I was thinking of maybe starting a "project guitar".. Fender strat style guitar to be more exact...

I was wondering, if anyone had experience with these two "Brands", and which they prefer, and which holds their value more...

This goes for the Bodies and Necks...

Is there a better choice?

PS: i would like use alder or ash.. not sure yet... or if that matters in this discussion..

Thanks!

EDIT:
If there is another brand out there than the other two, that are "better".. please list thanks.
Last edited by spadeswyld at Aug 17, 2011,
i heard usacustomguitars are good. i don't think project guitars have any 'value' except to the builder. any good ones i've seen on ebay always went for less than the sum of their parts. i think only collectable guitars hold any value.

i am planning on doing a project guitar myself one day because it would be great to have something exactly as you like it.

good luck with yours
warmoth is pretty much the best for quality. theyre a bit pricey, but if price isnt an option, id certainly go with them
I'm in the same mindset as the OP.

I think I'm going to go with Mighty Mite, mostly because I'd be ordering it through and supporting a local music shop. But Warmoth if you have the money!
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
something that interests me about musikraft is they have a finishing option called 'shellac' that is free saving around $100. is shellac just as good as say a satin finish?
Quote by Campestral
something that interests me about musikraft is they have a finishing option called 'shellac' that is free saving around $100. is shellac just as good as say a satin finish?

Every shellac finish I've seen is glossy. I personally don't like shellac, it's soft and non-resistant to water, so if you get any water on it, the finish clouds up. You can, however, fix the clouded spot by wiping it away with alcohol and applying more shellac. I don't know how that would look though.

Personally, I'd go with unfinished, and then add my own tru-oil.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Just got a custom Warmoth body, could NOT be happier with it. They do a great job, but they take a while to make it and send.

I agree 100%. I just finished my Warmoth build a month or so again, but took it apart earlier this week to redo the clearcoat. I did all the finishing myself. I decided to do a satin finish instead since I'm no pro at getting a glassy final product.

Basically warmoth, the quality is limited to the wood you choose, but rest assured. If you get a basswood body, its going to be the best a basswood body can be. If you get mahogany(like I did) its AMAZING.

I'm buying all the rest of my guitars from warmoth hands down. I personally don't care about resale value as I don't sell my guitars.
Quote by W4RP1G
Every shellac finish I've seen is glossy. I personally don't like shellac, it's soft and non-resistant to water, so if you get any water on it, the finish clouds up. You can, however, fix the clouded spot by wiping it away with alcohol and applying more shellac. I don't know how that would look though.

Personally, I'd go with unfinished, and then add my own tru-oil.
Shellac is one of the easiest to repair for scratches. I haven't seen it go cloudy with water. It is water-resistant and heat-resistant. Nasty internet rumors .... Glossy is one of its strong features, specially for those new to refinishing.

this shellac stuff seems to be confusing and i think w4rpig needs to get with the 12 steps lol as i read it's alcohol that makes it cloudy

i don't understand how it can be glossy and like satin at the same time, the musikraft site says it's practically invisible so the neck will be super fast ala satin. i really love the idea of a glossy neck that feels like satin. they do guarantee a shellac finish though so i guess it must be durable enough.

they also offer tung oil for $35, is that the kind of stuff you would use w4rpig?

i wonder why warmoth don't do 7.25" - 9.5" compound radius? they don't even do a full 7.25" with 22 frets, it has to be 21 frets. only online company i've seen that won't accommodate those basic specs the woods they have on offer though do look beautiful.

is a standard thin c shape the thinnest neck available?
in my opinion, the best bang for buck pre-cut body is the mahogany strat body from guitarfetish.com. their necks aren't bad either, but don't expect anything really fancy. still similar quality to something costing twice as much.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Aug 19, 2011,
those are amazing prices, especially the bare bodies for learning how to make your own finishes without breaking the bank.
Just a fun fact, Shellac is crushed up bugs, it's very brittle and they used to make records out of it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by CJ Noble
in my opinion, the best bang for buck pre-cut body is the mahogany strat body from guitarfetish.com. their necks aren't bad either, but don't expect anything really fancy. still similar quality to something costing twice as much.
I've read here and other forums that the quality is inconsistent. But when they're fine, people have been very happy indeed.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Just a fun fact, Shellac is crushed up bugs, it's very brittle and they used to make records out of it.
Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

Quote by Ippon
I've read here and other forums that the quality is inconsistent. But when they're fine, people have been very happy indeed.

I've heard that about the necks but nothing like that about the bodies
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E