Before anybody starts, I want to point out that I don't want any hate in this thread, just constructive information. Stating the pros and cons of the equipment being mentioned is preferred. Thanks.

Okay, to the point. I'm looking for a decent half-stack for small-to-medium gigs. I've eyed the Marshall MG100HFX(this is why I say don't hate) because, believe it or not, I have heard good things about the setup. I've even heard the amplifier played live and thought it had decent tone to suit my needs. The main band who influences me is Iron Maiden, and my primary tonal influence is Dave Murray of the same band. Would this amplifier allow me to get the sound I desire? If not, what amplifiers in the MG's price range would you recommend?
you already know that the MG is one of the most despised amps here so expect some hate. i had one as a loaner for a while and honestly it takes an aweful lot of work to get an acceptable tone from them and that is the best you can hope for. Dave Murray sorry not going to get it.

get yourself a tube combo and skip the half stack as they are just not practical unless you are playing really big gigs. besides to get something that will give you what you want won't be cheap.

i can get a fairly good Dave Murray sound from my Peavey Valveking. i'm sure a Jet City would work as well.
In my personal opinion, the Marshall MG series as a whole has absolutely no good points, with the possible exception of the price. The Jet City JC20H or JC50H would be a much, much better choice for what you're describing.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Jcm800!!!
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Yep, pick something up used and rawk. You'll be a whole lot happier without the MG.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Peavey Windsor is a good idea for your music and they're fairly cheap.

Despite all of the MG hate, I have heard some local bands use them and I actually thought they were alright.

Also, Bloc Party used a MG100 on their old demos before they got signed and it sounds alright there as well
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If you thought it had decent tone for your needs then don't listen to all the hate and just buy it.

+1 (That's all I can quote)

Anyways, if you want some more suggestions look into some used Laney's, and the Peavey Classic's might be something to look into also.
If I got the Windsor, would I need a distortion pedal to get the amount of gain I would need?

EDIT: I never mentioned this before(oops), but I would prefer a two-channel amp. I'm looking for a half-stack at least that doesn't exceed $1000. I would prefer to buy new, since it will have a warranty. As I play mostly Maiden, I want to get high-gain British tone from the amplifier. I also want to be able to play heavier music such as Bruce Dickinson's last three solo albums. Hope this helps
Last edited by Drache Wachter at Jan 4, 2012,
Definitely a used Peavey Windsor. You shouldn't need a distortion pedal for what you want. Your Tube Screamer should be adequate.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've done some research on the Windsor. I like it, but the main drawback is that it is only a single channel amp. I need to be able to switch from a clean tone to a lead tone fairly quickly(as in mid song). What could I do to get around that obstacle?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If you thought it had decent tone for your needs then don't listen to all the hate and just buy it.

what he said * infinity. Check out all the advice you will get because they can give you a possible better option but if the MG sounded better to YOUR ears, then just go for it!
Quote by Drache Wachter
I've done some research on the Windsor. I like it, but the main drawback is that it is only a single channel amp. I need to be able to switch from a clean tone to a lead tone fairly quickly(as in mid song). What could I do to get around that obstacle?

Can't feasibly get around that.

Maybe a used Peavey ValveKing? They're not for everybody, so just check it out and see if it suits you or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Bugera 1990
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I can't emphasize enough, play it yourself! If it sounds good and you like what you hear, its not wrong. I personally don't like the MG's... If you try it and don't like it, definitely look into the other suggestions up here.
If you need 2 ch's look at the Peavey VTM, you have to go used. The Windsor does have a foot switchable gain boost that acts like a quasi 2nd ch.

The Bugera 1960/1990 wold be worth a look also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Windsor ain't never gonna give you Fender cleans, nor hyper metal tones - I own one. The best way to clean it up is to roll off the guitar volume. I like it for the gritty tone it produces - I don't play metal at all, classic rock, bluesy stuff - and it's fine for that. I use my SuperReverb when I need clean tones.