HUMMMING!!!????

Here's the low-down.

1977 Ibanez Les Paul
My workhorse, everything from Metal to jazz...however..

Tonight it developed an unseemly buzz, on all the Pickups (3 humbucker black beauty model) and I can't find any soldering spots that are not connected...

So, any idea's on what happened/how to fix? I've checked everywhere inside my guitar and don't wanna go soldering random pieces of metal into it before consulting the glorious EG forums..

Thanks
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
ibanez les paul huh.....i have no idea what ur talking about

as for the hum, probably just a bad solder point or if the guitar really is that old......pickup fcked up?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Have you changed anything? Have you checked other guitars/cables to find out if it is your guitar, amp or cable? Are you running any pedals? What amp are you playing into?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Have you changed anything? Have you checked other guitars/cables to find out if it is your guitar, amp or cable? Are you running any pedals? What amp are you playing into?

Definitely check all of these things above.

Did you check your string ground wire? (is there one on that model?) Make sure that it is well connected to the bridge.
Quote by EspTro
ibanez les paul huh.....i have no idea what ur talking about

as for the hum, probably just a bad solder point or if the guitar really is that old......pickup fcked up?

Ibanez used to manufacture clones of big name brands like gibson until shit went down and they had to stop making them.
Quote by redandwhite12
Ibanez used to manufacture clones of big name brands like gibson until shit went down and they had to stop making them.

Gibson flipped because the Ibby's were just as good as theirs...and they couldn't let that happen...

Running straight into my Ibanez Troubadour 30 amp...just messing around...its not the cable, already checked that...its not the amp, check it with another guitar...it only buzz's on the Bridge Pup...and it would be odd if the pup just decied to crap out all of a sudden...should I just check all the soldering joints...? Just in case, ya know, re-solder them??

Quote by XylemBassGuitar
Definitely check all of these things above.

Did you check your string ground wire? (is there one on that model?) Make sure that it is well connected to the bridge.

I'm not familiar with that...I know that my strat knockoff has a grounding wire...but a string grouder? what would I be looking for..??
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

Last edited by Controlpanel at Aug 18, 2011,
Sounds like a bad ground. Check the grounds on both the pick-up, and the pot. I'd even check the switch, and the input jack just to be sure.

Re-soldering isn't a bad idea at all, but if you're going to re-solder ALL the joints, you might as well replace the wiring while you're at it. That way you'll know it's good, plus you can tin the wires which will give you better conductivity and make slodering easier.

If you're wiring is original, it may have become brittle and boken down. In which case it should be replaced anyway.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
This is almost certainly a bad solder joint somewhere. They may all look good, but if one lifted or cracked, you might not see it. Grab an iron and some solder and just re-heat and add a drop of solder to each connection. I bet it works after that.

Another option is that your ground wire came loose or isn't making full connection at the bridge. That's a whole lot tougher to fix, so rule out other things first.
Quote by Controlpanel
I'm not familiar with that...I know that my strat knockoff has a grounding wire...but a string grouder? what would I be looking for..??

You'd be looking for a wire that leaves the control cavity, not towards the pickups, but towards the bridge. Most guitar companies connect the strings to ground so that they act as an additional shield for the pickups (the strings pick up interference and send it to ground rather than it going through the pickups and coming out the amp).

Again though, I am not sure how (or if) the Ibanez Les Paul has a string ground. Check in the control cavity and look for a ground wire that leaves the cavity towards the bridge. If you find it, follow it and see where it contacts the bridge.

By the way, are there metal covers on the pickups? Or can you see the plastic molding around the pole pieces?
Quote by XylemBassGuitar
You'd be looking for a wire that leaves the control cavity, not towards the pickups, but towards the bridge. Most guitar companies connect the strings to ground so that they act as an additional shield for the pickups (the strings pick up interference and send it to ground rather than it going through the pickups and coming out the amp).

Again though, I am not sure how (or if) the Ibanez Les Paul has a string ground. Check in the control cavity and look for a ground wire that leaves the cavity towards the bridge. If you find it, follow it and see where it contacts the bridge.

By the way, are there metal covers on the pickups? Or can you see the plastic molding around the pole pieces?

Yes, there are metal covers...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers