I've got two electric guitars, one just recently bought. And I don't know if it's my ears or the guitar but the G string, sounds weird... Particularly when i'm playing D chords? D minor/major, D7 etc. It isn't like it's out of tune, it's just a bit more noticeable and stands out compared to the other strings. My acoustic guitar's G sounds completely different, singularly and in unison with other strings compared to my electric guitars. I do play my acoustic guitar quite a bit more than my electric ones, so maybe it is just my ears? Oh and it's a lot more noticeable when I play the electric guitar's unplugged, rather than hooked up to an amp. Can anyone shed a bit of light on the situation?
If you're used to the sound of G string on an acoustic, that could explain it - acoustics have a wound G string, electrics don't. Obviously that's going to make them sound different.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It could just be the way your ears are tuned.

Don't get me wrong, theres no way to re-tune your ears - but some people hear a certain pitch just a little different from others.

I had a psychology teacher that mentioned this very same thing, with the very same string. He said that he learned to tune by ear, but when he was tuning the G that he would always have to use a tuner becuase when he tuned it by ear, it would always come out sharp.

Its also possible that this isn't the issue, and your g string is simply slightly coming into contact with another part of the guitar - creating a sharp treble/rattle sound.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
You can get wound G strings for your electric, you'll just have to look a little harder. More often than not, these appear in thicker sets.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
the unwound G sounds different for sure but it might actually be out of tune as well. did you get your guitars set up? the intonation might be out a bit. also, this is why i tune by ear. i find tuners dont get the right pitch and even if they do, they dont fit chords right because the guitar is not a perfect instrument. try tuning the G string first and then by ear tune the rest, checking with chords to make sure they all sound right.
My guitars have never been properly set up yet I've played and heard many other guitars and I don't think the intonation is out, I think it's just like people have said, it's the wound string.. since it's all to do with it being unplugged. I recon if I played my electric guitar unplugged constantly, then my ears would possibly just adjust and the G string would sound normal I assume.
Your G-string sounds funny?

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said
Quote by im_with_theband

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said

Quote by Pregowski92
people who post spontaneously unfunny, boring cliché comments are made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, on my threads.

good day, sir.
Quote by im_with_theband

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said

people who post spontaneously unfunny, boring cliché comments are made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, on my threads.

good day, sir.
Quote by AlanHB
Err, have you tuned the guitar?

Nah captain obvious, who the hell tunes their guitars these days?! You must be one of the funny haircutted people from the 60's!
Quote by Pregowski92
Nah captain obvious, who the hell tunes their guitars these days?! You must be one of the funny haircutted people from the 60's!

And he's off to bad start. Seriously dude, don't trash-talk the mods. 1) They're fountains of knowledge and 2) would you intentionally piss off a cop? Comparably bad move.

OT: Check your intonation. I had a similar problem for the longest time; turns out they just needed a set-up.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
And he's off to bad start. Seriously dude, don't trash-talk the mods. 1) They're fountains of knowledge and 2) would you intentionally piss off a cop? Comparably bad move.

OT: Check your intonation. I had a similar problem for the longest time; turns out they just needed a set-up.

I'm not trash talking anyone, it's a bit of sarcasm, a bit of banter, meant to be taken lightly. Lighten up mate.
Quote by Pregowski92
I'm not trash talking anyone, it's a bit of sarcasm, a bit of banter, meant to be taken lightly. Lighten up mate.

Well have you? I know a number of amateur guitarists who don't tune regularly.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Well have you? I know a number of amateur guitarists who don't tune regularly.

Yeah of course, I tune my guitars religiously, both with electric tuners, and by ear. I don't think the problem lies in tuning mate.
Quote by Pregowski92
Yeah of course, I tune my guitars religiously, both with electric tuners, and by ear. I don't think the problem lies in tuning mate.

There ya go

The only other thing I can think of is that the string may have been replaced more recently than the other strings - they weren't all replaced together.

Other than that, just your ears.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
if you have changed strings and its still off it could be something with the guitar. Could be the saddle?? If the Gstring is never right you might want to take a good look at your nut. All kidding aside.. The plastic ones do wear at times. Maybe a bone? Might cost ya fifty bucks or so...
he of tranquil mind
Quote by fishmike
if you have changed strings and its still off it could be something with the guitar. Could be the saddle?? If the Gstring is never right you might want to take a good look at your nut. All kidding aside.. The plastic ones do wear at times. Maybe a bone? Might cost ya fifty bucks or so...

Yeah, it could be the saddle. Sometimes string tend to resonate weirdly depending on how they sit on the saddles. At least that's something I have noticed.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by AlanHB
There ya go

The only other thing I can think of is that the string may have been replaced more recently than the other strings - they weren't all replaced together.

Other than that, just your ears.

Both of my electric guitars, I bought quite recently, and I haven't replaced any of the strings (laziness lol).. so I have no idea about their history.. But I might restring both of them and see how I get on.