Hi guys

I need big help with something. I am doing a guitar course=, we do performance workshops and similar things every week.

When I started the course my right hand technique was very poor. My strumming was soft, I didn't know where to put up strokes and down strokes, and it generally lacked severe confidence. My teacher would bring this up every week, I was working incredibly hard on it, it was very frustrating at time, but one day it just clicked into place and my teacher was very proud.

Now I need the same to happen with my picking. That is all types of picking really. My picking hand gets shy when ever it has to play detail (actually it got a bit shy playing lively up yourself last week). When I am practising it is fine, but once I am up in an assessment or on stage my hand becomes hard to control, it quivers and my picking becomes terrible. Its like I am not in control of my hand some times. I am working very hard on it, but its just not clicking. I am struggling to find confidence and trust with my picking. Its ok when I am just practising, its just when performing.

With my strumming I now know exactly where the ups and downs go, my movements big, strong, relaxed and confident. I don't have any doubts over that any more.

Now I need my picking to do the same.

Note this is not stage fright, and can not be diagnosed fairly as stage fright.

Any advice you guys have will be incredibly appreciated.
Sounds like stage fright to me....

If you can do it fine when you're practicing on your own, but have this problem when you're playing in front of people, what else can you describe it as?

Do you ever practice with other people, either as part of a band or just jamming with friends? That could be a good way to get used to playing in front of people.

Alternatively, just give it time. You said it yourself - the previous problem you were having just clicked into place, this will too if you practice enough.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
When in doubt... strict alternate picking. Start on a down, proceed with an up and then pretty much go from there. Past that it's just practice.

Also if it only happens when you're performing for people, how is that not stage fright?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by jkielq91
By its not stage fright I mean I am not scared of playing in front of people.

I enjoy it in fact.

Call it performance anxiety then, the name is just misleading; it's you being put off your technique by playing in front of people. I love playing to crowds but I still get nervous about it

I think this is just one of those experience things; the more you play for people the less it becomes an issue.

Quote by funky_monk94
seems like something that could be cured with a 6 pack......

Worst. Solution. Ever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Call it performance anxiety then, the name is just misleading; it's you being put off your technique by playing in front of people. I love playing to crowds but I still get nervous about it

I think this is just one of those experience things; the more you play for people the less it becomes an issue.

But I am finding its not improving, and it is the one thing holding me back.

I can do super legato, strumming and stuff fine of stage. That's all very confident.

Does any one have any specific tips?
Does any one have tips for some things I can do to just to raise the confidence in my picking and make me certain I am and can do it right?

When I first started (and then for about 2 years) I used to hook my picking round the pick up ring or top string when I picked, which I know is terrible. I don't do it when I practice but once I am on stage its like I have to fight against my hand to stop it from gripping. My hand often wins.