Hi
I have a really old Pc, i want to set it up in the practise room to record our band practices.
It has a Pentium 3 650Mhz, 256mb ram, Win98, a soundcard with 4 channel input.
The only proble is that i don't know what to use I have a Cubase 5 Le, but it's too new, Also, Reaper Needs at least a Pentium 4 cpu.
Any Ideas what to use and where to obtain it?

PS: i don't want to spend on a new PC, because i don't need it, this should be enough for plain recording without effects, and that's all i want, I have a powerfull pc at home to make the rest of the work.
Unlikely.
1969 Honey Burst Les Paul
2001 Gibson SG
2009 Martin D-15m
2006 Fender Sonoran

1979 MusicMan HD130 2-12
Framus 2-12 V30's
Blackstar HT5

Blackstar Dist-x
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone

View my Pedal Thread
If you're looking solely to record raw audio, something like audacity or mixcraft may be all you need, but it's still questionable as to whether a machine of that spec would be capable of streaming audio sufficiently. I suppose it depends whether you're running 16-bit or 24-bit, and how many tracks you're streaming at once.
I used to use an old version of Acoustica Mixcraft (v2) on my 1.4 pentium 4 and it ran very well and Mixcraft in general on its own isnt very resource intensive, so you could give that a shot.
As a Linux user, I know for a fact that there's a fair few lightweight DAWs for recording, but, you would need to install an additional OS (such as Ubuntu 10.10 or Linux Mint 11) .
Good luck dude, home recording is a bitch.
MOAR

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Active
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Ovation Celebrity
Pro Tools 9 HD

I'm sure your P3 can still handle a couple of TDM's.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd check with the audio card. Old computers have awful sound cards which means whatever you record will also be awful. Which means you'll need to buy an external soundcard (because if it's really old it won't be worth the hastle upgrading the internals), which might not even work. If that ever happened, it would be easier to just buy a micro BR or 4 track recorder.

EDIT: forgot to add; just try a simple recorder like audacity and see ifif it'll work.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Aug 18, 2011,
I Don't really like audacity, but it might work for recording
i would like to try Mixcraft, but where to get it?

Hardware wise, it is capable of recording 4 tracks, even 8 and all i want is to record raw tracks
The HDD's speed is about 15MB/s and it's not that slow... about as fast as the first eeePC
But i never made music on PC in that are, when i started recording 6-7 years ago I already had a 1.6 ghz PC but it worked grate , but i can't remember the software i used
Quote by Hammy_991
As a Linux user, I know for a fact that there's a fair few lightweight DAWs for recording, but, you would need to install an additional OS (such as Ubuntu 10.10 or Linux Mint 11) .
Good luck dude, home recording is a bitch.

I'm not new to home recording, But the new reaper does not run good on a Pentium free.
I'm not new to linux either.
I really never found a good all around recording software to linux.
Most of the need jack and that is resource heavy, and Ubuntu 10.10 need a powerfull hardware.
According to Wikipedia, the first version of Protools came out in 1991, so i'm sure if you do a little digging, you can find a version that dates back to 1997 or so, and have it run fine on your computer.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
According to Wikipedia, the first version of Protools came out in 1991, so i'm sure if you do a little digging, you can find a version that dates back to 1997 or so, and have it run fine on your computer.

Pro tools requier special hardware
And i don't knowe where to get any old music software anyways... thats my problem
pentium 3 650 MHZ you say?

Your average smart phone has more power than that.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Ubuntu is one of the most bloated linux distros out there though, you're not exactly going to optimize that PC with ubuntu. Try something like Arch linux (if you're up to setting it up yourself) or Damn small linux. And
> Traverso
> Audacity
Are two of the better DAWs I've found for linux. If you're going to be using guitars through it, also look up rakarrack.

Good luck getting that to work. It's not impossible, but it's going to take a little bit of messing around with it.

But really, stop being cheap, you could buy a shitty used laptop for like 50 bucks with better specs than that.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Aug 18, 2011,