I'm about to head off to college to study jazz guitar, but I need a nice amp to do so(my amp is a peavey jsx which is just way too big to be lugging all over the place). I'm willing to spend right up to 1000 if needed. I was thinking fender but my guitar prof said that I should get an amp that is at least 50 watts tube or 90 solid state...and most nice fenders are 20-30 watts so any suggestions? ideas of other amps to check out? Thanks
Roland JC-120. It's a 120-W solid state amp with great cleans, although you may need not that much power. Here's a link to this amp on the Roland website. There are plenty of YouTube demos, but I recommend trying one out. I've seen Roland JC's in my area for well under $1000 CAD, although I can't recall if they were 120s or lower-wattage models.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
your guitar teacher may be a wise guitar master, but on this topic he is misinformed. any of those 20-30 watt fenders will be fine. I REALLY like the clean and drive sounds of the blues deluxe. Vox AC-30 with tremolo and reverb sounds great too. Roland JC120 is SUPER clean, almost too much so. but it's going to be a bitch to lug around. i would suggest not getting ANY 2x12 combo, because they're more of a bitch to transport than a head and cab. Carvin vintage series amps have pretty good clean tones to. Next they'll be telling you that you can only play jazz on a full hollow-bodied guitar
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Aug 17, 2011,
Yes I need an amp that is portable...or at least somewhat...my jsx has a pretty nice clean channel but it weighs 80 pounds and that is the lone reason why I'm not using it...although using this as an excuse to get an ac30 or ac15 would be awesome...I love ac's so much. Butr a fender could be great too
Quote by Weirdbag
Sry, but unless you want to gig with this amp, I don't really see a point in that.

It's for jazz. It has to be super squeaky clean even over a horns section and a drummer. You really do need that much juice for jazz.

Short list of options:
-Anything by Polytone. They are, to me, THE jazz amp. Lots of volume, portable, tough, and very affordable, especially used. They are made specifically for jazz and sound great. Unlike a JC-120 or a Twin, you can get one up a flight of stairs comfortably. You may want an extension cab with some of the smaller models, depending on room size.

-Fender Twin. Impossible to carry, but a great clean jazz amp. Plenty of headroom and a good throw pattern.

-Fender Bassman/Showman/Dual Showman/Bandmaster/Bandmaster Reverb/Concert/etc etc. - You can often get one of the older silverface or even blackface head units of these amps, which are great jazz amps, for $500 or so. Put one on a good 1x12 cab for a great jazz rig.

-Mesa Mark II - Not strictly a jazz amp, but it does a good job at it and is a decently sized combo with enough power for most jazz players

-Tech 21 60/410 - A good SS amp with a decent amount of power. You might want a little more juice than this one has to offer, but it's worth mentioning.

I would not suggest a JC-120. They are big, heavy, and don't offer anything to show for it unless you really like stereo chorusing. If you want a SS amp, get a polytone. If you want a tube amp, try a polytone first just to make sure, then get a Fender.
HAHAHA 6505+....that is too funny...and yeah...I'm just thinking that since my school has not only jazz bands, but also a fusion band, and a rock band that an amp that can handle those genres would be nice. I'd also loveee an amp that I could run with my JSX in an AB switch type deal and play rock or alternative and use the jazz amp for cleans only.
roland jc120? they go 500$ all day in my area.

if thats not your cup of tea then theres prolly better suggestions already
Polytone or Henriksen, with the Henriksen being preferable. A simple 1x12 combo will allow you to transport easily.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
possibly an Egnater Renegade head and the Tourmaster 212? check it. could give you everything you need in one amp.

i agree with this. i know a professional that bought one for jazz and they sound great
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
i agree with this. i know a professional that bought one for jazz and they sound great

Except that he's got to;
a) get it to college with him
b) probably lug it around on occasion

Any jazz musician's amp is a huge part of his individual tone. Portability is key, especially when the OP may be sitting in frequently with different groups, or, like the students here, playing live as much as possible.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
^ all good points.

he also said he's tired of lugging the JSX. I'm assuming he's talking about the combo. If that is the case - I agree.

a head and 212 cab is not that bad actually. but I get what you are saying.

plus he mentioned possibly ABY the Jazz amp with his JSX

egnater option gets him down to one amp
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Highly desirable. Believe it or not, I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of some gear, as I can make my Triaxis/2:90 do anything I need it to. Yet there is still that pesky big, heavy 2x12 I over-engineered and built.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Hunter44
ZT Lunchbox or Club

Excellent possibility. The Club has a fantastic jazz tone. The Lunchbox requires the extension cab to compete.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
otherwise I would probably just fall back on a Cube 80xl, more versatility if one does not have pedals
Lunchbox into a 1x12 cab not half bad either
Last edited by Hunter44 at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
he also said he's tired of lugging the JSX.

a head and 212 cab is not that bad actually.

If portability is an issue, then I agree with this. Look into Egnater amps. They make a lot of really versatile amps across a range of wattages. I've got a Tweaker head and a Vox 1x12 cabinet, and it's really easy to move. Sure it's two pieces, but they're a lot lighter and easier to maneuver than a comparable combo would be.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
The polytone mini-brute 4 looks awesome. And I found one for 250 used. I'm willing to gamble on it. It's so affordable compared to most of these other amps like fenders. And it sounds amazing from what I've heard...I just might jump on it
Told you they go cheap used - retail on the IV is $1050.
I would be all over that thing. I got my MB II for 200 and couldn't be happier with it.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Roland JC-120. It's a 120-W solid state amp with great cleans, although you may need not that much power. Here's a link to this amp on the Roland website. There are plenty of YouTube demos, but I recommend trying one out. I've seen Roland JC's in my area for well under $1000 CAD, although I can't recall if they were 120s or lower-wattage models.

this amp is seriously a gem in the solid state world. the cleans are so incredible. my school had a few for the guitar majors to use because that's what my professor used. i almost bought one, but i wanted tubes and didn't want to be limited to cleans (the distortion on that is really not good).
i saw someone mentioned the blues deluxe.. i used that for my recital and all of the combos i played for. sounds great, the clean isn't THAT clean, it breaks up easily.. but not too much. my favorite jazz guitarist is wes montgomery, and he was using tube amps and so a lot of his stuff is has a little bit of natural dirt from the tubes. it's just a better bluesy jazz sound. i don't like it when the amps sound too clean.. that little bit of dirt sounds so much better to me..and trust me.. the blues deluxe is PLENTY loud enough. i wouldn't want a 5 watt or something because then it would be distorting from driving the amp to compete with the drummers, bassist, etc. but 20 watts tube would do the trick, no problem