When I play my High E and B strings they make my low E and A strings ring, I took my guitar to a guitar shop and they adjusted truss rod and said intonation was ok, they said it was prob cause the neck was bowed a bit, But I get home and it still rings.... (I know I should have tested it at the store....) Anyone know why this is happening?
is the sound transmitting thru the amp?

have you been muting properly?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
is it too loud? the E string, high or low, is supposed to do that. When you play it, the A, G, B and the other E string will vibrate. It's easily heard in acoustic guitars. Play the low E and let it ring. Then mute the high e, B, G and A strings one by one and you will noticed the difference. This happens because the low E (82.41 Hz) "stimulates" (might not be the right word, but it works) the high e, which is the four times the amount of Hz (329.63 Hz).

Of course, this happens in electric too. But the question is: is it too noticeable? is it REALLY loud?
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Last edited by SupahStrat at Aug 18, 2011,
Yea it's like a resounding bell almost
it's a squire affinity strat, so no floyd lol
Last edited by Ericthegreat at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by SupahStrat
is it too loud? the E string, high or low, is supposed to do that. When you play it, the A, G, B and the other E string will vibrate. It's easily heard in acoustic guitars. Play the low E and let it ring. Then mute the high e, B, G and A strings one by one and you will noticed the difference. This happens because the low E (82.41 Hz) "stimulates" (might not be the right word, but it works) the high e, which is the triple amount of Hz (329.63 Hz).

Of course, this happens in electric too. But the question is: is it too noticeable? is it REALLY loud?

82.41x 3=329.63? Not even close.
82.41x 4=329.64.

Learn to mute better?
Its probably from vibrations in the tremolo springs, some people stuff a sock or cloth behind the strings to dampen the vibrations.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
I tryed pushing against the springs with 1 hand wheil I played and it didnt seem to help but i'll try again real quick.
It was worth a shot. I have seen guitars that just seem to have this more than others.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Quote by DimebagZappa
82.41x 3=329.63? Not even close.
82.41x 4=329.64.

Learn to mute better?

sorry typo hell I even checked before typing it if I multiplied correctly
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Quote by Ericthegreat
So no one knows what the problem might be?

Quote by me

AGAIN:
is the sound transmitting thru the amp?

have you been muting properly?

see. these are important questions, i didnt see you answer.

any noise not transmitting thru the amp is negligible.

if it is sympathetic resonance and is transmitting thru the amp,
then you can sometimes change string gauge, to try and get rid of it.

but it's not always possible and you'll want to mute unused strings better.

also if you think it's noise in the trem, then shove a cotton rag in there,
if you think it's fret buzz then raise the saddles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 20, 2011,
Sounds like it could be your technique, or it could be just one of pains of a cheap guitar.

You could always tie a hankerchief or shoe string around the strings after the nut. That will decrease open string resonance, but should also reduce some noise.
Probably an issue with your technique. Do the hanky thing, that'll stop it, if it bugs you that much.
Would you guys like another sample or the file uploaded somewhere else/another format (dont know if I convert it if it will sound the same)?
It could very possibly be your technique. You should use the ridge of your picking hand to mute the rest of your strings, or your pinky, or any way that works for you without limiting your picking ability. Using your left hand is a must as well.
Last edited by LostKeys at Aug 21, 2011,
I tryed with my friends amp and it was better, but it sounds real bad with my amp and my vst (i plug direct into pc so maybe vst is ****?) Maybe it is just my amp is broke since this all started after I played max volume on overdrive (it is a crappy fender frontman 15g) I plan to get a mustang I soon, I think I will go play one at guitar center soon.
I've noticed that when I pick my low E string, it will cause the B string to vibrate, but not really sound the note. It doesn't affect my playing or anything, though. And this is on my $1400 ESP Eclipse II. The vibrations of the low E would seem to make other strings that aren't muted to vibrate slightly.

Instead of using a shoestring or cloth behind the nut for the strings, try foam that's thick enough to fit between the strings and the headstock. That or electrical tap, but it gets very sticky on the strings. Painters tape would be better but it normally comes in blue or green. If you don't mind the color, go for it.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Resonance, look it up.
Mute better. Your muting technique is shit, and they only way to fix the problem is to improve it.
Quote by Ericthegreat
I tryed with my friends amp and it was better, but it sounds real bad with my amp and my vst (i plug direct into pc so maybe vst is ****?) Maybe it is just my amp is broke since this all started after I played max volume on overdrive (it is a crappy fender frontman 15g) I plan to get a mustang I soon, I think I will go play one at guitar center soon.

I give up on you.