Ok so I'm building a custom avatar contemp. cab next month. I was going to go with vintage 30's, but after hearing this combo on my Mesa oversized cab I'm rethinking. The highs from this combo are like icepicks to the ears!

So basically I want something with a good bass response, a slightly scooped mid and smoothed out highs.

I've heard the g12t100 speaker is great for this, and I was wondering if this would be a good alternative to V30's.?

Also, does anyone know if Avatar carries Eminence speakers?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Quote by Bad.Seed
Ok so I'm building a custom avatar contemp. cab next month. I was going to go with vintage 30's, but after hearing this combo on my Mesa oversized cab I'm rethinking. The highs from this combo are like icepicks to the ears!

that is kinda what it was like for me after a while. i replaced mine with a couple of webers that are super sweet.

Quote by Bad.Seed
So basically I want something with a good bass response, a slightly scooped mid and smoothed out highs.

G12K-100. it may be a bit stiff for ya. if you want a pretty killer modern combo then get a V30 with a K-100. they really balance each other out.

Quote by Bad.Seed
I've heard the g12t100 speaker is great for this, and I was wondering if this would be a good alternative to V30's.?

not familiar with T-100. i know the T-75 and K-100. i don't liked what i heard from my limited experience with the T-75, but it kinda conforms to your description of what you want.

Quote by Bad.Seed
Also, does anyone know if Avatar carries Eminence speakers?

they do but i think they cost a little more. they prefer celestion cuz they have less models than eminence, but they can get whatever eminence you want if you ask for it but they cost more than the celestions.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
the k100 is what I was talking about, haha sorry for the misprint. What exactly do you mean by "stiff"? And what did you not like about the t75??
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
People seem to love their WGS Veteran 30's. Might be worth a look at.

PS: Listen to gumbi. Speakers are his thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have no experiance with t100's, but...

i use my nitro through either a cab with a quad of K85's (same as K100's, celestion just determined that the RMS could increase it is just killer, way better than running it through my mesa 4x12" loaded with V30's.

it was a lot less harshness, a little more intense but still even bass. i have ran both cabs together (one with 4x K85 and another with 4x V30), and they seem to go really well together.

i however do like T75's mixed with V30's, but when you pair them up. the V30 cuts through a little better and overpowers the T75 tonally, but it still works really well. i am using two of those with a 1x15" legend on my Pro Mod

if mixing speakers though, the K85/V30 sounded better than the V30/T75 IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Bad.Seed
the k100 is what I was talking about, haha sorry for the misprint. What exactly do you mean by "stiff"? And what did you not like about the t75??

the cone is thicker and the moving parts are more reinforced. it won't be as responsive as say... a G12M-25. mixing it with the V30 will lend the K-100 some responsiveness.

i will also admit, my experience with the T-75 is quite limited (just played it a couple times in marshall cabs). i hate to start giving out critiques on something i have so little experience with. it just didn't sit in the mix the way i like, a little too scooped for my tastes. if i used a T-75, then i'd mix it with something to balance it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smYItVwztU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acguJjsgDg&feature=related

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
the cone is thicker and the moving parts are more reinforced. it won't be as responsive as say... a G12M-25. mixing it with the V30 will lend the K-100 some responsiveness.

i will also admit, my experience with the T-75 is quite limited (just played it a couple times in marshall cabs). i hate to start giving out critiques on something i have so little experience with. it just didn't sit in the mix the way i like, a little too scooped for my tastes. if i used a T-75, then i'd mix it with something to balance it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smYItVwztU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acguJjsgDg&feature=related

When you Say mixing the k100 and v30...do you mean in the same cab? Or would they still mix well in seperate cabs. I already have a mesa loaded with v30's so would a 4x12 of k100's mix well? Or should i get 2 k100's and 2 v30's in the same cab?
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
Quote by Bad.Seed
When you Say mixing the k100 and v30...do you mean in the same cab? Or would they still mix well in seperate cabs. I already have a mesa loaded with v30's so would a 4x12 of k100's mix well? Or should i get 2 k100's and 2 v30's in the same cab?

either way would work. i'd like it in the same cab cuz the 2 tones would mesh more.

holy crap, 4x12's? i thought this was for a 2x12 cab... you must be loaded. i had to go to 2x12's cuz i couldn't pay the cost of replacing 4 speakers.

but if your end goal is to have two 4x12 cabs, i'd just buy four K-100's of the same impedance as the V30's and pull two of the V30's out your V30 cab and replace them with two K-100's. then load up your second cab with the same thing.

i'd place the speakers in an 'X' pattern or with the V30's on the bottom.

edit: if you want to just do a whole cab with K-100's then i'd set them both cabs next to each other or set the K-100 cab on top of the V30 cab. this just has to do with what speaker will be closer to ear level and stand out in the mix more.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
either way would work. i'd like it in the same cab cuz the 2 tones would mesh more.

holy crap, 4x12's? i thought this was for a 2x12 cab... you must be loaded. i had to go to 2x12's cuz i couldn't pay the cost of replacing 4 speakers.

but if your end goal is to have two 4x12 cabs, i'd just buy four K-100's of the same impedance as the V30's and pull two of the V30's out your V30 cab and replace them with two K-100's. then load up your second cab with the same thing.

i'd place the speakers in an 'X' pattern or with the V30's on the bottom.

edit: if you want to just do a whole cab with K-100's then i'd set them both cabs next to each other or set the K-100 cab on top of the V30 cab. this just has to do with what speaker will be closer to ear level and stand out in the mix more.

Definitely not loaded, I'm just a 22 year old single guy with 2 jobs and no bills but rent and cell phone

They'll more than likely be going side by side, I could def. do an x pattern in both cabs. I reduced both my 6505 and Jcm800 to half their power by removing the outside power tubes so I can turn them up past 4 when playing live I play in a band that plays small/medium sized clubs but our style is very loud and aggressive so using 2 heads/cabs isnt overkill.

But anyways I think I'll order the cab with 4 k100's see how I like them side by side and then maybe swap into two x patterned cabs and see what I prefer Thanks for the advice!
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Jackson DKMG Dinky

Peavey 6505
sounds like a good plan. you should like the combination.

-ae
Quote by Cathbard
People seem to love their WGS Veteran 30's. Might be worth a look at.

PS: Listen to gumbi. Speakers are his thing.

+1

on both points

if you generally like Vintage 30s but not that ice pick tone I hear the WGS Vet30s are the way to go and almost half the cost