So, I recently picked up the Jcm 800 2203kk Kerry King signature model on ebay. I really wanted something to balance out the lack of mids on my 6505. Well......I didnt realize it was THAT middy. I know there's a mid spike on the Beat EQ in this amp but damn. When I turn the mids on the amp eq down it sounds like doo doo. I'm starting to think this isn't quite what I'm looking for....I would have tried it in person but the nearest guitar center is 1.5 hours away from me and my local music shop doesnt carry marshalls.

So I'm think I want something a bit more modern. Should I stay Marshall and go with the Jcm2000 DSL or Jvm 210H? Or go Mesa and get a dual Rec or Stilleto Duece?

I have a madison divinity whcih I really like but its broken, I heard its similar to the Stiletto but the stiiletto is way better. Any thoughts?>
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
i think the jvm's are awesome. although they're fairly pricey. i've found jcm2000 for less than $1000 on ebay.

if you don't like those, and money isn't an issue, than id go with a dual rectifier
lack of mids on my 6505

Are you out of your mind? 6505s are insanely middy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
What type of music do you play? Metal?? Rock??

The best metal distortion in an amp will always be the Mesa Boogie Dual Rect IMO.

The best rock distortion IMO are the Blackstar combos.
NIN + Muse + Radiohead + Tool + Metal & Dubstep =

THE METAL SHALL PREVAIL!!!

<<----- politics!
Well my friend, thats what you get with signature amps, or signature anything. They are all in the same style as that player, so they are designed to their spec. I think a non-signature marshall head is definitely the way to go. The music shop I work at has a jcm2000 head, and there is tons of versatility in their, and if you still want a heavy sound then there are loads of good pedals that can give you that. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say, any questions message me at JRGuitar@hotmail.co.uk Hope this helps
Quote by Musefan777
What type of music do you play? Metal?? Rock??

The best metal distortion in an amp will always be the Mesa Boogie Dual Rect IMO.

The best rock distortion IMO are the Blackstar combos.

diezel.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Raijouta
Are you out of your mind? 6505s are insanely middy.

That was my first thought exactly!
Quote by nickdohle
That was my first thought exactly!

If you've messed with a 6505/5150 then you'll see that the mids are harsh as hell and unbearable at high volumes. I cant turn the mid past three without getting dirty looks in the audience haha. they are there, but that doesnt mean they sound good. And yes I've messed with the eq extensively. I just want a smoother distortion for a nice blend.
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
i think this might be the first time i've given this advice but it might be time to check your pickups.

Budget isnt really much of a concern, as whatever I want I can sell the Jcm800 and am almost guaranteed to make profit as I only paid 650 bucks for it and it was brand new.

BUT, I changed the v1 and v2 preamp tubes from the stock marshall ECC83's to Sovtek 12ax7LPS tubes and it really brought the tone to life. Took a little of the mids away and made it sound a little less hollow. I might play with it a little bit more and see what I can do with it.

BTW. I play hardcore. (waiting for the bashfest to begin) Think of bands like Biohazard, Fury of Five, and Merauder.

The tone I'm looking for is slightly more modern though....like hatebreed's Rise of Brutality
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
If I were to stick with the JCM what would be the best speaker to pair with it? I have a Mesa oversized cab with V30's but I dont like the way they pair up and I'm ordering a custom cab from Avatar next month and want to know what speaker to ook for
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
hmm if you play really modern stuff...the jcm800 might not be best i suppose.

v30s are usually pretty good for that type of sound.

i like eminance wizards and swamp thangs.

does the kk have presence and depth on the back?

Quote by AcousticMirror
hmm if you play really modern stuff...the jcm800 might not be best i suppose.

v30s are usually pretty good for that type of sound.

i like eminance wizards and swamp thangs.

does the kk have presence and depth on the back?

It has presence on the front, no knobs on the back though.
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
So...
You play modern music...
You bought a JCM 800...
You did know it was intrduced in 1981, right?
So that makes it 30 years old...
And that just about every 80's band played one right?
So we're on the same page when we say "You bought an 80's amp for modern "hardcore" music!"

Then you took it a step further and paid more for less by buying the Kerry King signature version...

Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 17, 2011,
I didn't know people put Long Plate 12AX7s in anything other than the phase inverter? I personally wouldn't go with Sovtek either but it is good to know you got some 'life'. I wonder what some JJ's would do? But I digress. I'm with AcousticMirror - you may want something a bit more modern.

Assuming the cab is something you would keep for a while and you are not super thrilled with the Vintage 30s you could so something crazy like get the Avatar Trad212 closed back with a G1230H and a Classic Lead 80. That is what I did. Wait, that won't give you 100 watts. Maybe some G12K-100s. I think they resell those. Or hell, just get a Splawn cab with Small Blocks (made by Eminence) and be done with it

j/k a bit there i'm not trying to push you into what I have exactly.

Maybe just a Recto with EL34s
Quote by Bad.Seed
If I were to stick with the JCM what would be the best speaker to pair with it? I have a Mesa oversized cab with V30's but I dont like the way they pair up and I'm ordering a custom cab from Avatar next month and want to know what speaker to ook for

As some have pointed out already, the Marshall KK Signature is one person's idea of the perfect amplifier. Mr. King and Co. are not known for using a lot of different tones, so the KK Signature is something of a WYSIWYG amp. The other thing to keep in mind is that King plays his Signature Marshall amplifiers through a collection of Marshall MF400 Mode Four cabinets. These are larger than the standard Marshall 1960 cabinets and have a much more pronounced bass response. If you can find one, you might want to try your amp on such a cabinet.

If you don't like the Celestion V30, you could look at the Celestion G12 series, or the various offerings from Eminence.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
So...
You play modern music...
You bought a JCM 800...
You did know it was intrduced in 1981, right?
So that makes it 30 years old...
And that just about every 80's band played one right?
So we're on the same page when we say "You bought an 80's amp for modern "hardcore" music!"

Then you took it a step further and paid more for less by buying the Kerry King signature version...

It was really more of an experiment than anything. It was meant to blend together with the modern amp I already have. I never said I fully expected it to work.

I know when it was introduced.
I know who used it.
I did not expect a modern tone from it.

and paid more for less? The 2203kk is just like a classic 800 without the "Beast" switch engaged. The only real difference is its running on KT-88 power tubes as opposed to regular EL34's. Show me a used 1985 JCM800 2203 in like new condition with new tubes for less than 700 dollars.......oh wait

Your post was meant to be sarcastic and demean me. Although it was sarcastic, you failed to insult me or make me look stupid for that matter because most of your accusations are assumptions. I realize I am not an expert but I'm also not clueless.

If you have some real information or insight to add to this thread its gladly welcomed. If not you can continue to insult me to no avail and I will continue to be amused

Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by FatalGear41
As some have pointed out already, the Marshall KK Signature is one person's idea of the perfect amplifier. Mr. King and Co. are not known for using a lot of different tones, so the KK Signature is something of a WYSIWYG amp. The other thing to keep in mind is that King plays his Signature Marshall amplifiers through a collection of Marshall MF400 Mode Four cabinets. These are larger than the standard Marshall 1960 cabinets and have a much more pronounced bass response. If you can find one, you might want to try your amp on such a cabinet.

If you don't like the Celestion V30, you could look at the Celestion G12 series, or the various offerings from Eminence.

Although I have never heard a JCM800 in person before I purchased this amp, I was told that these are nearly Identical to the classic 2203 without the "beast" switch engaged which adds another gain stage, a customized Eq and a noise gate. Without it, its just a regular JCM800 running on Kt-88's.

I also wasn't necessarily going for slayer's tone by purchasing this amp. I just knew that a lot of older metal bands used it, and this is the cheapest one I could find and well, it was designed for high gain metal.
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
^I put the beers and smileys at the end as a "Haha man, just giving you a hard time." But if you'd like to feel insulted and demeaned that's your right I guess. In my experience the JCM is a wonderful amp, but I don't know why anyone would buy it to play modern music, even with a "beast mode", all I was saying...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
^I put the beers and smileys at the end as a "Haha man, just giving you a hard time." But if you'd like to feel insulted and demeaned that's your right I guess. In my experience the JCM is a wonderful amp, but I don't know why anyone would buy it to play modern music, even with a "beast mode", all I was saying...

Well then I apologize for the misinterpretation.

I'm not saying I dont like it, I'm just saying it didnt blend quite like I was hoping it might....although with the 12ax7's in the preamp, its made it sound a bit more for what I was looking for
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
have you tried dialing it in and everything, then turning its volume all the way down and slowing bringing it up in the mix. i think that would help it blend better. have your 6505 up and roaring and then slowly bring in the jcm
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
have you tried dialing it in and everything, then turning its volume all the way down and slowing bringing it up in the mix. i think that would help it blend better. have your 6505 up and roaring and then slowly bring in the jcm

Yes I have actually, jus tried it tonight after i changed the preamp tubes out. I noticed that the combination sounds best when the JCM is slightly quieter than the 6505, providing an accent and not so much altering the overall tone by a mile
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
thats exactly what i figured would be the case. haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I didn't know people put Long Plate 12AX7s in anything other than the phase inverter? I personally wouldn't go with Sovtek either but it is good to know you got some 'life'. I wonder what some JJ's would do? But I digress. I'm with AcousticMirror - you may want something a bit more modern.

Long plate 12AX7's are very popular in V1 except in combos (they tend to be too microphonic for combos). The JJ ECC803S is a very long plate valve with a very low noise floor. In a head they are hard to beat for V1 where noise floor is critical. You really have to spend hundreds of dollars on a Telefunken ECC803 to do much better and who can afford $1k+ for a valve?

As for the on-topic amp thing; if it was me I'd just mod what you have.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 17, 2011,
seriously have a look into splawn. 311 has a Quickrod, which he recommended earlier, and they are killer amps.

i have a Pro Mod (same as QR but with KT88's instead of EL34's), as well as a Nitro (KT88), which is their brootz amp, and it amazes me every time i turn it on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree with you about the Sovteks though 311. No way I'd put any Sovtek in the PI or any stage with a cathode follower (normally just the tone stack and loop/reverb driver). They turn up their toes and die too quickly when subjected to that much current. Basically, they are crap; long plate or short plate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Matt Pike of High on Fire uses a Soldano SLO mixed with a JCM 800 KK on their most recent album, sounds heavy as hell to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AXd8B1q_CA&feature=related

It's certainly not a typical metal tone, however.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I think, traditionally, the JCM800 is paired with G12H30 in the Marshall cabinets. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don
t know if I would like an 800 through v30s, TBH.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I think, traditionally, the JCM800 is paired with G12H30 in the Marshall cabinets. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don
t know if I would like an 800 through v30s, TBH.

I don't care for it through the v30's too much myself
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

good point. Those x 4 = 120w

nice speakers

gregs1020 has it now as I sold my Avatar to him to fund the Splawn cab but I'm not sure what he did with it
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
good point. Those x 4 = 120w

nice speakers

gregs1020 has it now as I sold my Avatar to him to fund the Splawn cab but I'm not sure what he did with it

How about the Jcm through an avatar cab with 4x k100's? any thoughts?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Maybe an X pattern with 2-G12H30s

(120w t)

Read the definition of the Classic Lead 80 on Avatar's site. That is pretty much what I wanted. Balanced with a G12H30 in my 212. Mic one or the other.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 18, 2011,