Finally ordered my 8 string (schecter blackjack ATX c-8) and got it a few days ago. now what should i do with it. I went from a 6 to an 8, so ive been learning some Korn songs to get a feel for it. looking for something that really uses the whole behemoth of a guitar. I play everything and anything and have been playing for about 8 years so difficulty can be overcome. thanks. sorry if this is a bad spot for this, havent used the site in awhile.
Last edited by pete jones at Aug 17, 2011,
Jazz.
Extended scales, more chord choices, different tunings.

The world is your oyster
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
Or look up Animals as Leaders.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Not something I'd normally recommend but look at some djent type stuff? Seems to be what alot of people invest in ERG's for... Other than that, Jazz, classical and some technical death metal stuff would be what I'd think of using an 8-string for
Lot's of reasons, but here's one.

MESHUGGAH.

That is all.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Yeah, when I eventually get an 8 I'm going to get into a LOT of jazzy pieces.. Mostly making my own. I'm gonna learn all those extended chord shapes/patterns, try out lots of fingerings, etc..

Also,

MESHUGGAH.

And don't forget Animals as Leaders.

Screw low F# or E chugging, why bother having an 8

As I saw on here in someones sig: Be an 8 string guitarist. Not an 8th string guitarist.
Korn uses 7 strings.

Meshuggah uses 8 strings because they're ****ing crazy, but other then them not many use 8 strings. Bands that use 7 are Korn, Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, Machine Head, some other Doom Metal bands and some shit death metal/deathcore bands.
Play everything you've been playing for the past eight years on your eight-string. Find new phrasings incorporating the new strings, and maybe arrange things differently to play in different octaves. Sometimes playing something an octave lower can really give a song some punch. You can play walking bass lines on it too. Or even some two-handed tapping: you have the range for both bass and guitar.

As said, Animals As Leaders is excellent. I've had my eight-string for nearly two years, and I'm still trying to unlock all of its potential.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
just in defense here, Korn usually drop tunes their 7 strings, so i just shift that ont o the 8 th string. and its not for "practice", but just to get use to the extra strings. Animals as leaders is incredible, but the lack of tab online w/o Guitar pro makes it difficult to learn. Any suggestions on jazz pieces?
MY GEAR
Schecter Hellraiser mod
w/ killswitch
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Vox VT-30
Hardwire DL-8
Boss NS-2
Korg Pitchblack
Hardwire RV-7
I've already given my responce, but it just seems a tad silly when you word it like you just spent a fair bit of cash on something you want, but when you got it, have no idea what to do with it. Figured you'd buy it BECAUSE you know what you want to do with it and just didnt have an 8 to do what you wanted to. hence buying this.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
i got an 8 string mostly because i loved all the tap touch music ive been listening too. Animals as leaders is one of the few metal bands i still enjoy so I was obviously influenced by that. Honestly, I loved my other 6 string, but it was getting repetitive for me, and i wanted to expand my range. I just need some good starting points. or maybe some other ideas that i hadn't thought of. Ive wanted an extended range guitar for a few years now, just got the money to do it. There is nothing silly about my decision. Just didnt give my life's story in the initial post.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
you could always try and go B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A (or G) from low to high, instead of a lower 8, why not a higher one? then you can be more original that way

I certainly wouldn't advise this on a schecter 8, the scale length is long enough that you'd probably either be unable to tune that high or you'd get through strings like you wouldn't believe; many people have experimented with the high A and most of them agree that it's largely impractical. It's more doable on a fanned fret instrument and even then it's a bit dodgy but I wouldn't even bother on a Schecter.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Right now eight string guitars are where seven string guitars were in 1996. You don't have to worry about how people play it—you get to make all the rules. And then, if you're really lucky, you get to play the second stage at Ozzfest and influence an entire generation of musicians and never earn a dollar because the label screwed you and your bassist decided to get married and raise a family.
Take it over to your bassist's house and laugh at him.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jpnyc
Right now eight string guitars are where seven string guitars were in 1996. You don't have to worry about how people play it—you get to make all the rules.

You mean that's not the case with any other instrument ever?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I certainly wouldn't advise this on a schecter 8, the scale length is long enough that you'd probably either be unable to tune that high or you'd get through strings like you wouldn't believe; many people have experimented with the high A and most of them agree that it's largely impractical. It's more doable on a fanned fret instrument and even then it's a bit dodgy but I wouldn't even bother on a Schecter.

I can back this up. I managed a stock .007 D'Addario at A at 27": couldn't bend it, and the only reason it didn't snap was because the RG2228 has almost perfect hardware with almost zero breakage points. The only reason it did break was because I accidentally tuned it up: broke at the only weak point... the tuner. An .008 at G lasted weeks though at 27" with a half-step bend. I eventually got bored and tuned it down. You'd need specialty strings for that length at that high tuning for anything great.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221