I have an RG 1570 Prestige Ibanez guitar that Im pretty satisfied with, I love its versatility (rock and metal and everything in between) but the neck is a bit thin for me. I dont shred like Vai and I dont ever plan to, the only reason I got the guitar was because of the bang by buck ratio.

I was hoping to get another versatile guitar ( a hardtail this time preferably) that could do both heavy metal and hard rock (Active pickups are not an option for me).

I was thinking epiphone or LTD because they are both pretty close in profile to a gibson. Im also looking into which neck profile type is best for my tastes, I know there are different ones ( V, D C, Etc.) but I am not sure which neck type is best for what playing style.

Maybe someone could shed some light on these things for me and help clarify?
Last edited by weswood404 at Aug 17, 2011,
well, any neck can do any type of music. sure, slim c's and d's are more common in shred than a deep v, but any neck can do pretty well anything in the right hands (conversely, the wrong neck will be completely incapable of anything in the wrong hands). you're gonna have to go to a shop and play some necks and figure out what feels best for you. there are no hard and fast rules that say "you must play neck X for style Y".

also, LTD's are less like gibsons than you may think. apart from having similar silhouettes, there is very little, if any, similarity between an LTD and a gibson/epiphone. again, try them out, you may or may not like them and you can go from there.
V and D shaped necks are the thinner neck profiles, stuff you'd find on Jackson, Dean and Ibanez. I'm pretty sure C shapped is the standard Strat kinda neck, and the profile on a les paul style would be a thicker C shape.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
SG's have pretty comfy necks, if your going for Epiphone though, get a custom, they are way better quality.

The LTD Viper suits metal a bit more, but the design aspects are pretty much the same.

Apart from that Les Paul's have a nice fitting neck, Strat's might suit you a bit more, if your used to normal frets instead of Jumbo frets.

Telecaster necks are pretty round, but quite small, but the tone from any Telecaster can cut through noise like a knife through butter :P

Keep in mind that Ibanez fretboards are usually fairly flat, so if your gonna go to the more vintage based models (Les Pauls, Sgs, Strats and Teles) the fretboard is gonna feel a bit different, but you get a lot more warmth for your tone with these models.
well see Im not sure what to get then. Im not a shredder, but I like the option. I suppose your right that I will have to just play a guitar before I buy it, that was my mistake when i purchased the ibanez RG1570, I bought it online.

my choices at the moment are between ibanez, ESP/LTD and Gibson/Epiphone
Quote by ClickSwitch
SG's have pretty comfy necks, if your going for Epiphone though, get a custom, they are way better quality.

The LTD Viper suits metal a bit more, but the design aspects are pretty much the same.

Apart from that Les Paul's have a nice fitting neck, Strat's might suit you a bit more, if your used to normal frets instead of Jumbo frets.

Telecaster necks are pretty round, but quite small, but the tone from any Telecaster can cut through noise like a knife through butter :P

Keep in mind that Ibanez fretboards are usually fairly flat, so if your gonna go to the more vintage based models (Les Pauls, Sgs, Strats and Teles) the fretboard is gonna feel a bit different, but you get a lot more warmth for your tone with these models.

Thats the thing, I want tone more than fast playability, If I do play metal its going to be more similar to Zakk Wyldes style than anything any Ibanez player does, ( i dont agree with 24/7 sweeping and I love blues based metal riffs)
i would actually recommend taking a look at Jackson. the necks are a bit thicker than the Ibanez neck profiles, but they're still thinner than a Strat, so you can play near enough anything on them
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
actually, let me ask this. The Ibanez Jetking (first series) is the guitar I play the most, and its neck is a bit thicker. http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/guitars-sale-trade-wanted/112773-ibanez-jet-king-jtk1-sale-trade.html is my other ibanez I play the most and is my first guitar, What neck profile is that and what type of guitar would this neck profile be closest to? ( I know its not a wizard neck, wizard necks are all right but they are TOO thin, I like thin but wizard II is just abit silly, its unneccesary and makes chording somewhat uncomfortable, I would never ever want to sacrifice comfort ability for speed.
Quote by LostKeys
Schecter Tempest.

'nuff said.

Most Schecters will get you where you want, I think. Tempests are good; Solo 6's and C1s are nice too. I'd recommend a Solo-6 because they come in a ridiculously wide array of hardware and pickup configurations, but if you prefer one of the other body styles then go for it.

ESPs are closer to Ibanez in terms of feel and tone than they are to Gibson. If you're looking for something more old-school I would not recommend one.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass