And I have never seen this system before. Anyone know how it works or what tool to use? I would assume a rachet of some sort but that space is tight.
Attachments:
296839_10150747510650632_884525631_19989320_2732168_n.jpg
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Lol you saw a regular truss rod??
Umm a lot of guitars come with a tool just for truss rod adjustment, check with all your stuff
It uses a socket wrench. See if it came with the guitar, as someone has already suggested.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Umm, I might be wrong 'cause I've never actually had to do this myself, but can't you (in addition to the socket wrench) just put an allen wrench inside the hole and turn it that way?

Also, for reference, this is a socket wrench

and this is an allen wrench

(Invalid img)
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
I bought the guitar used, I doubt he still has the tool. I will just hop down to the hardware store this week and find one.

Thanks guys
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Quote by Nico the Great
Umm, I might be wrong 'cause I've never actually had to do this myself, but can't you (in addition to the socket wrench) just put an allen wrench inside the hole and turn it that way?

Also, for reference, this is a socket wrench

and this is an allen wrench

(Invalid img)

No.
This type of truss rod uses a socket tool. Not like the one you have pictured. More like a small steel bar with a non removable, long, thin barrel type socket end on it. There are no internal sides just a round hole so an allen wrench won't work.

You should be able to get one at the local music store.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
I too have a Jackson with this type of truss rod turny thing.

The tool required is called a truss rod wrench.
Typically a Jackson is 5/16 or 7mm if I remember correctly.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
(Invalid img)

like said, usually found online.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
A regular old socket wrench will work just as well though, and if you don't have one will probably be a lot cheaper (guessing, have no idea how much either is haha) and you can use it for other stuff.
Depending on how much force it needs for a turn you could probably just use pliers. Might not be enough grip/torque though.
when you get said tools... and you start adjusting, don't force anything. If it won't move with two fingers worth of pressure you don't WANT to move it, trust me. If you still have problems after the adjustment, move your bridge around until you get it set up the way you like it. Don't forget about the two fingers of pressure tho! You can seriously mess up your guitar this way. (Btw if you already know what you're doing then nevermind me :P )
Make sure you know what you are doing before attempting to adjust the truss rod. Do you know how to adjust string height? Do you know how to set intonation? Do you know how to check the nut? Do you know how to set up your trem bar? If not, do not adjust the truss rod. There are good walk-throughs online on doing this yourself, but you can really mess-up a guitar by monkeying around with the truss rod improperly.

If you are mechanically inclined and have the proper tools (feeler guage, precise ruler, good tuner) you can try to set-up your guitar yourself, but the fact that you didn't know that you'd need a socket-type wrench to turn that nut makes me think you should get some help from someone before doing anything but a string change on your guitar.

Also, get the proper tools, I would not recommend using a pair of pliers on this, it might work, but it also might scratch up your head and/or round the nut. Don't be one of those guys, do it right.
Last edited by Chetbango at Aug 19, 2011,