hey all, i have a British style head, but i want to get a good thrash metal tone. The gain cranked isn't the best, it's not tight enough for thrash. Think, "and justice for all" or even a megadeth kinda tone. Can anyone recommend me a dist. pedal that may help me? don't suggest a new amp please cuz i like the bluesy tones i can get out of it. thanks!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
tone is only 5%, skill is 5%, attitude is 90%

its all in how you sell it. thrash is about how you feel it man, you either have it or you don't. you can't teach nor buy it
Check out the Ibanez Thrashmetal.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Boss SD-1 if you just want to boost your amp.

If you're looking for a standalone thrash distortion, I have no idea.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Depending on the amp you're running, a ProCo RAT should be perfect. Pretty sure either one of the Metallica dudes used one of those with a Plexi at the start
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

What amp do you have?

British style could mean Orange, Vox, Marshall, Hiwatt, and even more and they all have hundreds of amp models which sound different.
Boss Metal Core ml-2 is awsome, ive tried a lot of pedals and found this one to have the heaviest dirt.

If your looking to boost your gain on your amp then ibanez tube screamer all the way.
well i own a marshall avt 50 combo and a boss sd-1 and a boss metal zone and i play some metallica stuff, so here my opinion:

if you boost a marshall-style amp with a boss sd-1 or any other overdrive you get a "organic" and powerfull sound, its like the kill em all album or master of puppets

the sound of and justice is some kind of "cold" and "cutting" and "sterile", listen to blackened you know what i mean... if u want this sound i recommend u a metal zone (quite versatile, high gain and so on)
setting is eighter "everything on half" or probably slight (!!!) midscoop
i have a JCA20H, which i believe is a British style kind of amp (EL84's) and it gives a really nice rich distortion with the gain cranked but its not the right kind of the thing for thrash, its a bit too "loose". i was looking at a ZW-44 OD, and everyone keeps recommending a TS-9. I tested the MT-2 etc. and i find theyre very nasally.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Some kind of tubescreamer circuit. People like TS808s. Tighten it up and add some gain. Depends on how much gain your amp has on tap, though.

Blackstar HT-Distx distortion pedal is thrash-in-a-box if that's what you're looking for.
Last edited by Seref at Aug 20, 2011,
gain on tap, enough for like... modern rock? something like that. So would a tubescreamer be my best bet? or a ZW-44? im thinkin zw-44 but im not a pedal/amp genius haha
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
what about the Ibanez Jet Driver? anybody had experience with that?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
As far as the JCA20 goes: As a fellow owner I found that a clean boost like an MXR Micro Amp or an EHX LPB-1 works wonders. Tube Screamers get plugged so much I think people forget there are alternatives.
for metal? really? i was thinking drive it with the Zakk Wylde for a bit more bottom end tightness you know? i was just think the ZW cuz it's a higher gain OD, but i may be wrong.
OD or a boost for thrash tones?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
An OD and a boost are almost one and the same. A boost might be a bit more transparent, but you can't go wrong with one or the other.

Just get a Tubescreamer or a Bad Monkey, I've heard some straight up brutality come out of the JCA20.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
so should i get a tubescreamer specifically? is it the messiah of OD's or is there something else that's also good or better?
EDIT: any thoughts on the ZW-44 because i can get one for like 70 bucks
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Last edited by Dr.Tong at Aug 22, 2011,
when i had my JCA20, i used a BBE screamer, at that time i bought the BBE I think they sold new for like $40 or something stupid, now they are a lot more expensive (considering nothing has changed), but it did great.

i personally didn't care for the bad monkey, everybody else seems to rave on it, but it wasn't my thing. i had one for a few months. at least i made $5 on it. lol.

and if you know how to EQ and are good at turning knobs, you will find some brutality on a JCA20.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
alrighty, can you maybe give me some tips for the EQ? ive got mids scooped and everything, presence not too high, etc etc but i still find the gain to be quite loose sounding. it'd be great for like, Black Sabbath or something.
still open to more suggestions thanks guys!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
You shouldn't really scoop the mids.
Just get an OD to tighten that thing up if you can't find a good thrash tone by just EQing.
i can, but its wee bit of a hike to get to the good music store that has pedals other than Boss ones haha
ive already tried the ZW, ive tried a 78 custom badass, a distortiom + and III, but nothing like a tubescreamer.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe