Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a Laney VH100R off ebay for £300 but before I do, I must know, would this amp be ok to play at relatively low volumes? I've heard people saying they don't sound good at low volumes. I play with my HT-5 with the volume at about 4 o'clock with a 4x12 cab but I would play it a bit louder if my HT-5 could go louder. Would the Laney be ok in this situation? I've heard people using the return loop knob as a Master volume. So, what do you think? Should I go for it or would it just sound to fizzy at the volumes I'm talking about? Another example of the volumes I play at would be that my friend, who was about 6 feet away from me in the same room was shouting and screaming trying to speak to me, but I couldn't hear him Would this be ok for the Laney?

Thanks alot
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
prolly

my laney needs to be a bit louder than my engl to sound good (assuming the vh100r is the same as teh gh50l), but it's still not all that loud. it's a lot quieter than a 5 watter cranked up that's for sure. i clocked my vht special 6 at well over 100 dB, and my laney at like mid 80s.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, it'll probably sound better cranked up, but if your 5 watter cranked isn't loud enough, I doubt there'll be too many problems, lol. I mean a 50 watter is only twice as loud as 5 watts (everything else being equal), and a 100 watter is only slightly louder again.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah right that's ok then Ye my dad always complains that my 5 watter isn't loud enough
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
haha awesome

what i'm saying is assuming that the ht5 gets as loud as other, actually-all-tube, 5 watters. I'm assuming it does, but I haven't tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It probably does similar volumes, although it's not an all tube amp. It is pretty loud!
yeah i mean my thinking is that, although it's technically not all-tube, the bits that control how loud is is probably are.

maybe that's BS, though. But yeah I would imagine it's a similar volume to an "all" tube amp, as it's a bit like a tube amp with a tubescreamer in front of it (and an SS PI).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What Dave said. It sounds best loud, and I'd say 4 o'clock on a HT5 is the kind of volume at which the Laney gets interesting. It's just not good at whisper-volumes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys I guess that means you will be seeing a NAD soon I think he said he could deliver it a week sunday so if I do buy it (which I probably will) that's hopefully when I'll get it
good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ye the guy just said that it's all in good condition and he will send me some extra pics tomorrow so it looks promising
What matters is your live sound anyways. I'll practice plugged into a freaking iPod, but for a concert... thats different.

*kicks my amp*
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
A VH100R turned down will make a HT-5 turned up sound like the cheap piece of hybrid crap that they are. And at least you will be able to keep up with a drummer with a VH100R when you need to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What matters is your live sound anyways.

what if you don't gig?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i don't think they appreciate ratt
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go for it, they are great amps, I live in a student housing apartment so I daren't push my 50watt combo version of the same amp very loud but it still kicks the hinder-parts of olden ladies.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think they appreciate ratt

People that dont appreciate Ratt don't deserve peace and quiet.
i don't think my neighbour cares about noise, considering he cuts his grass about 4 times a day
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's quite funny because half my neighbours usually see me the next day saying 'Oh, that was really good' and some will be complaining about how loud and annoying it was
I think the one I'm buying already has a new set of 5881/6L6 tubes in it. Not sure if that's good or bad but I think it changes the mids quite a bit. Anyway, there's another one on sale with the standard tubes in but that is about £50 more but if the standard tubes are better I'll get that one

EDIT: That's a point. What would sound better the 5881's or the EL34's? What's the difference?
Last edited by UKMaster at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by UKMaster
Hi guys,

Another example of the volumes I play at would be that my friend, who was about 6 feet away from me in the same room was shouting and screaming trying to speak to me, but I couldn't hear him

Thanks alot

Say goodbye to your hearing!
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by Dilberto
Say goodbye to your hearing!

Hahaha yeh I already have tinitus, and I'm only 15 I also play drums so that just makes it worse
Dude, get ear plugs designed for musicians. Best investment that you could ever make. Tinitus ain't no joke. You don't want it to get worse.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by UKMaster
Hahaha yeh I already have tinitus, and I'm only 15 I also play drums so that just makes it worse

Seriously? Do you want to enjoy music for the rest of your life? Or do you want to be cast aside as a guitarist that always has bad tone (to your ears it'll sound fine because you can't hear anything above 5khz) and won't be allowed in the studio as your idea of a good mix is so jaded? You cannot undo hearing damage and what if you want a job that requires a hearing test?

Not to mention when you get a warning letter from the council and next thing you know they turn up and confiscate all your kit you've spent your hard earned money on. Do they have to give it back?

Do I play loud at home? Loud enough, but not that loud. I'm not trying to offend but you can only lose like this.
Quote by fly135
Quote by LaidBack
Dude, get ear plugs designed for musicians. Best investment that you could ever make. Tinitus ain't no joke. You don't want it to get worse.

To use for practice at home? WTF??
Quote by fly135
Quote by Dilberto
To use for practice at home? WTF??

To practice at home or jam with friends, yeah. I like to play loud when I can. If it's not bothering anyone else and just making my playing experience that much more enjoyable (by getting better toanz) then why not?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Drums, fair enough - they're inherently loud. But the guy's already upset neighbours with his volume so using earplugs when you're on your own just for tone is stupid.
Quote by fly135
Hey man, opinions are like people on this forum...they're all assholes.

Don't think I got that one right...

In all seriousness, drummers should always be using earplugs, unles they're using brushes, then not so much. But I feel that if you are playing through anything more than a SS practice amp you should be wearing hearing protection. As a musician, our greatest asset is our ears, protect them. I like to crank my 50 watt tube amp to 10 when no one's home. Cops haven't been called on me yet. I have no reason to stop.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I mean I do wear these canal ear phones which do block out alot of sound when I play my guitar and drums but they aren't that good for protection. And I'm not sure if I have tinitus but it's strange because my ears don't ring all the time, just sometimes. I can never hear it when I'm doing things but if I sat down and concentrated I can hear it, but I never notice it otherwise

Anyway, Are 5881's in the Laney ok or should I get one with EL34's?
It doesn't matter, you can swap them out if you have one tube or the other. Just buy this one and if you want to try EL34s down the line, buy some, swap in and bias.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
It doesn't matter, you can swap them out if you have one tube or the other. Just buy this one and if you want to try EL34s down the line, buy some, swap in and bias.

That is true. How easy is it to swap out tubes and bias them? Is there a switch like on some amps which lets you just select EL34/6L6?
Quote by UKMaster
That is true. How easy is it to swap out tubes and bias them? Is there a switch like on some amps which lets you just select EL34/6L6?

The VH100R has a switch which selects 6L6/EL34. The 5881 is a 6L6 type tube. The switch only does so much though, you'll need to flip it to the right position and then adjust the bias via a trim-pot on the inside of the chassis like with most other amps. Otherwise, the bias can be grossly off.

All you need is a multi-meter and preferably an octal bias-probe like this one:
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p471_Kit-Bias-Probe-Octal.html

If you care, I have a closely related model (GH50L) and I think it sounds great with both types of tubes. EL34s give you that typical upper-mid-bite you'd associate with Marshalls, while 6L6s give a bigger bottom-end and smoother mids. It's still the same amp, but the differences are clearly audible, so trying both definitely pays off.
Quote by TheQuailman
The VH100R has a switch which selects 6L6/EL34. The 5881 is a 6L6 type tube. The switch only does so much though, you'll need to flip it to the right position and then adjust the bias via a trim-pot on the inside of the chassis like with most other amps. Otherwise, the bias can be grossly off.

All you need is a multi-meter and preferably an octal bias-probe like this one:
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p471_Kit-Bias-Probe-Octal.html

If you care, I have a closely related model (GH50L) and I think it sounds great with both types of tubes. EL34s give you that typical upper-mid-bite you'd associate with Marshalls, while 6L6s give a bigger bottom-end and smoother mids. It's still the same amp, but the differences are clearly audible, so trying both definitely pays off.
Agreed! No concerns with cutting through the mix.

just to point out- if you don't know what you're doing you can electrocute yourself while biasing (or while doing anything if the chassis is open), even if the amp is off.

so have someone with you who knows what he/she is doing, or let someone else do it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm yes I may use these that come with the amp until they start to die or I get persuaded to change them and then I'll try different tubes like the EL34's. Also, because I won't be pushing the power tubes much because of the volume levels will there be less of a difference or will it still be very different? Sorry if this sounds like BS, I don't really know much about tubes and how they work
You'll hear the difference just as much even at low volumes, but from what I understand you like to play loud anyway...

Dave's right, be careful when adjusting the bias on amps, as some of the parts store lethal voltages even after the amp has been turned off. You know filter caps? Those big cylindrical things in there? Don't touch the connectors on those.
But use some common sense and you'll probably be fine. Don't touch anything if you don't know what it does. Don't touch any open bits of wire. Use tools (i.e. screwdriver for adjusting the bias trim-pot) with plastic or rubber handles. Keep one hand in your pocket, so you can't get an electric shock with current flowing from one arm to the other (and therefore straight through your heart).
Detailed instructions once the need arises. The important thing is that while you need to be careful, this isn't rocket science. Most people should be able to do it fine.

Sometimes you'll find fresh or just slightly used sets of tubes on ebay for cheap, btw.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 19, 2011,
Ah thanks for all the advice Are there any electrical gloves or stuff like that you can buy? I mean, I've heard people just use something like a cloth to do stuff like pulling out the tubes. My dad is sort of an electrician so he would be happy to help me
Page 1 of 2