Ok, so here's my set-up. Epiphone Les Paul Standard into a Fender Hot Rod DeVille and my effects are as follows. Dunlop Cry Baby, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Boss DD-3 and an Ernie Ball passive volume pedal. I've been using this set-up for the past 8-12 months with no problems then out of nowhere I started getting some interference in my sound, for lack of a better term. What I mean is, I can be playing and all is well then out of nowhere it seems as though I have a bad connection somewhere. I've tried using different cables and I even played my acoustic through the board and amp just to rule out the pick ups on my LP. Still the same result. I tried playing wihout using the pedalboard and playing though my solid state amp. Could this be something as simple as a cable? Or do I need to look into changing my tubes? (Remember, I'm a complete noob when it comes to tube amps.) Whatever could it be???
when you plug directly into the amp, do you get the same problem?

i experienced a similar problem with my fender champ about a month ago and it was driving me crazy.. it would sound like i had a live cable buzzing.. after ruling out the pedal board, i was worried something happened to the amp from moving. sure enough, something had happened. inside of the amp, there is a cable running from the speaker to the amp. the wire had come loose from the speaker, so i just had to readjust the connection and the problem was fixed.

try taking a peek in the back of your amp. you'll probably see a little patch looking cable that splits into 2 connections for the speaker. make sure that those 2 connections are all the way on. this may not be the problem, but it sounds a lot like what i was experiencing
Last edited by kjs0118 at Aug 18, 2011,
Well, I have good news....kinda. I played straight from the guitar into both amps and it did fine, but when I played through both amps and with the pedal board, I experienced the "cutting in and out" problem again. So I've narrowed down to being a problem with the board or patch cables.
It happens with pedalboards and you usually have a lot of cables. Just unhook everything and start adding back one at a time.
Quote by mandrews
Ok, so here's my set-up. Epiphone Les Paul Standard into a Fender Hot Rod DeVille and my effects are as follows. Dunlop Cry Baby, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Boss DD-3 and an Ernie Ball passive volume pedal.

I've been using this set-up for the past 8-12 months with no problems then out of nowhere I started getting some interference in my sound, for lack of a better term. What I mean is, I can be playing and all is well then out of nowhere it seems as though I have a bad connection somewhere.

I've tried using different cables and I even played my acoustic through the board and amp just to rule out the pick ups on my LP. Still the same result. I tried playing wihout using the pedalboard and playing though my solid state amp.

Could this be something as simple as a cable? Or do I need to look into changing my tubes? (Remember, I'm a complete noob when it comes to tube amps.) Whatever could it be???

ahhh, so much better now.

well i am a little confused by this:

I've tried using different cables and I even played my acoustic through the board and amp just to rule out the pick ups on my LP. Still the same result. I tried playing wihout using the pedalboard and playing though my solid state amp.

if you changed the guitar, the amp, the cables and bypassed the pedals... well, there is nothing else to try. is your house haunted?

you need to isolate. right now it couldn't be anything cuz it sounds like you replaced it all, or it could be anything because we aren't getting the whole story.

try this: take your LP and plug directly into your amp with a patch cord. then wiggle the connection points at the guitar and amp. if you get no 'interference' then try out all your other patch cords individually with your guitar and amp. then add pedals one at a time (just the wah, then just the od, then just the dist, etc) and wiggle the connections on each one; also check the batteries on each one as well.

this process should isolate the trouble maker
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I've discovered that it's somewhere in my board. I'm sorry for the miscommunication in my previous two posts. After playing my LP directly in my tube amp, it played fine with no problems, but I did have some connection problems after plugging into my board. Thanks for all the help and patience with a guy whose still relatively new to the electric scene.