Page 1 of 4
The following is an excerpt of life behind the ''iron curtain'' in Hungary, written by Hungarian-born writer Zsuzsanna Clark.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221064/Oppressive-grey-No-growing-communism-happiest-time-life.html

Quote by Zsuzsanna Clark

When communism in Hungary ended in 1989, I was not only surprised, but saddened, as were many others. Yes, there were people marching against the government, but the majority of ordinary people - me and my family included - did not take part in the protests.
Our voice - the voice of those whose lives were improved by communism - is seldom heard when it comes to discussions of what life was like behind the Iron Curtain.
Instead, the accounts we hear in the West are nearly always from the perspectives of wealthy emigrés or anti-communist dissidents with an axe to grind.

Thoughts?
My boss is Yugoslavian, and lived there while it was still a Soviet satellite, and he talks about how everyone had a place to live, a car, food, and received some of the best education available in the world.

This article isn't too surprising, communism did a lot right for its people, if you rule out murdering them by the scores and shipping everyone off to the gulag.
yeah haters ganna hate.

currently the usa is borrowing money from a communist country.

so tell me Communism cant work in some sense.....
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Aug 18, 2011,
You also have to understand the amount of brainwashing that was done is pretty big. Whenever my mother is drunk she starts raving about how good it was "During the Soviet times", which especially disgusts my father.

Everyone had work, but noone did it properly. People would show up drunk to construction work, noone would care.

The food was very limited. Store gets supply of chocolate? Lines with 50 people outside a little local store. Shoes, clothes from the west were sold as contraband, because most of the stuff that was made within the iron curtain was shit quality.

KGB. Everywhere. Even in field trips of school kids, there would be a person overseeing so that the kids do not spread "false" words about the regime.

There's a how lot more stuff my dad told me about the soviet times (since he lived during them), but unfortunately that time I was also drunk, thus can't remember them all.

I'm not good at economics, so I don't know if economically this type of communism was doomed to fail from the beginning, but even if it wasn't, what killed it is the neglect of problems by the officials. There's this great caricature, I don't remember the details but basically this:

A train with the Soviet people is riding, but suddenly there's no more rails left, so the train stops. The Soviet Officials sitting infront ponder what to do. And they decide, they'll just tell the passengers that they're still moving, even tho there's no more rails. Which was basically this. A system that was failing, and noone cared.

Actually there were several caricatures with the train and no rails, and it each showed how different General Secretaries of the Soviet Union dealed with it. If only I could find it

Oh and just throwing this out there. Alcoholism and corruption, is what the inherited from the Soviet Union. You type in "Russians" in Youtube or pretty much any Eastern Europe country that was under the regime, and you get a bunch of videos of drunk people falling out of balconies - it's not a coincidence. I am so tired of alcoholics around here, it just disgusts me.
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by HelpTravesty

This article isn't too surprising, communism did a lot right for its people, if you rule out murdering them by the scores and shipping everyone off to the gulag.

except for that tiny little detail....

I think thats interesting because the people I have met (from Uzbekistan) told me that pretty much nobody had a car... They couldn't wait to leave the USSR and come the the US.

Maybe different via region?

Quote by the_white_bunny
yeah haters ganna hate.

currently the usa is borrowing money from a communist country.

so tell me Communism cant work in some sense.....

All economic systems work during huge periods of growth.

It also helps that China is basically manufacturing their GDP.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Last edited by shikkaka at Aug 18, 2011,
I grew up in oppresive commie China. I wouldn't have it any other way. Piece of shit western bias.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I grew up in oppresive commie China. I wouldn't have it any other way. Piece of shit western bias.

www.expedia.com - Buy a ticket and GTFO.
Quote by thr_wedge

If it's not a Chinese site, it's not allowed into China!

Also, look at his location...

On the subject of America borrowing from China, the latter only has money because of huge Western investment in it. China is the most capitalist communist country there is.
Quote by shikkaka
except for that tiny little detail....

I think thats interesting because the people I have met (from Uzbekistan) told me that pretty much nobody had a car... They couldn't wait to leave the USSR and come the the US.

Maybe different via region?

Yeah central Asia is completely different to Hungary. One only has to look at the poorest post USSR countries to see the difference between the eastern European countries and the central Asian ones.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Last edited by Eric_Fail at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by thr_wedge

Haha you use Expedia. n00b.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by thr_wedge

you sound indignant.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
I lived in East Berlin for over a year and met many people who lived under the soviet occupation of Berlin.

Yeah, this woman can go to hell for all I care, the Soviet regime was one of the cruelest in the history of this planet.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I lived in East Berlin for over a year and met many people who lived under the soviet occupation of Berlin.

Yeah, this woman can go to hell for all I care, the Soviet regime was one of the cruelest in the history of this planet.

This. I traveled extensively behind the "Iron Curtain" in the 1980s. The entire place was a vast shit hole.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I know an Eastern European guy who's not exactly a fan of Communism (or Russia) but admits that things were better under the Soviet Union.
Quote by 23dannybhoy23
I know an Eastern European guy who's not exactly a fan of Communism (or Russia) but admits that things were better under the Soviet Union.

Would you also believe a Nazi who said things were better under Hitler?
Quote by Shinami
You also have to understand the amount of brainwashing that was done is pretty big. Whenever my mother is drunk she starts raving about how good it was "During the Soviet times", which especially disgusts my father.

Everyone had work, but noone did it properly. People would show up drunk to construction work, noone would care.

The food was very limited. Store gets supply of chocolate? Lines with 50 people outside a little local store. Shoes, clothes from the west were sold as contraband, because most of the stuff that was made within the iron curtain was shit quality.

KGB. Everywhere. Even in field trips of school kids, there would be a person overseeing so that the kids do not spread "false" words about the regime.

There's a how lot more stuff my dad told me about the soviet times (since he lived during them), but unfortunately that time I was also drunk, thus can't remember them all.

I'm not good at economics, so I don't know if economically this type of communism was doomed to fail from the beginning, but even if it wasn't, what killed it is the neglect of problems by the officials. There's this great caricature, I don't remember the details but basically this:

A train with the Soviet people is riding, but suddenly there's no more rails left, so the train stops. The Soviet Officials sitting infront ponder what to do. And they decide, they'll just tell the passengers that they're still moving, even tho there's no more rails. Which was basically this. A system that was failing, and noone cared.

Actually there were several caricatures with the train and no rails, and it each showed how different General Secretaries of the Soviet Union dealed with it. If only I could find it

Oh and just throwing this out there. Alcoholism and corruption, is what the inherited from the Soviet Union. You type in "Russians" in Youtube or pretty much any Eastern Europe country that was under the regime, and you get a bunch of videos of drunk people falling out of balconies - it's not a coincidence. I am so tired of alcoholics around here, it just disgusts me.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by Jackal58
This. I traveled extensively behind the "Iron Curtain" in the 1980s. The entire place was a vast shit hole.

Good enough for me to keep my current opinions.
western propoganda
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by HelpTravesty
My boss is Yugoslavian, and lived there while it was still a Soviet satellite, and he talks about how everyone had a place to live, a car, food, and received some of the best education available in the world.

We ain't never been a Soviet satellite state . Tito said no to Stalin, which resulted in economic sanctions that negatively affected Yugoslavia for a long time.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
Last edited by SRX700 at Aug 18, 2011,
I knew a guy who lived in Soviet Russia, he said that there was a shortage of doctors in the area he lived in. Many people didn't see the benefit of becoming one since you made the same money as the guy on the street selling oranges. Why spend time studying and going to medical school if you can make just as much of a living selling oranges?

He also said the toilet paper sucked there too. Every time he visted the US he stocked up on our toilet paper.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by CoreysMonster

no, but if a jew said that sort of thing, it might have some impact.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I knew a guy who lived in Soviet Russia, he said that there was a shortage of doctors in the area he lived in. Many people didn't see the benefit of becoming one since you made the same money as the guy on the street selling oranges. Why spend time studying and going to medical school if you can make just as much of a living selling oranges?

He also said the toilet paper sucked there too. Every time he visted the US he stocked up on our toilet paper.

So we live long and are celebrated poopers here in the West.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
That's not surprising. At all. A poor Russian's just as badly off under capitalism as he was under the Soviet Union, although now Putin's a billionaire and they have krokodil to ease their worries.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by piop
If it's not a Chinese site, it's not allowed into China!

Also, look at his location...

On the subject of America borrowing from China, the latter only has money because of huge Western investment in it. China is the most capitalist communist country there is.

Or maybe, roll with me on this one..China isn't communist.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Or maybe, roll with me on this one..China isn't communist.

There's still a teeny little bit of communism in some aspect of China. But yea, China is becoming grossly capitalist, way worse and unchecked than the US's. It's terrible. Chinese people + capitalism = stupid assholes fucking things up.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
There was a substitute teacher in my school I used to talk with, and she was from Hungary. She always spoke quite highly of what communism had done for the country.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Eastern Europe is what sucked.

talking shit about all Communists is like saying all black people are going to rob you, its a nice thought, but most likely not true.

some people and governments cant handle power(ie hitler, eastern European commies).
doesnt mean the whole system is ****ed.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I hope this thread goes for a while. It's going to be funny getting the impressions from a group of people the majority of whom were born after the Berlin Wall came down.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I hope this thread goes for a while. It's going to be funny getting the impressions from a group of people the majority of whom were born after the Berlin Wall came down.

I agree it would be interesting, but this thread would probably get derailed pretty easily.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Jackal58

yeah **** all of those fake ass civil war,wwI, and wwII historians acting like they were there and know what happened.
you have to be born before something happened to have an opinion on it or even talk about it.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
yeah **** all of those fake ass civil war,wwI, and wwII historians acting like they were there and know what happened.
you have to be born before something happened to have an opinion on it or even talk about it.

Nope. I just was curious how many more morons were going to blame it on the fact that it was "Eastern Europe"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

And it's going to be absofuckinglutely hilarious watching some rapscallion kids discussing what primary sources have said.
Quote by due 07
And it's going to be absofuckinglutely hilarious watching some rapscallion kids discussing what primary sources have said.

Sure is.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

Get a pint and do tell.

EDIT: Saying that, it'd be much cooler in real life instead of a forum
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster

1930s seemed pretty good for the average German from what I can make out, and would have been better than post-war Germany
Quote by Craigo
Get a pint and do tell.

Just might do that Craigo. Be back in a couple hours. It's time to leave work and head for home.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Capitalist dupes who deny the workers paradise.

Also point of order, Yugoslavia (which was mentioned early) was never a soviet satellite state, it was a fiercely independent communist country that rejected Moscow's control of the Comintern.
Quote by Jackal58

You can talk. You can still remember when the walls of Jericho came down.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Page 1 of 4