My guitarist put me to study the whole discography of Avenged Sevenfold, and the only album I am really having trouble with is

I can't really keep up with what the Rev is playing on this album. He's doing fills, and these weird beats...

So I need help on this... Like.. A lot.

Especially this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwhUqDsQwww
ah.. um i know a kid who can play it but he doesnt make vids. if he did i would help you out but for now, good luck with that
I can tell you nothing that the Rev plays is going to be particularly complex or unusual... just listen with headphones, and pay attention to the melodies being played on the toms in the case of that beginning grooves or any of the fills. It's mostly just bass drum + rack toms, and combining 16ths and 32nds in the beginning, or double bass quads for a lot of the fills.
Quote by Steve08
It's mostly just bass drum + rack toms, and combining 16ths and 32nds in the beginning, or double bass quads for a lot of the fills.

Sounds pretty difficult.
Quote by TheRenamonLove
Sounds pretty difficult.
Those fills are awesome for a couple reasons: they sound really nice when you play them fast and are basically the easiest thing to play fast ever. And also they don't really take much stamina to play because you're only playing two notes on either the hands or feet, one on either hand, and one on either foot.

Just try two notes on the hands (preferably snare but it doesn't matter), then two on the feet, as 16ths. At a slow tempo, like 100. Do that for 5 minutes every day for a week, and up the tempo at your own discretion if it's really easy-- make sure all the notes are even. You will be able to shred those (16ths at 240+ bpm) after two months, if not earlier than that.

Grooves with similar ideas (or just two 32nd notes on the bass drum) will also come easily if you practice things like that.
Quote by Steve08
Those fills are awesome for a couple reasons: they sound really nice when you play them fast and are basically the easiest thing to play fast ever. And also they don't really take much stamina to play because you're only playing two notes on either the hands or feet, one on either hand, and one on either foot.

Just try two notes on the hands (preferably snare but it doesn't matter), then two on the feet, as 16ths. At a slow tempo, like 100. Do that for 5 minutes every day for a week, and up the tempo at your own discretion if it's really easy-- make sure all the notes are even. You will be able to shred those (16ths at 240+ bpm) after two months, if not earlier than that.

Grooves with similar ideas (or just two 32nd notes on the bass drum) will also come easily if you practice things like that.

Thank you! You must have been a GOD SEND!

It makes so much sense now.

But how does it lay up?

Like 2 beats on one hand or 2 beats with both hands or 2 beats each hand, and 2 beats with both feet, 2 beats one foot, or 2 beats each foot?
Last edited by TheRenamonLove at Aug 19, 2011,
It's just a cover. Every drum teacher I've ever had always said to try to keep it close to the track when it comes to groves, and usually the fills are in certain spots repeatedly, and they usually are generally the same fill every time, perhaps just moved around the kit.
Quote by Punk Hysteria
It's just a cover. Every drum teacher I've ever had always said to try to keep it close to the track when it comes to groves, and usually the fills are in certain spots repeatedly, and they usually are generally the same fill every time, perhaps just moved around the kit.

Well the tribute band is going to be as authentic as possible.

I've been paying more attention to the music and live videos.

He's just playing on a standard kit with a few cymbals.

I asked my guitarist's brother and he said that he was playing flams, ghost notes. I thought he was doing paradidles.