Here's basically an example of angled and straight.

The first picture of course being angled, because his fingers come onto the fretboard in a diagonal way so to speak, and with the second picture they come onto the fretboard in a more straight sort of manner.

Now i realise that for Barre chords having your fretting hand straight makes it easier, and having it angled for a chord with the first picture for example can make it easier.

Generally speaking however, when playing all types of riffs and licks, is there ever a time where having your fretting hand at an angle can make things more difficult? And is there ever a time where not having it angled can infact make things more difficult?

NOTE: I do realise there are times where having your hand angled can be necessary such as playing big stretches, when playing with your thumb over the neck and when your guitars body is a limiting factor.
Last edited by vayne92 at Aug 18, 2011,
Your fretting hand should almost always be straight, with the fingers parallel to the fret bars, it's simply more efficient that way. I don't know where you got the idea that you'd want to angle your hand for stretches from, it's far easier to make a stretch with your fretting hand straight.
The only times your fingers come in at an angle should be when doing bending/vibrato because during those techniques, the thumb goes over the neck to give you extra leverage.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
The majority of the time, a straight hand is better. If you're at an angle you can't use your first and second fingers well independently, and your pinky will be too far away from the fretboard to be much use. It IS useful for bends and rock vibrato as you use the thumb as a pivot for those techniques.
I do it at an angle for certain chords I can't stretch far enough for yet.

Well that's actually only the open C and G7 chord ... better than I thought