After purchasing a variety of different guitar magazines for a couple of years, reviewing the array of equipment on offer I purchased a LTD EC 1000 SSB and a Blackstar HT-5 mini stack. The headphone socket on the amp is essential.

With main purchases made, I’ve cut my habit and I now purchase 1 mag a month. The freed finances assist in employing a guitar tutor for an hour every 3 weeks. I’m making progress on improving my knowledge, skills and making use of the tablature archive I've collected.

I’m going to have the guitar professional set up in a few weeks by a Luthier. The cost will include instruction in keeping the guitar maintained. I use 10-52s in standard tuning. I’m into death metal, old school Thrash. Not many other styles interest me to be honest. I'm really into rhythm playing rather than lead.

Do I actually need any other kit whilst developing my skills?

I’m in two minds about purchasing guitar effects. I feel that money would be better spent on tuition, but I’m curious to experiment with the variety of effects available. I play at home. I’m not going to record my own music, and I’m not in a band. To have a broad pallet of sounds would open up new levels of creativity but I know I’d spend my time tinkering with sounds rather than learning to play the guitar.

It sounds like I'm taking the fun out of it, but I don't want to waste money and make poor decisions on future purchases.

Cheers,
Jase
Last edited by JayRed72 at Aug 19, 2011,
I would say that if you can see yourself wanting to be in a band in the future, a few pedals are essential, especially when writing songs. I've been in circumstances where I've written a nice little riff, and it fits in with what the band mates are playing as a jam. Then I rememeber I have these effects at my disposal. Say if I'm chugging away on those powerchords, a bit of whammy every now and then adds a cool sound to it. Or maybe a tremolo, delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, octaver, phaser, whatever, you name it :L

It's the little moments like that when you realise YOUR sound and not the sound you've bene imitating. You don't need effects to discover the sound you want to play, but it may in someway shape it or make it easier.

Don't go out and buy a whole load of effects pedals. Start out with the basic. A delay, a chorus and a whammy. Pretty standard, and essential in some ways
Well pedals are not always MUST HAVES, however, a few will definitely help you achieve a tone you'll not be able to achieve without which.

I suggest a MFX to help you get familiar with effects before diving into the deep end with individual high end pedals.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Right, get a cheap MFX pedal and experiment with it. You may find your tastes later.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
You need a fog machine.

BTW, you can whammy without a whammy by bending the neck. Oh wait, LTD EC 1000 SSB... mahagony neck, right? ...Never mind.

Digitech whammy FTW and is included on all Digitech MFX w/expression pedals.
this actually sounds pretty similar to where i was after a couple years of playing.

Quote by JayRed72
After purchasing a variety of different guitar magazines for a couple of years, reviewing the array of equipment on offer I purchased a LTD EC 1000 SSB and a Blackstar HT-5 mini stack. The headphone socket on the amp is essential.

those aren't horrible choices really, but do bear in mind that guitar mags are INCREDIBLY biased in their reviews of brands by who spends advertising dollars on them. they generally are far too nice and don't mention too many drawbacks of equipment.

take everything they have to say with a grain of salt.

Quote by JayRed72
With main purchases made, I’ve cut my habit and I now purchase 1 mag a month. The freed finances assist in employing a guitar tutor for an hour every 3 weeks. I’m making progress on improving my knowledge, skills and making use of the tablature archive I've collected.

i don't mean to be rude, but you can stop buying guitar mags. this site alone has more tabs and lessons than you could ever hope to collect in guitar mags and while they aren't as flashy they are just about as good and they are more varied. after a couple years of reading those things there is really nothing more to learn from guitar mags.

if you like reading them though, then keep it up

Quote by JayRed72
I’m going to have the guitar professional set up in a few weeks by a Luthier. The cost will include instruction in keeping the guitar maintained. I use 10-52s in standard tuning. I’m into death metal, old school Trash. Not many other styles interest me to be honest. I really into rhythm playing rather than lead.

by 'kit' do you mean equipment you can needlessly sink money into? i'd say not really.

but then again, it is all about what you wanna learn and how you want to grow. i played for about 7 or 8 years with 1 basic guitar, 1 amp and a couple of pedals. after some time i expanded my gear collection to the point i can't even play it all, but i learned how to use all this equipment. i expanded my skill set immensely and diversified what i can do.

Quote by JayRed72
I’m in two minds about purchasing guitar effects. I feel that money would be better spent on tuition, but I’m curious to experiment with the variety of effects available. I play at home. I’m not going to record my own music, and I’m not in a band. To have a broad pallet of sounds would open up new levels of creativity but I know I’d spend my time tinkering with sounds rather than learning to play the guitar.

i waited til after college to start sinking money into equipment. i just didn't have any until i got a 'real' job (that sux). there is always later, you don't have to sink serious bucks into music equipment until you are ready. i know there is a bunch of advice to the contrary on UG, but just wait until the time is right. if you are happy developing a guitar playing skill set and waiting for expansion then there is nothing wrong with that.

i didn't even get into gear much until i had the desire to explore and the money to enable exploration.

Quote by JayRed72
It sounds like I'm taking the fun out of it, but I don't want to waste money and make poor decisions on future purchases.

i'll tell ya what. this is a MUCH different environment to learn to play guitar than what i grew up in. today there is actually quite a bit of 'free' stuff to get a taste of what you don't have. with free versions of Amplitube (with enough amps and effects to choke an elephant) and free versions of Reaper to record and try out TONS of free VST plug-ins you really don't have to live like a hermit. you can try a taste of effects without investing much more than a couple bucks on a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Venomtank
Start out with the basic. A delay, a chorus and a whammy. Pretty standard, and essential in some ways

How the hell is a Whammy basic and or essential?

If anything for what the TS wants, an OD, Chorus and A tuner maybe, but whammy in thrash metal?
Get an rp355 for $130 used.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
While you're at the crossroads, don't forget to hand your guitar to Legba and let him tune it....
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
a good guitar and amp are all you "need". fx are cool to have and certainly have there place. they in no way help you learn to play. if you want to concentrate on learning to play then stick with it. when you can afford them then take the time to research them and see what fits into what you want to do sound wise. as mentioned a cheap multifx unit would give you an idea of what they sound like and can do (of course the one thing you will learn is that cheap mfx units don't sound that great)
Trash metal whammy? Kirk Hammet uses one. Dethklok and a lot of these others might not be "Trash" but Brendon Small uses one. Buckethead, Tom Morello, Dimebag, to name a few uses one. It's also useful for making guitar sound like a bass--like Jack White did in all his White Stripes tracks where it sounded like there was a bass (e.g., 7 Nation Army, Hardest Button to Button...)
Quote by jetwash69
Trash metal whammy? Kirk Hammet uses one. Dethklok and a lot of these others might not be "Trash" but Brendon Small uses one. Buckethead, Tom Morello, Dimebag, to name a few uses one. It's also useful for making guitar sound like a bass--like Jack White did in all his White Stripes tracks where it sounded like there was a bass (e.g., 7 Nation Army, Hardest Button to Button...)

I know what the whammy is, but I would never call it essential let alone basic for any style of music. except for maybe white stripes / RATM cover bands.
I'll buy that. The only essentials for thrash in my book are humbuckers and massive distortion. 24 frets is a plus, but not 100% mandatory. But the Whammy is a definite plus, especially if you don't have a bass player around all the time. I drop an octave to play bass solos a lot, but that's a matter of choice, and it's usually not for thrash songs--more punk and modern, really.

The whammy also comes in handy for "tuning" down a half or a full step with Floyd Rose guitars, although chords don't track so great. It would also be great for harmonizing, but I'm not that into it yet.
I'd agree, this is one of the very few times that I would recommend a Vyper Tube. In your case it is the right answer.

Never take much notice of guitar magazine reviews - hell, they normally say the Marshall MG is an ok amp. Payola much?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
But really, if you are "standing at the crossroads" you need a Gibson with the tone control turned down and a Marshall JTM45.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
But really, if you are "standing at the crossroads" you need a Gibson with the tone control turned down and a Marshall JTM45.

+1 But that's definitely not trash, no matter how you dice it!
Quote by Cathbard

I ACTUALLY GOT IT
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by jetwash69

Please fix your post! Trash =/= Thrash
Quote by JayRed72

I’m in two minds about purchasing guitar effects. I feel that money would be better spent on tuition, but I’m curious to experiment with the variety of effects available. I play at home. I’m not going to record my own music
If you want to improve your skills I think it's a mistake to not record yourself. Listening to a recording of yourself allows you to critique your playing much more accurately than judging yourself while playing. A drum machine or a software drum machine is what I would recommend. You can get something like an RP155 for FX and it has a drum machine. $60 used is a reasonable price. Put it in the HT-5 loop.
Quote by Jayred72

What's wrong with teaching yourself? There's sooo much information and instuction out there for the guitar and you'll save a lot of money if you take that route.

Even if you're not in a band you should still record yourself. If you don't, youll never know how good you really are. Get a mfx unit like the g3 that has lots of effects and distortions to experiment around with. It also has a synchronized drum machine that can be used with the 40 sec looper(which no other mfx unit has in it's class)
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Twistedrock
I ACTUALLY GOT IT

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone