I'm over in Boston for some time in September. Can anyone recommend me some things to do that aren't particularly touristy. I'm planning on doing that stuff i.e. fenway park tour (I support Liverpool, so feel obliged) etc, but want other things/places to explore. Might be getting a car as well, so anywhere in the surrounding area worth visting? Concord or Portland for example?

Seeing the whale topic, are whale tours reliable? I don't want to spend the day looking a seagulls.
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
Go to Boston Common and play football and get da bishes, that's what I did.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Are you by any chance a sailor peg?
Have you lost your leg?

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by frnzd
Concord or Portland for example?

I really hope you mean Portland, Maine. Portland, Oregon (what people think of in the US when you say "Portland) is clear across the country. Also, I am pretty sure there is absolutely nothing to do in Portland, Maine.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Eat at Dick's Last Resort. It's not the only one in the states but it works best being insulted by staff members from Boston good experience (unless you'll be alone)
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
The Aquarium is always cool
I went on a whale watch thing and it was wicked long and if I remember correctly I saw the back of a whale... wasn't that interesting.
Hang out at Fanuel Hall or Boston Commons there's always stuff going on there.

And I have a firm belief that the homeless of Boston are the greatest homeless people anywhere
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by steee21
Pretend to be Irish. I think thats what people do in that region.

After all their basketball team is called the Boston Celtics and their logo is a shamrock even though most of the team is black.
Head to Charlestown. It's a very inviting community.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Paradise Rock Club

Quote by steee21
Pretend to be Irish.

Also, this.
Last edited by thewho65 at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Eat at Dick's Last Resort. It's not the only one in the states but it works best being insulted by staff members from Boston good experience (unless you'll be alone)

Did this in Chicago. Best resteraunt i've ever been to.
Take the red line to Harvard and just walk around. It's a very pretty area with lots of restaurants and shops. Buy clothes at the J. Press.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y
Are you by any chance a sailor peg?
Have you lost your leg?

Great song
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by ghostnineone
quincy market is cool

Nahhh, unless you mean just the area. But the market itself is kinda crap. Yes, there are rows and rows of food offerings, but that works against you because there are too any options. And they always look so good but are actually really mediocre food for inflated prices.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Nahhh, unless you mean just the area. But the market itself is kinda crap. Yes, there are rows and rows of food offerings, but that works against you because there are too any options. And they always look so good but are actually really mediocre food for inflated prices.

it was better than the mall here
you brought a hooker to church?
Okay, so far:

Boston Common
Quincy Market
Paradise Rock Club (Elbow are only bloody playing while I'm there!)
Fanuel Hall
The Aquarium
Some insulting bar
Tea chucking or should that be tea chuckling
a music college to look for fruit preserves
a night with the homeless
America's 'bank robbery capital'

and CLEARLY I meant Portland in Oregon...
Quote by babakkatt

LOUD NOISES
i went on a c130 flight over the pacific/cape cod/nantucket when i visited an airforce base, you probably cant do that though

EDIT: ATLANTIC. I MEANT ATLANTIC.
Last edited by ghostnineone at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by ghostnineone
i went on a c130 flight over the pacific/cape cod/nantucket when i visited an airforce base, you probably cant do that though

Well maybe if I was ACTUALLY going to Oregon...
Quote by babakkatt

LOUD NOISES
Quote by frnzd
Well maybe if I was ACTUALLY going to Oregon...

it was an AF base in Kingston RI, its like an hour and 30 minutes from boston.

boston has helicopter tours, maybe do that?
If you want less touristy stuff:

Allston, which is a slightly rougher neighborhood around Boston University filled with lots of college kids and has plenty of quirky bars and stuff.

Jamaica Plains, more quirkiness.

and I can't believe no one's mentioned Cambridge yet. You gotta go to Harvard Square man.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 18, 2011,
The is the transit (subway, tram, commuter rail, ferry, and bus) system in Greater Boston. So for the Subways (besides Boston obviously) take you to many places around the city. The Green Line takes you to Cambridge, Newton, Allston, Brighton, and Chestnut Hill. The Red Line brings you to Cambridge, Somerville, Dorchester, Quincy, and Braintree. The Orange Line goes to Medford, Malden, Everett and Roxbury. The Blue Line goes to Revere. Fare is $2.00 but a (free) Charlie Card reduces fare to $1.70, you just have to find stations that offer it.

Boston is an incredibly easy to city to walk around. Everyone's suggestions are pretty good, so I don't have much to say.
██████████████████████████████
Last edited by Ralbert07 at Aug 18, 2011,
I've done whale-watching with boats out of both Gloucester, Mass. and Newburysport, New Hamp. and I saw quite a few whales on both tours, so I would say do the whale thing. There's also Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket Island, Lexington & Concord, Salem, Gloucester......the list goes on and on.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Can't believe I almost forgot: the Fenway gardens and the Museum of Fine Arts.

So. Good.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

and I can't believe no one's mentioned Cambridge yet. You gotta go to Harvard Square man.

This, definitely go to this.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm so sorry you have to go to Boston and not be able to take me with you out of this shithole

Tru dat, brotha.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Erias
Psh, you brits and your cheap imitation cities.

I like this
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm so sorry you have to go to Boston.

Finally, an appropriate time to use this gem...