Page 1 of 5

Whales belong to the largest beings on the planet. The Blue Whale, in fact, is the largest animal to have ever existed. Whales are incredibly intelligent and are thought to have evolved sentience, being the only animal beside humans to have achieved that.

Whales are also strangely musical, using strange and haunting songs to attract mates and possibly even to express emotions.

I also sat on an orca whale as a kid at Sea World, and they feel like wet, smooth car tires. And they smell like fish.

So yeah, let's talk about whales. They're awesome.
Inb4 that one douche with whalez in his name
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
They look like they're having a whale of a time.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Yo mamas the largest whale that ever existed.

No but seriously, Killer Whales rule.

EDIT: Would a dolphin be a whale?
Tits on a whale.

Wayhooooo
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by CoreysMonster
^ killer whales ARE dolphins

Okay lets compare.

Dolphin:

Killer Whale:

HIS EYES ARE WHITE!

I know they're not actually white but, y'know
Last edited by LostLegion at Aug 18, 2011,
I appreciate whales.
Whale Wars makes me kinda hate them a little bit though.
I wind up rooting for the Japaneese, lol. The cast, especially the captain, are all SUCH douchbags.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Whales are incredibly intelligent and are thought to have evolved sentience, being the only animal beside humans to have achieved that.

I see your whales, and I raise you crows.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by CoreysMonster

They feel wet, and smell like fish.

That's all I read...
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Craigo
No, how is it that whales are the only animals to have 'evolved sentience'? Many, many mammals show a distinct range of emotional state of affairs and sensations.

yes, but there is a big difference between thinking "what is that?" and thinking "What am I?". I'm no biologist, so I can only draw from my limited knowledge of animal psychology, but I'm pretty sure sense of self is the main difference between sentient and non-sentient animals.

From what I've read, whales/dolphins appear to have evolved the most developed "sense of self". This information can be outdated, however.
Where's the narwhal love???

I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Zeletros
Weren't dinosaurs bigger?

Nope. The blue whale can get up to 30 meters long and weigh 200 tons, that's bigger than any dinosaur ever was.

Check this out:

That's a friggin blue whale SKULL, dude.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
yes, but there is a big difference between thinking "what is that?" and thinking "What am I?". I'm no biologist, so I can only draw from my limited knowledge of animal psychology, but I'm pretty sure sense of self is the main difference between sentient and non-sentient animals.

From what I've read, whales/dolphins appear to have evolved the most developed "sense of self". This information can be outdated, however.

That sounds incredibly silly.
Quote by Zeletros
Weren't dinosaurs bigger?

Longer certainly (in some limited cases), amphicoelias being up to 60m long, for example, based on very fragmented remains. However, weight wise, whales are the largest ever.

Quote by CoreysMonster

How can we possibly have this information?
Last edited by Todd Hart at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by Craigo
That sounds incredibly silly.

Why? Being able to recognise yourself as an individual is pretty seldom in the animal kingdom. That's why dogs and cats get agitated at their own reflections, but dolphins and whales recognise themselves and behave differently.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Nope. The blue whale can get up to 30 meters long and weigh 200 tons, that's bigger than any dinosaur ever was.

Check this out:

What about Godzilla?

Height: 50–100 meters
Weight: 20,000–60,000 tons
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why? Being able to recognise yourself as an individual is pretty seldom in the animal kingdom. That's why dogs and cats get agitated at their own reflections, but dolphins and whales recognise themselves and behave differently.

Dogs go mental at their own reflections but are able to recognise where they stand in a pack, which would indicate that they do have a developed sense of self. And it's... the wording of it is all just a bit silly. Sounds too abstract when being self aware isn't so, and is pretty straight forward.
Quote by Todd Hart
How can we possibly have this information?

Science!

Quote by Craigo
Dogs go mental at their own reflections but are able to recognise where they stand in a pack, which would indicate that they do have a developed sense of self. And it's... the wording of it is all just a bit silly. Sounds too abstract when being self aware isn't so, and is pretty straight forward.

Like I said, I'm no biologist

I think the difference between recognising yourself and realising your place in a pack is that in order to recognise yourself in the mirror you have to associate your movement with what you're seeing in the reflection, noticing that the image only moves when you do, and thus come to the conclusion that what you are seeing is yourself, whereas having a place in a pack requires just the thought "Dog X is alpha, I must be submissive"
Quote by CoreysMonster
Science!

Like I said, I'm no biologist

I think the difference between recognising yourself and realising your place in a pack is that in order to recognise yourself in the mirror you have to associate your movement with what you're seeing in the reflection, noticing that the image only moves when you do, and thus come to the conclusion that what you are seeing is yourself, whereas having a place in a pack requires just the thought "Dog X is alpha, I must be submissive"

Science doesn't allow us to read the minds of other animals, at least not in any certainly accurate way. And how would the animal recognising its reflection possibly prove sentience?
Quote by Todd Hart
Science doesn't allow us to read the minds of other animals, at least not in any certainly accurate way. And how would the animal recognising its reflection possibly prove sentience?

Like I said before: The animal recognises itself in a mirror, thus realising that he is an entity with a visual appearance, and the mirror is reflecting his movement. There are very, very few animals that can do this.

As for reading minds, biologists study behavioural patterns of animals, just like psychologists do the same with humans. As to how exactly it works, I honestly don't know. We need DeliriumBassist back in here to help us with the biology part.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Like I said before: The animal recognises itself in a mirror, thus realising that he is an entity with a visual appearance, and the mirror is reflecting his movement. There are very, very few animals that can do this.

As for reading minds, biologists study behavioural patterns of animals, just like psychologists do the same with humans. As to how exactly it works, I honestly don't know. We need DeliriumBassist back in here to help us with the biology part.

I did a term on animal psychology just last year for my biology A2. I can see that the act of recognising oneself in the mirror shows intelligence, but I wouldn't argue that that alone shows sentience. I'm not arguing that some species are sentient, just that it isn't limited to whales and dolphins.

If I recall (I'll have to go find my study book to be certain) the main difference between classifying species and sentient or not is based mostly on their ability to have abstract thought - as opposed to simple logic which can be attributed to innate behaviour or kineses. Insight learning is the one most studied and looked for to determine an animal's intelligence (insight learning being the ability to think abstractly, such as using stones to displace water to gain access to floating food, which can be examined in some corvid species).
You obviously know more than I do, dude.

I remember a story about a crow filling up a pitcher of water with stones to be able to drink, but I'm not sure if that was a real thing or a fable
Quote by CoreysMonster
^ killer whales ARE dolphins

And apparently dolphins sort of come under "whales". I think it was Slacker that said something in the etymology of their name is "toothed whale", or that may be their scientific name.

I think Orca are cool as **** though.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.

Nah I'm just trolling.

Anyone read Moby Dick? I highly recommend it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Whales are awesome. Easily my favourite animal! I've always thought it would be cool to genetically modify a whale to the size of a goldfish. Then you could keep it as a pet!
Quote by Dawginator
Nah I'm just trolling.

Anyone read Moby Dick? I highly recommend it.

I read the first couple of chapters, and JESUS CHRIST is it cumbersome to read. I have no idea why Melville insisted on spending 5 pages describing a friggin church.

I can sum up in a couple of words what he said on those pages: "It's a church and there's a part of it that kinda looks like a ship".

Picture related:

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Check this out:

WHY DO I SEE PHALLIC OBJECTS EVERYWHERE I GO

HEEEEEEEEEEELP

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Page 1 of 5