Hello UG,

I'm thinking about buying 3 pedals: an equalizer, overdrive and a tuner.
I have done my homework and narrowed down to a few choices:

Equalizer: BOSS GE7, MXR 10-Band, MXR 6-Band
Overdrive: Ibanez tubescreamer series, Maxon OD
Tuner: Polytune, Korg pitchblack, Boss TU3

Feel free to recommend others though.

And also a few questions:
where should I put the pedals? (I was thinking tuner-od-amp and eq in fx loop)
will I have to buy 3 separate adapters?
will I be able to use the tuner as some kind of volume pedal?
EDIT: also, what is the tuner input on the volume pedals? What does it do?

Thanks

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Last edited by Bauwke at Aug 17, 2011,
i don't have an eq pedal or either of those ods, but i can tell you about my tuner

I have the tu-3 and it's my only boss pedal, It's phenominal!
It's a huge step up from my previous intelitouch-type tuner and it picks up notes within a split second and the accuracy is spot on, i really really like it.
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
Quote by Bauwke
Hello UG,

I'm thinking about buying 3 pedals: an equalizer, overdrive and a tuner.
I have done my homework and narrowed down to a few choices:

Equalizer: BOSS GE7, MXR 10-Band, MXR 6-Band
Overdrive: Ibanez tubescreamer series, Maxon OD
Tuner: Polytune, Korg pitchblack, Boss TU3

Feel free to recommend others though.

And also a few questions:
where should I put the pedals? (I was thinking tuner-od-amp and eq in fx loop)
will I have to buy 3 separate adapters?
will I be able to use the tuner as some kind of volume pedal?
EDIT: also, what is the tuner input on the volume pedals? What does it do?

Thanks

for starters an OD and tuner go in front of the amp not in the loop. no you can't use the tuner for anything but tuning. as for what might suit you best it would help to know what guitar and amp you use as well as styles of music played.
Quote by rocknroll radio
i don't have an eq pedal or either of those ods, but i can tell you about my tuner

I have the tu-3 and it's my only boss pedal, It's phenominal!
It's a huge step up from my previous intelitouch-type tuner and it picks up notes within a split second and the accuracy is spot on, i really really like it.

Haha I would prefer a step up from my shit stagg tuner as well

Quote by monwobobbo
for starters an OD and tuner go in front of the amp not in the loop. no you can't use the tuner for anything but tuning. as for what might suit you best it would help to know what guitar and amp you use as well as styles of music played.

Well that's what a said tuner-od-amp
Doesn't the tuner mute the sound when you press it?
Guitar and amp are in signature, I play post-hardcore (so like heavier parts with clean interludes) and will probably get my guitar set up in drop c if that is any help.

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I have the Boss GE-7 and the MXR M-108 (10 band). Get the MXR. I have the Boss OS-2, Ibanez TS-7, and Ibanez TS-9DX. Get the TS-9/TS-9DX. Any of those tuners would work well, but I went with a Planet Waves Tru Strobe when I got mine. I liked the accuracy. As for placement, Guitar>Tuner>EQ>OD>Amp. None of those belong in the FX loop really. The tuner, depending on model, may or may not mute the guitar when used. The Tru Strobe has 2 outputs, 1 for muting and 1 for not muting.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
I have the Boss GE-7 and the MXR M-108 (10 band). Get the MXR. I have the Boss OS-2, Ibanez TS-7, and Ibanez TS-9DX. Get the TS-9/TS-9DX. Any of those tuners would work well, but I went with a Planet Waves Tru Strobe when I got mine. I liked the accuracy. As for placement, Guitar>Tuner>EQ>OD>Amp. None of those belong in the FX loop really. The tuner, depending on model, may or may not mute the guitar when used. The Tru Strobe has 2 outputs, 1 for muting and 1 for not muting.

Was actually planning on buying the MXR, always had a thing against boss pedals and marshall amps, don't know why though. What are the differences between the ibanez tubescreamers? Doesn't the eq in fx loop placement give you more control? So if the tuner has a muting function I could use it for momentary muting my sound? (Although it's probably not advised)

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I have all 3 you are looking at.

Firstly, the TU-3. Pretty much the industry standard for most gigging musicians. It's built to last and very very accurate, easy to use, what is there not to like?

The 10 band eq is probably one of my most important pedals. Great for that extra boost if you want to stand out whilst playing a lead part in the song. Perfect for shaping the overall tone if you aren't happy with certain area which you feel need brushing up on. The MXR is excellent at doing that. Defintely go for the 10 band version. The more versatility, the better!

My maxon OD 808 is great. Very good at tightening up the low end of my amp and preventing my tone from getting flubby and boomy. It gives it that extra oomph which you will notice straight away as soon as you activate the pedal. Also it's a purdy colour

Note that the MXR eq is 18 volts which means if you are using it with a power brick it will need a special connection.

On the topic of power bricks, if you are planning on building a nice pedal setup I would definitely recommend the voodoo labs pedal power plus 2. Fantastic for any gigging musician. Built very well, keep everything neat and tidy and most importantly doesn't produce unwanted noise. For a cheaper alternative the BBE Supa charger would be good as well..

Hope this helps!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
ive heard the boss EQ is very noisy, id say the mxr 10 band

for the OD, theyre both very similar so whatever is cheaper i guess

and i love my boss tu3 so id say that
Adam124,
So basically, any of the tuners would be fine, just a matter of personal preferance?
About the eq, I read somewhere that it can be used for bass too, wouldn't that leave the lowest frequencies unuseable for guitar?
Thanks, will take a better look at the maxon
About the power supply; don't think I can afford one of those, and are they really necessary with only 3 pedals (although i might buy more later)?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
I cannot recommend the WAY HUGE Green Rhino enough. Out of all the ODs I tried (and the two I own) it is my favorite, hands down. I particularly like the extra knobs: the bass knob (+/- 12db) and the curve knob (adjusts the mids).
As for an EQ, I would have like to get the M-108, but I settled for a Fish&Chips and have absolutely no regrets. I may upgrade one day, though.
I can't speak for any of the pedal tuners, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on a Polytune.
Also, I would recommend the Fuel Tank Jr for your power supplies. I love mine.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Aug 17, 2011,
Will check out the green rhino, thanks, by the way, should I go used for pedals?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Bauwke
Will check out the green rhino, thanks, by the way, should I go used for pedals?

Yes
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Here's my 2 cents.

EQ: MXR 10 Band
OD: Maxon 808

I dont use any of those tuners so I cant help you there. I think that a decent EQ with a decent amount of control (up to you to decide how many sliders you want) is one of the most imortant pedals you can buy, with an OD being second. As you can see in my sig, all I use is a 10 Band EQ with an OD purchase on the way.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Thanks everybody, maxon od seems to be pretty good as well, what about the tubescreamers? Didn't read to much about those here

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Also, can anyone explain the gain and volume sliders on the mxr eq?

Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Above advice is good, just want to comment on the EQ: The MXR 10 Band is the best stock EQ, but my problem with it is that it's 18V, so it's a PITA to work with on a pedalboard. I have a Boss GE7 (MIJ), and I really like it. It takes up a lot less space than the MXR, and it's 9V.

Sure it's noisy, but I usually play very high gain stuff, so I'm running a noise gate anyway. I don't ever agree with the complaints of pedal noise, since if you're running a few pedals, and/or are playing high gain, you should have a noise gate anyway.

Just something to think about.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
tonerider would be worth considering for the od- far as i'm aware it's a true bypass ts9 clone (or pretty close, anyway). There's a dealer (maybe two) in the netherlands, as far as i'm aware.

Only mention it because, as i said, it's basically the same thing (and they're built pretty well) for a lot less cash.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love the Boss GE 7 EQ's.
I actually run 2, one for some color and one for a nice clean boost. Both at the end of my loop line.
I always hear about how noisy they are, but I have 2 that add no noise at all.
Throwing EQ in my rig has been one of the best moves I've made so far.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3