Page 1 of 2
hi guys. just wondering how people store their guitars when youre not playing them?
I keep my guitar in a gig back, standing upright, but since its explorer shaped its leaning to one side, onto the tuners and I think it developed a bad intonation problem because of it. that, and its a cheap guitar. dunno what else could I do tho!
In a case next to my Desk and amp. Clean it every 2 - 3 months. New strings around the same time. Yes, I have OCD.
My guitars are normally just standing in a guitarstand but when I'm not playing them for couple days I put em into a gigbag.
Some are on wall hangers, some under the bed in cases, some leaning up against the wall in cases and one is just sitting out collecting dust - but I never play that one. I wouldn't suggest leaning on the tuners themselves, but that's just me.
3 are on wallhangers. 3 are in the cases. And 2 are on stands
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I always store mine in their cases. Always. I have the worst case of OCD on the planet though.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
I have all of mine in a guitar rack - I make sure they're carefully in place and definitely don't have any weight resting on the tuners.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
There's a shower room like right across from where I have them, so I have to keep them in the cases so the strings don't instantly rust.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Guitar rack. I never have em in cases because i just get the sudden urges to pick up and play so having them in cases would annoy the hell outta me.
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
Put mine in my gig back standing upright leaning against the corner, back of headstock. I clean mine with a 100% cotton after using it, strings and body, wouldn't want my 72' telecaster deluxe to get damaged
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
i keep one guitar on a wall hanger, one on a hercules stand, and my other 3 on a 3 guitar rack

but when i get my PRS, she'll always be in her case
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 18, 2011,
I'm always picking up my guitars to either play them or fiddle with them in some kind of way, so I keep them on the stands at all times. I have 2 Fret Rest stands and they're really nice. My Ibanez Iceman has been in its case in the closet for some time, though. I was playing it, but then stopped and it was just in my way. It gets no love. =( If I had the money, I'd replace the bridge with a TonePros to brighten it up a bit. The stock bridge on the Iceman seems to dampen the strings, even brand new ones.

In my old room at my parent's house, I used to hang my Eclipse and LTD on the wall with some cool wall mounts. They were almost like artwork, lol. But since I live in an apartment now, I don't think I can do that. I probably wouldn't if I could, anyway.

Edit: My guitar stands have those little security things on them so that if the guitars were to fall forward, it'll catch them. Unless they just completely fell forward and hit the ground, but my stands always stay firmly planted to the ground.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Last edited by TH3M B0N3Z at Aug 18, 2011,
I put mine in a case and put that case in another case and they both go into a hermetically sealed coffin that I will eventually be buried in. Then that is in a locked basement which is actually the sub-basement to my locked main basement. The whole house is located on an island in the pacific on which I do not live. It's a lot of trouble to play it on a whim but I really love my 1992 Squire Strat and some Chinese guy worked really hard for 19 hours a day to make it for me.
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by JoshCrawford
In a case next to my Desk and amp. Clean it every 2 - 3 months. New strings around the same time. Yes, I have OCD.

That's not OCD.. When it comes to guitars, if anything, that would be considered lazy.
This is always a question I had about storing a question though: What happens to a guitar if I just leave it out on a guitar stand?

I always put my guitars in their respective cases just in case, but would it harm the guitar if I were to leave it out plainly. I mean, I agree with that guy about it being annoying to have to go through my case if I just wanna randomly play at a certain time. Living in Vegas, during summer, the air is often dry and hot. With those conditions would it really be bad for my guitars to just leave them out like that?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
My best guitar is in a case standing upright in the corner of living room for easy access.
On a stand
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
If I'm not playing them, they're in their cases. They all stand straight up between my wardrobe and my wall to eliminate the possibility of them falling over.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Wall hangers a 7 guitar rack and a couple guitar stands. 14 guitars take up just a little space.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I keep my guitars in the tweed cases standing upright in the closet.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Guitar rack. I'd like to get a different that has the little things that flip over in case your guitar tips, but eh. I own all Strats and Teles, they're pretty indestructible.
Prs sitting in the corner against a wall.
Epiphone leaning on my amp.
Ibanez on a rack. (Hehe i got BKP Aftermath in the mail baby!!!)
My RG560 resides in a case at night, but during the day it's on a stand. My X-50 sits on a stand too most of the time. The case I have won't fit that guitar. So it has sat out for countless hours now. Aside from more dust collection, nothing of note has happened to it. Since I currently am not playing live, I don't change strings often at all so I can't comment on the effect on strings. I haven't had any static in the pots or switch or anything. I clean it every day though and I'd imagine kept in a case you wouldn't be cleaning it so often.
On display on a multi-guitar rack. I play a few different ones each day. My house, though, is completely climate and humidity controlled year round. The only drawback from this method is that my mahogany Parker gets darker and darker with the diffused sunlight, and my PRS gets lighter and lighter. I don't care at all, though. I play them and don't worry about dings, dents, etc.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I have 2 Hercules 3 guitar stands that my guitars and bass live on. The cases take up too much room, take too long to get into and I don't have cases for all my guitars, so it make leaving them in cases impractical. With the stands I can leave them fairly close to the wall and not have to worry about it, and I can lift them whenever with no effort.
My favorite one is under my bed in a case. The other one is in a case in the closet. My tele has like no laquer, and if it does its definitely not polyurathane, so the enviornment and humidity will effect it alot more than a guitar that's paint is "sealed"
wall hangars, regular stands, hard cases, gig bags, laying on the couch, leaning against the wall etc.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by DeathByPalmMute
I put mine in a case and put that case in another case and they both go into a hermetically sealed coffin that I will eventually be buried in. Then that is in a locked basement which is actually the sub-basement to my locked main basement. The whole house is located on an island in the pacific on which I do not live. It's a lot of trouble to play it on a whim but I really love my 1992 Squire Strat and some Chinese guy worked really hard for 19 hours a day to make it for me.

I lol'd

Most of mine are on stands, one that I never play sits in a gigbag under my bed.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Quote by JoshCrawford

clean mine every 2 weeks and string change ever 2-4, you're not alone
on a stand personally, but I've been told keeping them in the case is better, because it will prevent dust settling on it when it's not being played,

doubt keeping it in the case is causing the intonation issue dude
One in a gig-bag (straight up), the other in a solid case (flat on my bed). The one in the bag used to lean against a glass window, which is not particularly good since that apartment is in Christchurch.
Guitar stands and in cases

Stands are cheap. So get some n use them.
3 on stands, 3 in cases, 4 on wall-hangers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Standing against a wall in a well padded gig bag. All those people with cases that have built in humidifiers, silk linings and flux capacitors or whatever, it just seems a bit excessive.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I have a dozen or so hanging on the wall and on stands in my office/music room, a couple more laying about the house for a quick grab, the rest are stored away in their cases. I like to rotate through my guitars, so every so often I'll break out some from storage and put a couple others away.
got 3 guitars and 3 respective resting places for them. a guitar stand, a wall hanger, and that tight comfy corner between my amp and the wall.

i also have a white coffin case and a gator case for transport.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
On a wall hanger
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Page 1 of 2