Ok my biggest freaking urge is to play with good musicians. I don't mean perfect, I just mean as good as me, that's not really asking much. And I've tried everything. Leading, following, advertising, all of it. Saying this is my most important goal is saying a lot...Remember, I'm a teenage boy, most of us just want pussy. I would give up all possibility for any vagtastic voyages for the rest of my life just to play with decent musicians. No. Effing. Joke. I just want to be able to jam with people who know what the hell they're doing...And most of the freaking bullcrap people learn here comes from the guy teaching my school's guitar program, he's nice and everything but he's giving these kids bullcrap...Basically its "play these notes" "why?" "because that's how to sound good," and these kids leave the "advanced guitar class" thinking "ahyeah i'm a fudgin BAMF at guitar!!" and then you ask them to play a Cmajor #11 chord and they say "lol now you're just making shit up."

And the only internet advice I get is "use session musicians." Yeah that'd be great if I had more money and/or was 18. And then right on the other side of town we've got Folsom High...With one of the best jazz bands in the country...And none of them are interested in doing anything outside of that. Huge source of the most wonderful musicians I could find...And none of them will waste their time with a damn rock band.

And now I've quit at more than 5 attempts at bands over the past few years because nobody A) gave a rat's ass about doing anything at all and/or B) sucked at making music in the first place.

I can write good music or I can play music someone else writes but I just never have the goddamm opportunity. And its the most frustrating thing in the world. I can't really be the only one who's experienced this, right? I mean some of you must have felt that freaking burning inside to just jam but you're kept away from it, right?

So wtf am I supposed to do? How did any of you get any bands started in high school, I'm sure I can't be the only one with these sort of problems?
Last edited by TMVATDI at Aug 18, 2011,
Read Van Hammersmith. This question has been answered there numerous times.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by Joshua1207
Time to be a solo act

I've already done solo recordings...Just not satisfying...I need to play live shows, with people I can improvise a bit with, you know?
Part of me agrees with your view, I'm currently on the lookout for a guitarist who's as good as me, primary to share lead duties with and have cool guitar sounds. Been searching for a while :P

The other part of me knows that you're pretty young, and you probably wouldn't make it into one of my bands, and I have many. You're going to have to partially drop that ego you have there, because otherwise people mayn't want to play with you.

Anyways:

To find good musicians you have two paths:

1. Play outside your age group. The first band I was in when I was 16 had members in their 40s, all ex-session musicians. Let's just say it was an incredible learning curve.

2. Play in as many shitty bands as possible, always doing your best. Eventually you will get noticed by a better musician, or join a band that a good musician is in. After that you'll be asked to audition for better bands, or will keep a list of good musicians in your phone that you will make future bands out of.

Of course, it would really help if you knew who the "in-musician crowd" was. I highly doubt they're in your high school. Additionally I'm not sure if you cruise around the clubs too much, so you won't know the randoms who pop up a lot. Just network dude, and eventually you'll get to the point where you're with good musicians.

Of course, you have to be "good", or at least "reliable" to get into that inner-circle.

If anyone thinks what I'm talking about is wanky, you probably have no real idea about how your local scene functions.

Example in point:

3 years ago I auditioned for a "known" covers band, with some very well connected people in it. I made it to the 2nd audition, was finally beaten out by a blues guitarist with 30 years experience. Fair enough - he was better.

Nevertheless I kept playing around the local scene with different bands, and started making a good reputation for myself around the local scene. I would always run into members of that covers band and say hi. I also joined 2-3 other bands, all with "connected members".

2 months ago I got a call from them asking if I could be a stand-by guitarist for them if their guitarist cannot make it.

And that's how the story goes. Play play play play, and meet a whole heap of people.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Part of me agrees with your view, I'm currently on the lookout for a guitarist who's as good as me, primary to share lead duties with and have cool guitar sounds. Been searching for a while :P

The other part of me knows that you're pretty young, and you probably wouldn't make it into one of my bands, and I have many. You're going to have to partially drop that ego you have there, because otherwise people mayn't want to play with you.

Anyways:

To find good musicians you have two paths:

1. Play outside your age group. The first band I was in when I was 16 had members in their 40s, all ex-session musicians. Let's just say it was an incredible learning curve.

2. Play in as many shitty bands as possible, always doing your best. Eventually you will get noticed by a better musician, or join a band that a good musician is in. After that you'll be asked to audition for better bands, or will keep a list of good musicians in your phone that you will make future bands out of.

Of course, it would really help if you knew who the "in-musician crowd" was. I highly doubt they're in your high school. Additionally I'm not sure if you cruise around the clubs too much, so you won't know the randoms who pop up a lot. Just network dude, and eventually you'll get to the point where you're with good musicians.

Of course, you have to be "good", or at least "reliable" to get into that inner-circle.

If anyone thinks what I'm talking about is wanky, you probably have no real idea about how your local scene functions.

i have no ego, i'm not great, i'm just in the situation where i'm surrounded by people even worse. "I don't mean perfect, I just mean as good as me, that's not really asking much."

i get what you mean...i only know the teenage in-crowd, i guess i should start looking past that...I was jamming in my garage on drums with a bassist once and these 2 guys with their really little kids walked by and heard and came up to us and asked "are you the guys who we've been hearing all month? you're just kids!" then went on to tell us that they have a thing going on and they practice on sundays and play at places we're not old enough for and told us if we're ever walking by on a sunday we can jam around and whatnot.

that would literally be the only experience with older musicians i've had in this town...i never really realized there was anybody else playing around here other than the high school bands everybody already knows. i don't really know where to start looking around to get to know the older musician crowd but i'll try
Quote by TMVATDI
i get what you mean...i only know the teenage in-crowd, i guess i should start looking past that...I was jamming in my garage on drums with a bassist once and these 2 guys with their really little kids walked by and heard and came up to us and asked "are you the guys who we've been hearing all month? you're just kids!" then went on to tell us that they have a thing going on and they practice on sundays and play at places we're not old enough for and told us if we're ever walking by on a sunday we can jam around and whatnot.

that would literally be the only experience with older musicians i've had in this town...i never really realized there was anybody else playing around here other than the high school bands everybody already knows. i don't really know where to start looking around to get to know the older musician crowd but i'll try

Err, how about taking up that offer? They may be crap, but they may be good!

You're looking for other people, and you have an opportunity staring you right in the face.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
See: http://www.craigslist.org and try out for any band that's looking for a guitarist. Let them get to know you and accept you, and then initiate a hostile takeover and make it your band and fire everyone and replace them with your friends from highschool.

No but really, try craigslist.
Quote by TMVATDI
I would give up all possibility for any vagtastic voyages for the rest of my life just to play with decent musicians. No. Effing. Joke.

If you've been voyaging before, you're doing it wrong.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by AlanHB
Err, how about taking up that offer? They may be crap, but they may be good!

You're looking for other people, and you have an opportunity staring you right in the face.

oh i'm not ignoring that lol. they basically told us they're a block or 2 away on the same street, pointed which direction, and said if we walk by and hear them on a sunday we should stop by. so its not like they gave me an address and said "be here at this time" or anything like that. i'm usually pretty busy on sundays...this week tho i'm actually jamming with my current crappy attempt at a band so maybe we'll walk around a bit and follow our ears.
Quote by JasperPryce
No but really, try craigslist.

Meh; I'd be careful with Musician Classifieds mate, I've had some rather bad experiences with them. When I posted an ad on Craiglist I got a response from an American guy living in Germany who said he was willing to sleep on the streets just to join my band. Seriously; I'm not bullshitting.

But its another site called Join My Band I've had the most problems with; most people on there are either utter time wasters who pose an interest but don't respond when you reply to them or naive prima donnas who only want to things their way even though they responded to YOUR ad.

You could try the UG classifields though; I reckon you might have better luck there.

But if you are going to use classifieds; be careful, but in all honesty I would just continue to look for musicians outside the internet.
Last edited by guitaristtobe40 at Aug 20, 2011,