Hey

I'm at the finish process of my first project. It is a mahagony body.
I've filled the pores and now I have to sand back with fine grit (320 I think) but I'm pissed off from the sanding work so I thought I should buy this machine that would ease my work.

I'm not sure which kind of sander I shall buy? orbital or what?

Thanks!
Ideally you want an orbital and a belt sander, if you plan on ever stripping the finish off something get the handheld belt sander, the orbital just doesn't generate enough friction on poly. Get a nice smooth finish with the orbital though.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
It might, I do all my sanding at that level by hand, but recently cleaned up some oak panelling for a bar front with an orbital with a heaver grain than 360 and was able to just oil it and stick it on the bar (which makes it seem a lot easier than the 3 days it took me)
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
An orbital sander would be the way to go. I have one with the little metal things that hold the sandpaper on, it sucks, the sandpaper keeps coming loose. I'd like to get one with the round sticky sandpaper for it's ease of use, but I'm sure that will carry it's own problems as well.

A belt sander is nice too, but not feasible for finish work really.
Quote by guitar-tin
I thought about another method.

Can I use the router as an orbital sander (at a very low speed and permenant height)?

No, you'd still have to sand it afterwards.

You can use this method to plane or thickness a surface, but you need to build the jig first - essentially a base on which your guitar blank would lay, rails either side (exact same height) and a sledge on which the router sits as if moves along the rails.