I've played the electric guitar for 2 years now and I really wanna start playing bass too.
I'm just wondering: How is it to play bass after playing two years with the electric? Will my guitar playing help a lot? I guess so?

Once I've heard: "If you manage to play one instrument you can manage to play even more instruments", or something :P

Am I right?
It's a completely different instrument.
I picked up bass after a good couple of years on guitar, and while you of course get a big advantage knowing your way around the fretboard it's still completely different.
Different scale length...different string gauges...different style of playing...
Don't think you'll be able to play bass because you can play guitar...and don't think for a second that it's easier than guitar either.

Just get a bass and start playing though...it doesn't matter if your guitar playing will help a lot or not.

As for your quote, you're correct.. and I'll even one up you with a Musashi quote!

"The Way of the Warrior does not include other Ways...but if you know the Way broadly, you will see it in everything." - Musashi Miyamoto
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
It's a completely different instrument.
I picked up bass after a good couple of years on guitar, and while you of course get a big advantage knowing your way around the fretboard it's still completely different.
Different scale length...different string gauges...different style of playing...
Don't think you'll be able to play bass because you can play guitar...and don't think for a second that it's easier than guitar either.
I agree, but I want to add a couple of things:

1. I think bass is actually harder than guitar, technique-wise (because of the bigger strings, scale, etc), but most bass lines are very simple compared to guitar riffs and solos, so it seems easier. I mean, you will never find a song where you have to shred like Michael Angelo Batio on bass... but if you find it, good luck playing that.

2. Playing bass will definitely help you with guitar. Your left hand fingers will be stronger and able to stretch more. It will take a while to get used to two completely different scales though.
^ Actually I didn't have much of a problem switching at all. Even when it comes to scale length and string spacing. My fingers can stretch pretty well on my bass and the string spacing is hardly a problem for me. My left hand guitar technique is actually proving to be VERY beneficial in my bass playing right now. I've played guitar for about 4-5 years and I've been practicing bass for about a week now. The only thing I'm getting used to are bigger callouses on my fingers, both right and left hand, due to 2-handed tapping practice now.
I have screwed around with bass for years, but have really gotten serious abouth the instrument in the past six months. I'm now taking lessons and upgrading my equipment. I've played drums since the Beatles were still a band. lol

So far my progress on bass has come easy to me, I'm thinking of adding guitar lessons in a few months. My years of playing drums have seemed to help me on bass even though they are different instruments.
-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."
Don't think that bass will be easier than guitar! Most people get that misconception. Depending on what you play, bass can be ridiculously easy (most pop songs) or it might require a great deal of skill (metal, funk, prog, etc.). But really, it's no worse than learning guitar. I played 3 years before I touched a bass and now I can solo on bass just as quick as I can on guitar.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
As I saw it so eloquently put on YouTube a few days ago (this is their words, not mine),
"Any douche who can play guitar can play bass, it's called bass GUITAR for a reason, moron."

Make of that what you will.
i agree with bass technique helping guitar playing and guitar scales helping bass but as with any instrument there are easy things to play and hard things to play. and from the sound of it some people switch easy and others dont so just try. i personally LOVE playing bass. i still mess around and even write on guitar but bass just feels sooo cool and after playing a while you will start listening to bass in music you have already listened to and picking out awesome bass lines. thats my favorite part of playing any instrument is listening to other musicians and picturing their process for creating that part. good luck
Quote by robhc
As I saw it so eloquently put on YouTube a few days ago (this is their words, not mine),
"Any douche who can play guitar can play bass, it's called bass GUITAR for a reason, moron."

Make of that what you will.

Electric Bass Fiddle bro.
Personally, i think if you can play guitar, you can play bass... They are similar instruments. The difference comes when advancing in bass and writing bass lines, guitarists generally cant write a decent bass line or play with any technique other than picking...
What I really like about bass vs. guitar is that bass feels so natural to play with your fingers rather than with a pick. It's like you can get nice, deep tones playing with your fingers. Whereas for guitar, you need a pick to get that cool crisp tone.