Page 1 of 3
So pit, heres a moral and society question, is harming yourself, such as eating 20 000 calories a day, selfish? or is it appropriate because you have the choice of your body?

Dont limit this to the excessive eating, but cutting yourself, driving yourself off a cliff, any self harm, is that selfish, or an appropriate choice of what you do with your body.

discuss
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
you could argue that everything humans do is selfish.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
you could argue that everything humans do is selfish.

giving aid to an injured person is not selfish

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Sometimes.

In the case of the woman that wants to break the world record in weight it is, because it puts a terrible burden on her young children to take care of her.

Things like cutting are just stupid.
I would say it is selfish because you're hurting those that care about you.
Northern wind take my song up high
To the hall of glory in the sky
So its gates shall greet me open wide
When my time has come to die
Quote by JimmyBanks6

It is. You would feel worse if you just let them die. You help them to make yourself feel better. Hence, selfish.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by JimmyBanks6

Not AS selfish. But many things humans do can be boiled down to being selfish in the sense that you do something to make yourself feel good, or to gain favor from said person somewhere down the road.

Obviously that doesn't mean everything is selfish, I'm just throwing a devil's advocate argument out there.
Quote by fearofthemark
It is. You would feel worse if you just let them die. You help them to make yourself feel better. Hence, selfish.

Oh god, not this again.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Yes it is.

Why are you helping the person? He could be a future rival, yet you help him. The reason that you're helping him is that you have been psychologically conditioned to believe that helping = being good, which is further enforced by the fact that helping people biologically releases dopamines (happiness hormones) into your system, because you are helping keeping your species alive.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

It is if you're only doing it to quiet a guilty conscience, or redeem yourself from a past misdeed.

EDIT: ^ Damn you all!
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Oh god, not this again.

yes, this again.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Generally, yes. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Especially if you have people (such as kids) depending on you.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Oh god, not this again.

this. These threads never end well.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
no. you can't just give a straight answer because every form of self harm is completely different.

*cutting yourself is basically wearing your emotions on your sleeves. there's nothing selfish about it.

driving off a cliff, or any form of suicide, is not selfish by motive, and that's to a reasonable degree. being mentally ill can blind you from irrationality, and some people may argue it gives you a sort of depressive realism that gives you more rationality. either way, it's not selfish by motive because essentially it's your life, and there are times when you're so down that you don't really give a fuck about anything else.

that supersize me story is selfish, yes.

*i'm not including those who supposedly cut themselves for attention. stop typing.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
If the only reason you help a person is to rid a guilty conscience, i feel bad for you.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
If the only reason you help a person is to rid a guilty conscience, i feel bad for you.

helping others doesn't make you feel good?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by JimmyBanks6
So pit, heres a moral and society question, is harming yourself, such as eating 20 000 calories a day, selfish? or is it appropriate because you have the choice of your body?

Dont limit this to the excessive eating, but cutting yourself, driving yourself off a cliff, any self harm, is that selfish, or an appropriate choice of what you do with your body.

discuss

Yes
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by fearofthemark
helping others doesn't make you feel good?

you only help people because it makes you feel good?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

If I help someone, I feel good. If I don't, I feel guilty.

Why else would you help someone?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I think if they are doing it to seek attention then yes, it is selfish. But some people have actual problems and can't help it, then no.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Is there any other reason?
You'd feel bad if you didn't help. So you help because it makes you feel good.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Okay, suppose I help someone without any intention of helping myself. I'm not going to benefit materially. I don't think it'll make me happy to do it, and it turns out I don't enjoy it at all--I regret doing it immediately afterward. So I've done something for someone else with no intention of helping myself.

Somebody saw me do it and rewards me with a million dollars, a private island and my own stable of hookers. Now the thing I did has benefited me. Doesn't matter. It was totally selfless. You can't say an action is selfish just because you benefit from it, that's confusing the cause with the effect.

So let's not insist everything people do is selfish just purely for the sake of maintaining a cool world-weary attitude, okay?

On topic, depends on the situation.

Quote by JimmyBanks6

this.

If I'm standing on the side of the street and someone not paying attention steps into traffic, I'm going to try and stop them by pulling them to the side of the road.

In that instance that that happens, I'm not going to think about how I'll feel if I don't stop them, I just do it.

Selfishness doesn't come into play at all.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
this.

If I'm standing on the side of the street and someone not paying attention steps into traffic, I'm going to try and stop them by pulling them to the side of the road.

In that instance that that happens, I'm not going to think about how I'll feel if I don't stop them, I just do it.

you don't have to think about it to know that seeing someone commit suicide in front of you when you could have easily stopped it would make you feel guilty as f*ck.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I don't know about about selfish, but I've always considered suicide to be pretty brave. I think you've gotta be pretty ballsy to actually kill yourself. I know I would never have the courage to do it.
I think it's different things to different people, and you can't really overall label the act.
Quote by WCPhils
this.

+1

i have given people a hand before that if i didnt, i wouldnt have cared in the slightest, but i did anyway, for no reason.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
It just pisses me off when i see a ridiculously fat person harming themselves by eating a lot of fat food and taking the lazy way from point a to point b. I think:

"You know your fat. Why not help yourself?"
Quote by Shr3dz0r
I don't know about about selfish, but I've always considered suicide to be pretty brave. I think you've gotta be pretty ballsy to actually kill yourself. I know I would never have the courage to do it.

I disagree. I'm not going to say it's always selfish, because it's not always, and I would be wrong, but it sometimes is.

There are parents who commit suicide all the time. How is that not selfish to kill yourself when you have children depending on you?
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Wesseem
well would you help someone if helping them meant you would feel nothing but absolutely awful?

yeah i have actually, a few physical labour jobs, didnt need to help, didnt really want to, felt like absolute shit after, but helped anyway, why? for no reason, was asked to help and said sure why not.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Your body is not a tool for which somebody else can use to relieve THEIR conscious.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by WCPhils
I disagree. I'm not going to say it's always selfish, because it's not always, and I would be wrong, but it sometimes is.

There are parents who commit suicide all the time. How is that not selfish to kill yourself when you have children depending on you?

Many times, people actually consider their loved ones to be better off with them dead. So the person killing his/her self actually is convinced that they're doing a selfless act.
Quote by Shr3dz0r

Lots of things (dealing with a bitter divorce from someone you still love, raising a severely autistic child, or just living after being paralyzed from the waist down, for example) are much, much harder than having a couple drinks and shooting yourself in the head. If somebody kills himself or herself after being confronted with something like that, I'm not thinking "Pretty ballsy," I'm thinking they took the coward's way out.

I'm not saying that suicide is always wrong, but I am saying that it's easy when life gets hard.

Quote by WCPhils

i think you're looking at it the wrong way. how fucking blue-faced would you have to be to kill yourself when you have that much relying on you? keep in mind being depressed is a mental illness, and it doesn't cause you to think as clearly and as rationally as you are right now.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Lots of things (dealing with a bitter divorce from someone you still love, raising a severely autistic child, or just living after being paralyzed from the waist down, for example) are much, much harder than having a couple drinks and shooting yourself in the head. If somebody kills himself or herself after being confronted with something like that, I'm not thinking "Pretty ballsy," I'm thinking they took the coward's way out.

I'm not saying that suicide is always wrong, but I am saying that it's easy when life gets hard.

ehh, no, i think suicidal people are very aware dying in depression is worse than living in depression. they do it because they can't take living any more. there are people living in standard conditions that are depressed and people with literally no limbs that are happy. it's nothing to do with your physical well-being as much as your mental well-being, even though they do get in each other's way a lot.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
yeah i have actually, a few physical labour jobs, didnt need to help, didnt really want to, felt like absolute shit after, but helped anyway, why? for no reason, was asked to help and said sure why not.

looks great on your cv and you get to brag about it every time this topic comes up.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by WCPhils
Yes, I guess I can see that. But I still it as a selfish act, even if the intentions weren't entirely selfish.

I don't see it that way with all suicides. I'm just talking about the scenario I used before.

Well what makes something selfish if the intent of the person isn't selfish?
Quote by JimmyBanks6

makes no sense. if there was no conceivable reason why you did it then you would not have done it. you are just conveniently leaving stuff out. that something could be it was just easier to agree to do it rather than say no, or you didn't want to risk a bad reputation for saying no.

Let me ask you, if you felt like shit after then do you regret doing the job? if not then why?
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Twist of fate
I cut myself in a safe way and it doesn't hurt anyone or myself.
Feels good man.
But I don't recommend it

Hmmmm interesting. Like your knuckles or something? I know someone who does that, too, but they never talk about it.
Page 1 of 3