So I'm going to try to build a guitar for my senior project....
I have a guy that's going to help me. But before I start bombing him with questions, I had to ask.... There are a few things I'd love, but I want to know, are any of these too crazy to try? :

1) Top wood (flame or quilted maple)

2) Set neck (I just don't like bolt....)

3) Fretboard inlays
1) Not crazy, but expensive. You could do a veneer, though.
2) Not crazy at all
3) Not crazy, but time consuming. Since it's a project for school, I'd suggest you focus on the functional parts more than the cosmetic features.
Quote by sashki
2) Not crazy at all
3) Not crazy, but time consuming. Since it's a project for school, I'd suggest you focus on the functional parts more than the cosmetic features.

Well I want to learn how to build guitars anyway. My senior project is just an excuse to learn now xD

What's a veneer?

I want to make this a guitar I really want to play, not just I want to play it because I built it
Quote by sashki
2) Not crazy at all

Well I want to learn how to build guitars anyway. My senior project is just an excuse to learn now xD

What's a veneer?

I want to make this a guitar I really want to play, not just I want to play it because I built it
well if you want to make guitars, you should definitely do some research! a veneer is a think piece of wood. think of it like, wall paper on top of your guitar, except its wood. you can make the body out of one wood, and put a veneer on for looks. or you can put a cap on it, which is similar but more thick.
inlays are difficult, you would want to practice it a lot. i tried once, i decided i didnt need them after all

a set neck is more difficult to be accurate with, but with help and patience you could get it. a lot of people suggest making bolt ons first and then when you get more experience doing set. but thats not always the case, and its possible to do a set your first time.

patience, research, and something i dont have that would help, books! theres a lot of books out there that people swear by
Quote by xadioriderx
you should definitely do some research!

a set neck is more difficult to be accurate with, but with help and patience you could get it.

theres a lot of books out there that people swear by

+1 to all of these!

I did a set neck on my very first instrument and it came out great! You will need a router and a good idea of how to route the cavity to exactly match the neck though (do a little research and you'll find a lot of good suggestions on how to do this).

Here are a couple of books:

1) Martin Coch's guitar making book "Building Electric Guitars"

2) Waring and Raymond's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar & Bass"

3) Dan Erlewine's "Fret Work Step By Step" -- good fretwork is hugely important to making a playable instrument, this book will help make your first instrument at least 25% better

Quote by sashki

I would recommend against the veneer, since it's your first build there may be too many opportunities to mess it up, which is easy to do because it will only be 1/32-1/16" thick.

Check out StewMac.com for lutherie supplies, also LMII.com. There is tons of other good guitar building info online too!