Hi guys...

I got my first guitar about 3weeeks ago and practiced.
But i still can't make a clear sound and can't change chord fast enough.
I tried learn on the internet but still have hard time how to practice and what to do ....

Should i take a lesson and if i take a lesson what should i look for in the lesson?

Or if i can learn by myself how sould i practice?

I need your advices...

Thank you very much guys....
lessons can be great but remember a 1 hour lesson will only help if you put in the time to practice what you have learned
If you have the desire and the time to commit to practicing then go for it. If you plan on continuing with your playing the lessons will probably be worth it. I would go to your local music store and ask them if they have lessons there and if not, ask if they know of any guitar teachers in the area
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Lessons are good for EVERY beginner. It would do good for a guitarist of any level. If you do take a lesson just tell your tutor about what you can and cant do and they will fill the gaps and help you progress as well as give you constructive critisism on your playing. Well worth it, after you can learn on your own after getting a basic grounding.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Just get some books on how to play and keep practising. Most books explain a lot and and have some good techniques.
I've never bothered with lessons(Im sure it shows lol ) but I'll eventually get some. I am completely self taught and after playing casually for the last 2 and a half years I think I've come pretty far. Im sure I could be much better by now but I only played every now and then. I think If you put your mind to it and practice the right way you should be ok.

The short answer is YES they help(duh) but you dont NEED them.
So …thereis no magic portions.
You take lessons or not you should put up lot of practice ....even you can’t do it now but eventually you can play.
Am I wright?

Thank you very much for you replies....
Last edited by jhp999 at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by dopelope
I've never bothered with lessons(Im sure it shows lol ) but I'll eventually get some. I am completely self taught and after playing casually for the last 2 and a half years I think I've come pretty far. Im sure I could be much better by now but I only played every now and then. I think If you put your mind to it and practice the right way you should be ok.

The short answer is YES they help(duh) but you dont NEED them.

I would like to agree with everything he just said. Lessons are'nt for everybody, but they certainly do help. I would suggest taking lessons for a good month and see if you like them or not. However if you find yourself hating them, remember you don't hate music, you hate the way it's taught.

Above all else, remember, youtube/UG are your best friends when it comes to learning.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
my husband is 100% self taught, and he's one of the best guitar players i've ever worked with. i, on the other hand, had several years of lessons. i'd say if you want to learn on your own it helps a lot of you're a determined and focused person. having the right teacher not only helps to teach you technique, but can also help people get passed periods where they may lack motivation.

either is good - it depends on you.

there are some good free lessons at justinguitar.com and i like the DVD lessons at homespuntapes.com
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by jhp999

1) I got my first guitar about 3weeeks ago and practiced.
But i still can't make a clear sound and can't change chord fast enough.
I tried learn on the internet but still have hard time how to practice and what to do ....

2) Should i take a lesson and if i take a lesson what should i look for in the lesson?

3) Or if i can learn by myself how sould i practice?

1) If you can't make a clear sound or change chord fast enough, you just need more practice, assuming you're not doing something that is way off. The first few months of learning an instrument is going to be hell. Also, learn to take breaks. You're only going to frustrate and burn yourself out if you try for 5 straight hours changing chords and not being able to progress further. Practice, take a break, and then chances are you've improved a bit.

2) If you can afford it and you don't have much going on with your life, I say take lessons. You'll improve much faster, and you can start learning songs that you like much faster. I self-taught myself for about a year or so, and my repertoire of songs stayed firmly below a number of 5 in that time. And I'm not even talking about full songs.

3) If you're not going to take lessons, do not get into the trap of doing what feels comfortable. "Proper" technique can feel uncomfortable at first, but it's so much better than playing the guitar with your index to pinky fingers of your right hand planted firmly on the guitar's body.

I think everybody has their way of practicing. But the general method is that you take something you're working on, try to find out what problem you're having, and then keep working on the problem until you can fix it, or if it's a matter of speed, until your muscle memory becomes developed. Nothing revolutionary.

Edit: As said above, just because you don't take lessons, it doesn't mean you can't go anywhere. Likewise, if you take lessons, it doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to play the guitar like the virtuosos. All it takes is correct practice.
Last edited by triface at Aug 18, 2011,
In addition to what everything that has been said I have this to suggest also (lessons or not)

1. Put down the guitar.
2. Relax and breath.
3. Remind yourself this is supposed to be fun.
4. Take your time, don't rush, everything will eventually start happening but you need to do one thing almost daily: P R A C T I C E

Lessons wouldn't hurt especially one that really critiques your form. I found form is everything; good form leads to good results. Bad form will lead to all kinds of issues and things you will need to fix or correct down the road.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1