Hi,
I have been playing guitar for the best part of three years and I have only had a few lucky scrapes when going for pinch harmonics and I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on it.
Keep practicing it. I'm in the same boat with you. I can get it more often now, but it seems like once you get it the first few times, you'll be able to do it no problem.

Its like one of those things that just clicks at some point.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Choke up more on the pick so your fingers are really close to the tip, I like doing it on the B or G string around the 5th fret, turn up your gain and volume. And for some reason when I started out bending the string right after I played the pinch for some reason helped a little bit. Hope any of that is remotely useful
Try to hold the pick with the tip on the edge of your thumb. Make sure your thumb touches the string immediately after the pick does. Keep practicing and good luck!!
I find the pick to make a big huge difference.

I used to play with a .88 Dunlop Tortex. It couldn't do pinch harmonics for shit. Then I got a hold of a Dunlop Ultex Sharp, and it's way WAY better for solos, and somehow I learned to choke the pick a lot more, and then I started to do pinch harmonics every now and then, but never consistently.

Then I found the king. Dunlop Jazz III. Admittedly I only bought one because that's what Pettrucci uses and at first I thought it was a bit like the Dunlop Stubby, very small and hard to handle but a very clean sound, but in truth the tone is not like the Stubby, it sounds like a normal pick, except better, much better, and it's somehow easier to handle. I play with a Max-Grip one, they're a bit more pricey, but it holds onto the hand pretty hard, so I leave the normal one for when I want to play with the other tips (the Jazz III has three different tips, but the Max-grip's grip doesn't really allow for more than the main one).

Anyway, Dunlop Jazz III is, for me, much better for pinch harmonics that your average run of the mill big ass picks. I for one can't play with a big pick anymore. And small picks are much cooler anyway. Pinch harmonics gets you laid, but small picks do too.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Quote by Tiago Sa
I find the pick to make a big huge difference.

I used to play with a .88 Dunlop Tortex. It couldn't do pinch harmonics for shit. Then I got a hold of a Dunlop Ultex Sharp, and it's way WAY better for solos, and somehow I learned to choke the pick a lot more, and then I started to do pinch harmonics every now and then, but never consistently.

Then I found the king. Dunlop Jazz III. Admittedly I only bought one because that's what Pettrucci uses and at first I thought it was a bit like the Dunlop Stubby, very small and hard to handle but a very clean sound, but in truth the tone is not like the Stubby, it sounds like a normal pick, except better, much better, and it's somehow easier to handle. I play with a Max-Grip one, they're a bit more pricey, but it holds onto the hand pretty hard, so I leave the normal one for when I want to play with the other tips (the Jazz III has three different tips, but the Max-grip's grip doesn't really allow for more than the main one).

Anyway, Dunlop Jazz III is, for me, much better for pinch harmonics that your average run of the mill big ass picks. I for one can't play with a big pick anymore. And small picks are much cooler anyway. Pinch harmonics gets you laid, but small picks do too.

ultex'es and jazz III's are great for solos and picking. i prefer the Ultex now because it has more pick to it. i dound it trobulesome to pinch the thicker strings with jazz III's
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED