't be afraid to add me as a friend !!
Last edited by cub0ne at Aug 23, 2011,
You may have used the saddest of all keys but the happy face sticker kept me smiling all the way though

Seriously though, I really like your tone and feel.

I am a bit confused about whether this was improv or if you wrote this as you said you worked out this solo in your post. Either way it sounded great and it fit the backing track very nicely.

The only negative thing I have to say is that you seemed to hang out in your 10th position box position a bit too much. You get great milage out of it because you phrase well but if you expanded outwards and used a few others a little more often you could solo for days without sounding stale.

Hope this helps man

That was cool ! Just posted a comment on YT, honestly even if Zeppelin addict may be right about you sticking to one position, IMO you've managed not to sound "always the same" if you know what I mean
Quote by Zeppelin Addict
You may have used the saddest of all keys but the happy face sticker kept me smiling all the way though

Seriously though, I really like your tone and feel.

I am a bit confused about whether this was improv or if you wrote this as you said you worked out this solo in your post. Either way it sounded great and it fit the backing track very nicely.

The only negative thing I have to say is that you seemed to hang out in your 10th position box position a bit too much. You get great milage out of it because you phrase well but if you expanded outwards and used a few others a little more often you could solo for days without sounding stale.

Hope this helps man

Thanks man !

I am very well aware of the fact i,m stuck in the box...But i did this on purpose to limit myself from shredding away and in a way to phrase better. Because i have very limited note selection i have to work harder on my phrasing

I really wanted to use the relative scales for d minor. But i found myself not sounding too bluesy and a bit too melodic instead of that gritty 'Gary Moore' blues ( can't really explain)

But you are very right sir, about the fact that it's not a good idea to get stuck in a pentatonic box !

Quote by Tibouk
That was cool ! Just posted a comment on YT, honestly even if Zeppelin addict may be right about you sticking to one position, IMO you've managed not to sound "always the same" if you know what I mean

Hi,

Thank you very much ! this is what i was going for: I got 6 notes what can i do with it and how can i avoid repetition ;-) glad it worked for you guys

Again thanks very much for your replies !

Wish you all the best

Cheers,

PS: it''s part improv and part preconceived
Last edited by cub0ne at Aug 18, 2011,
Hey, I left you a comment on youtube, and liked it.

Please, have a look on my video, and if you will, leave a comment at it?
Thanks man!
Space Pyramid

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1
Boss DS1
Tascam US-122 MKII
AT 2020 mic
I really like your phrasing, you managed to keep things interesting throughout, and that's a big plus. The tone is also really good. Honestly, there's not much I can really crit here. As someone above me said, you did stick with your box, but I think the phrasing and expressiveness of the improv makes up for that. Cheers
There really isn't much to crit. I don't have enough of a discerning ear to pick out any minor flaws if there were any.

One question. You've got the skills and you've got the style. In what direction do you intend to take your music? The possibilities are endless with skills like yours. Do you have any plans on going pro?

c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469290
wow, you have great tone and phrasing! i guess this has been said by a lot of people, but if you diversify your note selection a little bit, you could definitely make the solo a lot more interesting.

sometimes playing a raised sixth in a minor key sounds really cool.
Quote by AeolianInvasion
There really isn't much to crit. I don't have enough of a discerning ear to pick out any minor flaws if there were any.

One question. You've got the skills and you've got the style. In what direction do you intend to take your music? The possibilities are endless with skills like yours. Do you have any plans on going pro?

c4c
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1469290

Hi,

Thanks so much !! prob the best compliment i have had in a long time

I don't have plans on going pro, it's something i do for fun, as i consider myself more a fan of music than a guitarist..

This is why i can't decide in what direction i would like to go. I like all kinds of music, from classical to blues. At the moment i am really interested in electronic music mixed with rock influences (daft punk, buckethead)

But i mostly play melodic stuff and gritty bluesy Gary Moore/Peter Green stuff..

Thanks again everybody for the nice feedback !

Cheers,

Very nice! I like how you stayed in the same area, yet remained creative and had cool little phrases and licks, instead of shredding the same pattern. lol Your tone was nice too. I felt like it wasn't too "sad" or "bluesy" sounding, more rock than either. But maybe that's what you were going for. It didn't sound as much like REAL rough, gritty blues, but more like a shredder or fusion players approach to it, if that makes any sense. Still sounded cool though!
And your SG's awesome.
Love the smiley face, but you should x out one of the eyes "watchmen" style! Your tone was really good! Wasn't very sad sounding, but you killed it riff wise. I could take some lessons from you!

- Chris
Too cool for a signature.
Quote by DavidRayT
Very nice! I like how you stayed in the same area, yet remained creative and had cool little phrases and licks, instead of shredding the same pattern. lol Your tone was nice too. I felt like it wasn't too "sad" or "bluesy" sounding, more rock than either. But maybe that's what you were going for. It didn't sound as much like REAL rough, gritty blues, but more like a shredder or fusion players approach to it, if that makes any sense. Still sounded cool though!
And your SG's awesome.

The sad part was a joke....It's from spinal tap 'Dm which is the saddest of all keys' hahaha but i guess you guys are a bit young to know spinal tap

Also i like how this song doesn't feel like blues/funk to you ! The backingtrack is defined as a blues track, combined with the fact that i am using mostly blues licks/scale and of course feel most people categorize this as a blues rock jam..

But to be honest, i just played what i felt was right, if you want to categorize in a genre be my guest ! it's up to the listner

Thanks for your feedback !!!

@chrisatgrace

You are giving me ideas !!! maybe i will cross one of the eyes out

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it

Cheers,
Yeah, I've been meaning to watch that.
Just re-read my crit, it sounded a little negative to me, I didn't mean for it to at all! I loved the video, and thought it sounded great. For an example of what I was trying to say, look up Yngwie Malmsteen's "Blue". I was trying to say it's kinda like that, but less shreddy. Still had a virtuoso's perfection kind of feel to it.
Great playing man I like your style like you said maybe a little more on the melodic side as opposed to gritty blues but personally I thought that kept it interesting.
you have solid chops and pretty clean playing but i felt it got a bit mechanical at points. maybe work on your phrasing and timing a bit? for soloing you need to have a vast repertoire of licks at your disposal, but choose them wisely! otherwise solid work, 8/10!
Quote by DavidRayT
Yeah, I've been meaning to watch that.
Just re-read my crit, it sounded a little negative to me, I didn't mean for it to at all! I loved the video, and thought it sounded great. For an example of what I was trying to say, look up Yngwie Malmsteen's "Blue". I was trying to say it's kinda like that, but less shreddy. Still had a virtuoso's perfection kind of feel to it.

Thanks man ! really appreciate it. I think i understand now where you are coming from.

@akack

You are right..The timing is wayyyyy offf But i'll work on my phrasing

Thanks for the feedback !
Last edited by cub0ne at Aug 22, 2011,
For Dm, it didnt actually contain minor phrasings... ??
And for a blues jam, it didnt have many 'blues' notes or phrasings again lol?
It was more a pentatonic jam in one position.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
For Dm, it didnt actually contain minor phrasings... ??
And for a blues jam, it didnt have many 'blues' notes or phrasings again lol?
It was more a pentatonic jam in one position.

Whatever ???

But most of my licks/phrases are 'borrowed' from BB King, Gary Moore and Peter Green.. In fact i got most of my phrasing from the song, still got the blues hahahaa I did a cover of that song and i can assure you, Gary mostly uses an A minor pentatonic scale for solooing

But this is a matter af taste. If you don't feel most of my phrasings sounds bluesy thats cool. Or if you think that i don't phrase at all..

Also BB king uses the C minor PENTATONIC scale for his song the thrill is gone.. would you also call it a 'pentatonic' jam ??

If you think that using the pentatonic scale, would have you to define your music, as a 'pentatonic' jam. Most blues/rock artist would have to use 'your' label to define their music....It's a SCALE not a genre

I feel like your crit isn't meant to be constructive but rather destructive (i could be wrong). But i still would like to thank you for taking the time and commenting !

Cheers,
Last edited by cub0ne at Aug 22, 2011,
Wow, that was really really good man. What are you using for the guitar tone? I love it.

The style of it reminds me a bit of the Money solo at the beginning.

I think everything you could possibly say was basically covered, my only comment is occasionally you'd repeat things a tad too much, or something you repeated already sounded like a previous lick just a note difference (Same rhythm).

Just remember that it's not the notes that make the solo, it's the air inbetween the notes. Slow it down occasionally; don't just blast it all out. You only have really tiny rests for the most part. Take a break and focus on one note, let it trail out. Towards the end you did this a little more, but then you went to the style of the beginning. I guess it's preference.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
heyyy =)
thanks for your comment on my cover,
you know you are an amazing guitar player, i mean who am i do judge your guitar skills =)
I love your cover, you are really amazing
and u should be getting alot more views!!!!!!
keep rocking =)
Hey man, thanks for your comment. What can I say about your performance? Very solid and tight, without any mistakes imo, everyone can see that you have a pretty good technique and you know how to use it, because not everyone with a good technique can improvise so well. I really enjoyed some of the moments in the video, there are very interesting ideas. Great tone! Keep going man, you are really good!
Hey thanks for your crit!

Thats some pretty sweet playing.. Nice tone to the piece too.. The guitar playing itself was solid and smooth. Overall it was a great job!

I'm diggin that smiley on your guitar too