So, I'm hopefully going to get a job sometime in the (maybe) near future.

And with the money I shall be making from said possible job, I would love to upgrade amp-wise from my Peavey Vypyr 15

I am wondering which amp I should choose, possibly the Peavey Vypyr 100?. I definitely love my current Vypyr, just not enough wattage for practice/band practice( to be heard over loud drums), and maybe small gigs sometime later

My budget is most likely going to be $400-$500.

I play Metal, some hard rock, and modern metalcore/hardcore stuff

underlined because that's what i mostly play.

thanks you for suggestions

tl;dr: need new amp, $400-$500, metal/hard rock/modern metalcore, practice/small gigs, is peavey vypyr 100 suitable for this?
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
Why not get the 60 watt tube version?
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Quote by Stringz of Fury
Why not get the 60 watt tube version?

actually not a bad idea, i might raise my budget though and get the 120 watt tube one lol.
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
At that point you might as well get the 6505 combo. Tube watts are louder than solid state watts.

Also, loudness is logarithmic which means that the more you increase the decibels, the less the volume increases as perceived by the ear. So even though 120 watts is twice as much as 60, it really will only sound maybe 50% louder if they're both cranked to the max. On the other hand, 60 watts is going to be insanely louder than 15 watts.

Even my crappy Spider III is 75 solid state watts and I don't have to go past half way on master volume to be louder than a drummer.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Aug 18, 2011,
you already have a vypyr and want to get another one? please don't!

I don't like my vypyr anymore since I got a EHX English Muff'n (tube overdrive)

Now every dirty channel sounds dry /:

Get a tube amp.
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Vypyr 60 and Vypyr 15 are different amp imo. If you are tired of the Vypyr then don't buy another one. But at least go play the Vypyr 60. As much as I think the 6505+112 is a cool amp - I think the Vypyr 60 is better and arguably more brootalz
I have the 100 and I often use it for band practice when I don't want to lug my 6505+ stack around. It's heard just fine and I'm in a metalcore band with a very hard hitting drummer; plus like all the features it has. I use the direct out very often for making quick ideas on Garageband
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Vypyr 60 and Vypyr 15 are different amp imo. If you are tired of the Vypyr then don't buy another one. But at least go play the Vypyr 60. As much as I think the 6505+112 is a cool amp - I think the Vypyr 60 is better and arguably more brootalz

This... the Vypyr Tube is better than the 6505+ 112 in every way.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why not try the valveking? Theyre a pretty underrated metal amp, and at 100 watts tube power and the ability to plug into an external cab, It's more than you'll need They can be had for roughly 200-300 dollars on ebay.
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
dude come to vegas I'll sell you my tube 60 for 325 with a midi-usb cable
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
Don't get a Valveking for metalcore unless you plan on using pedals for your distortion. Don't get me wrong, I love my VK. But it's not a metal amp.

EDIT: Not stock, anyway. You could do some work on it to get a really good metalcore tone but it'd likely involve changing the speaker, getting an EQ pedal, the "dummy jack" mod, etc.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Aug 18, 2011,
^ wow. not only did you beat me to it but you had almost all the same points

Quote by Bad.Seed
Why not try the valveking? Theyre a pretty underrated metal amp, and at 100 watts tube power and the ability to plug into an external cab, It's more than you'll need They can be had for roughly 200-300 dollars on ebay.

I owned a Valveking and I'd disagree. It is not a metal amp. Underrated? Yes. It has a nice clean channel and lots of potential if you are into modding things. I replaced the speaker with a Eminence Man O War, most of the preamp tubes, and ran an OD and a EQ pedal before I got to something I felt was acceptable.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow. not only did you beat me to it but you had almost all the same points

I owned a Valveking and I'd disagree. It is not a metal amp. Underrated? Yes. It has a nice clean channel and lots of potential if you are into modding things. I replaced the speaker with a Eminence Man O War, most of the preamp tubes, and ran an OD and a EQ pedal before I got to something I felt was acceptable.

Forgot to mention the OD pedal but a friend of mine had one that he threw a couple of Jj's 12ax7s in v1 and v2 (i think) and boosted it with a ts9 and I thought it sounded awesome. Had a decent modern feel to it....didnt sound too much different than a 5150 but it was also running through an external cab with v30's. Im sure that made a little bit of difference haha
Bands
xRepresentx
Hellsent (New)

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Epiphone SG-400 Limited Edition w/ EMG 81/85

Madison Divinity w/ JJ Preamps
Peavey 6505
2 Custom Built Cabs w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ wow. not only did you beat me to it but you had almost all the same points

That being said, the VK would be great for TS if A) he wants to use pedals for his distortion and B) is like 80% of this board and wants "an amp for metalcore but with good cleans too."
wow, im so glad i finally stopped sleeping(slept for like 14-15 hours for some reason) and looked back at this thread, because i was looking at more amps and i was going to go with a valveking xD....well scratch that idea, i think ill go with either the tube 60 or tube 120....thanks for all the help!
Quote by Stringz of Fury
At that point you might as well get the 6505 combo. Tube watts are louder than solid state watts.

Also, loudness is logarithmic which means that the more you increase the decibels, the less the volume increases as perceived by the ear. So even though 120 watts is twice as much as 60, it really will only sound maybe 50% louder if they're both cranked to the max. On the other hand, 60 watts is going to be insanely louder than 15 watts.

Even my crappy Spider III is 75 solid state watts and I don't have to go past half way on master volume to be louder than a drummer.

Wrong.
A watt is a watt. A watt on a tube amp isnt magically bigger.
Tube amps are louder because they can go past their rated output through soft clipping which is mostly unnoticeable whereas SS cant. An SS amp rated at 75W will get stuck there once you hitt clipping. Tube amps are rated at power dissipation just below clipping point. So once you start clipping, say, at 1 o clock, beyond that, you go above rated power. That 100W tube amp is probably putting out anywhere between 150 and 200 with all the knobs on ten.

And a 120W amp is 3Db louder than a 60W.
And doubling the power will get you a 10% (probably less, dont remember enough of logs to calculate it properly) increase in volume, not 50.
EDIT: 311 says Vypyr>6505. 311 has a Splawn. Splawn of any sort>6505.
I rest my case.

And get the sanpera II with the Vypyr. Also a good cab.
I say grab a used Vypyr 120 head and a Harley benton or avataar V30 212.
Or fit an unloaded 112 with an Eminence Tonkerlite.
The Peavey Blue Marvels arent exactly great speakers.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 19, 2011,
well...

2 clarifiers:

a.) tube amps sound louder to the human ear due to the way the vibrations and harmonics hit your ear drum. i think right? But yeah, a watt is a watt.

b.) the 6505/5150 (+/II) are awesome amps.. Don't get me wrong. If you want a strait up no frills throw down br00tal metal machine then get a 6505 family of amps. If you need something more versatile with a variety of kick ass amp models and lots of features - then a Vypyr Tube amp might fit better.

If it is down to the 6505+112 combo and a Vypyr 60 combo I'd take the Vypyr.

That said, the 6505+112 combo does have reverb and a nice clean tone on its own for a low budget dual channel high gain amp.
if not in dire need of sparkly clean, i present the Used 6505. i know its not the answer to everything....but if u really do love metalcore that much......its what all of the metalcore bands are using so u just might as well if thats the sound your going after
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Wrong.
Tube amps are louder because they can go past their rated output through soft clipping which is mostly unnoticeable whereas SS cant. An SS amp rated at 75W will get stuck there once you hitt clipping. Tube amps are rated at power dissipation just below clipping point. So once you start clipping, say, at 1 o clock, beyond that, you go above rated power. That 100W tube amp is probably putting out anywhere between 150 and 200 with all the knobs on ten.

And doubling the power will get you a 10% (probably less, dont remember enough of logs to calculate it properly) increase in volume, not 50.
I rest my case.

The power rating is the theoretical maximum power before clipping. You can run a valve amp a long way into clipping. Power is area under the graph so the more you clip the more power there is. A watt may be a watt but how are you measuring that watt? What's written on the amp isn't the actual amount of power the thing will actually produce by a long shot.
I seem to remember explaining this to you before. Do you have a learning disability?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The power rating is the theoretical maximum power before clipping. You can run a valve amp a long way into clipping. Power is area under the graph so the more you clip the more power there is. A watt may be a watt but how are you measuring that watt? What's written on the amp isn't the actual amount of power the thing will actually produce by a long shot.
I seem to remember explaining this to you before. Do you have a learning disability?

You told me the exact same thing! That a tube amp can be driven into clipping to produce more than the rated power!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You told me the exact same thing! That a tube amp can be driven into clipping to produce more than the rated power!

I seem to have misread what you wrote, sorry. Perhaps I have a reading disability.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Wrong.

I rest my case.

I worded that wrong I was just trying to make a point that tubes have more potential power than solid state, and the numbers and percentages I used were also just as an example that demonstrate the same concept of logs. There was no need to try and confuse the guy and myself with complex math to make a simple point.

Also doubling the power won't always give you the same 10% increase in volume, 15 and 30 watts is going to have a bigger difference than 60 and 120.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ so basically he can sound like everyone else?

sorry, couldn't help myself

lmao its ok, thats exactly what i mean haha. he wants the metalcore sound.....why not buy the amp that does it the best?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED