Page 1 of 2
Soup guis.

Americans - I have a question.

Spelling bees. Are they really that much of a huge deal over there?
RIP Tom Searle.
no
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
no

On TV, webnetz etc they seem to be portrayed as a really important event for some reason. i just wondered.
RIP Tom Searle.
if it makes it to ESPN Australia, yes it is.

Serious business.

They also have cheerleading on ESPN lol.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Depends on your idea of "a huge deal". I don't think so though, I can't name the last five spelling bee champions.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Quote by MH400
On TV, webnetz etc they seem to be portrayed as a really important event for some reason. i just wondered.

The only people that seem to care about them are the parents of the kids in the actual spelling bee.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I love watching those Spelling Bee mess-ups on Youtube.

And American's, are kids really that smart?
I won a spelling bee in 2nd grade for my county
But they didn't have enough money to send me to the state bee.
cat
you should never think anything in America is a big deal. Really, our big deals are 4th of July, the Presidential Election, The Super Bowl, and the McRib.
If you're in 3rd grade they are a big deal. If you are a pedophile they are a bigger deal.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by LostLegion
I love watching those Spelling Bee mess-ups on Youtube.

And American's, are kids really that smart?

Well, they're smart enough to not use apostrophes to pluralize.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
No, spelling bees are of no actual significance.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
i mean it is a big deal, but as someone pointed out, moreso to the parents and the spelling bee circle. they get a pretty great prize, i think a ton of scholarship money and its a damn nice thing to have on your resume, but other than that no one i know watches it.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by AgainstYou
1st word should be colour. They'd all lose.

only in the UK though
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
only in the UK though

Actually, I think every other english speaking country in the world.
Quote by thejester
damn nice thing to have on your resume

I really doubt that these kids put that they won a spelling bee on their resume.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by AgainstYou
Actually, I think every other english speaking country in the world.

And you'd lose in America if you spelled it like that. That's all that matters.
The script's spelling bee is just a few hours of watching socially awkward, homeschooled children prove just how messed up they are mentally by spelling words that most of us have never even heard of before. Like who reads the dictionary for fun? Enjoy the massive scholarship, too bad you'll be a freak for your whole life.

/rant
Quote by Harryishere
The script's spelling bee is just a few hours of watching socially awkward, homeschooled children prove just how messed up they are mentally by spelling words that most of us have never even heard of before. Like who reads the dictionary for fun? Enjoy the massive scholarship, too bad you'll be a freak for your whole life.

/rant

Not all homeschool kids are socially retarded. But you wouldn't know that because you just go by the stereotypes you see on TV.

I was homeschooled from 5th grade until highschool graduation and lived a perfectly normal life. Most states highly regulate what is taught, so it's not like the kids are going to be stupid. You have to do basically the same work that the kids in public schools do, and if you don't they make you go to school. It's that simple.

As for the social freak you spoke of, you are wrong. Yes, I sure there are a few parents who hide their children away from the real world, but they are the minority. I played sports for the local highschool, and even played in the band. Being homeschooled doesn't restrict you from doing any of those things. (At least where I live.)

As for the actual learning. I got a 4.0 my first year of college so I think that speaks for itself.

Obviously not every homeschooled kid will come out the same, and yes, there will probably be a few that are a little weird. But that is by no means the norm, and I seriously doubt that every public school kid is the king of social interaction.

Sorry for the rant, but it seriously bugs me when people think that every homeschooled kid is a socially retarded nerd who only cares about the spelling bee and avoiding talking to people.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by WCPhils
Most states highly regulate what is taught, so it's not like the kids are going to be stupid. You have to do basically the same work that the kids in public schools do, and if you don't they make you go to school. It's that simple.

I played sports for the local highschool, and even played in the band. Being homeschooled doesn't restrict you from doing any of those things. (At least where I live.)

So why didn't you just attend the school ya moron?
Quote by RU Experienced?
So why didn't you just attend the school ya moron?

Because my school district sucks. My school district has a large dropout rate, and the teachers are notoriously bad. I shouldn't have said "have to do the same exact work." You can buy your own books and everything, but that's just not how we did it. Just because we were using some of the same books, doesn't mean we were learning the exact same way. Plus my mom is actually a certified teacher, so I'm sure that helped.

It also wasn't in the safest part of town and there are a lot of drug problems.

I don't see what me playing sports for the school has to do with anything. I could have played for a CYO or Rec league. I just choose to play for my old school because that's what my friends played for. And I should have made the music part clearer, I didn't play for the school, I played with kids who went to the same place I took lesson from.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone jumps on homeschooling like it's some evil thing. Especially on the internet. It's not that strange where I live, and I never got shit for it.

I would link some material about it that I used for an essay I wrote last semester. But all the articles I used are in the school's private library, so they won't work for someone who's not a student. Sorry.

Hope that cleared some of it up.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 18, 2011,
Spelling Bees are only a big deal for Asian and Indian families.

Those are the only kids I see win anyway.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I remember the last time I was in a spelling bee was in the 4th grade and I lost on purpose because I was so damn bored of doing spelling bees in my school.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by nmitchell076
you should never think anything in America is a big deal. Really, our big deals are 4th of July, the Presidential Election, The Super Bowl, and the McRib.

This is so depressingly true that I'm tempted to sig it.
I'd watch a spelling bee if it was on TV, the youtube vids make it look very entertaining. It would be better with adults though.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
no. only queers do them...

Quote by metaldud536
Everything except the biggest sport in the world....soccer.

yeah that doesn't make sense really, its almost as boring as football or golf, and those are popular for some reason.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Last edited by vanhailin at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by vanhailin
no. only queers do them...

How many times have you won a spelling bee?
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Only in elementary school. I made 3rd place in my school back then... my lifes crowning achievement

Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by WCPhils
Because my school district sucks. My school district has a large dropout rate, and the teachers are notoriously bad. I shouldn't have said "have to do the same exact work." You can buy your own books and everything, but that's just not how we did it. Just because we were using some of the same books, doesn't mean we were learning the exact same way. Plus my mom is actually a certified teacher, so I'm sure that helped.

It also wasn't in the safest part of town and there are a lot of drug problems.

I don't see what me playing sports for the school has to do with anything. I could have played for a CYO or Rec league. I just choose to play for my old school because that's what my friends played for. And I should have made the music part clearer, I didn't play for the school, I played with kids who went to the same place I took lesson from.

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone jumps on homeschooling like it's some evil thing. Especially on the internet. It's not that strange where I live, and I never got shit for it.

I would link some material about it that I used for an essay I wrote last semester. But all the articles I used are in the school's private library, so they won't work for someone who's not a student. Sorry.

Hope that cleared some of it up.
the stigma (at least in my area NJ) comes because the schools in my area are excellent, and kids that are homeschooled are usually for religious reasons. So no sex ed, no evolution, etc

So those kids usually turn out pretty whacky... just like their parents
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
the stigma (at least in my area NJ) comes because the schools in my area are excellent, and kids that are homeschooled are usually for religious reasons. So no sex ed, no evolution, etc

So those kids usually turn out pretty whacky... just like their parents

Yea, I know some people who do it for religious reason and it can be bad sometimes. It just gets on my nerves when people act like that's the only reason there is to homeschool.

That wasn't us though, evolution was one of my favorite subjects.

Thanks for responding, and not just going "haha moron"
___

Quote by The_Blode
I don't ever hear of them, and I'm guessing one would be hard pressed to find anyone who cares about them at all.
I remember making it pretty far into my elementary school's spelling bee. I wasn't nearly as comfortable on a stage as I am now, and I choked midway through "quarter" after some horrific image flashed through my mind and spelled it "q u a r t a r" or something.

I would bathe in the blood of the innocent just to go back and make things right.

I see them on tv quite a lot, so I guess they're noteworthy (at least national and international competitions). And now I'm flashing back to that episode of Psych where Shawn and Gus are at the spelling bee and Shawn gives that girl the word "ba-nan-na"
Quote by thewho65
I see them on tv quite a lot, so I guess they're noteworthy (at least national and international competitions). And now I'm flashing back to that episode of Psych where Shawn and Gus are at the spelling bee and Shawn gives that girl the word "ba-nan-na"

That's a great episode.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Page 1 of 2