hey I want to record a bunch of guitar pieces to audacity. I've had to use audacity for school so I basically know how to use it. The problem is my guitar just sounds too quiet. It's an acoustic guitar and I'm recording with a shure sm57 mic plugged directly into my computer. I don't know if it's the mic or not...the sound quality isn't bad really, but it's too quiet for it to be a really good recording. Can you help me?
In audacity you can turn up the input volume, but if its already all the way up you might be shit outa luck. And for the future you're gonna want to buy an interface, everyone kids themselves saying that the sound isn't bad, but those who are serious eventually buy an interface and realize how dumb they were for not getting one sooner (me included).
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by jcboomer
In audacity you can turn up the input volume, but if its already all the way up you might be shit outa luck. And for the future you're gonna want to buy an interface, everyone kids themselves saying that the sound isn't bad, but those who are serious eventually buy an interface and realize how dumb they were for not getting one sooner (me included).

What kind of interface would you recommend? I've been trying to get into recording more.

not trying to hijack the thread or anything.
i dont have any trouble but i have toneport as my line in,works a treat and for me audacity is pretty good,ive got reaper but havent had a chance to work it out yet.
I might need a new sound card but I'm guessing I'd be ok if I got an interface/preamp. What type do you guys think works best?
What will you be recording? Just acoustic, or electric, vocals, drums...?
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by jcboomer
What will you be recording? Just acoustic, or electric, vocals, drums...?

just acoustic
Are you plugging into the mic or line in? If the mic have you checked in the recording dialog of the control panel to see if mic boost is on? This is assuming XP. The mic input has two levels. So you need to make sure the boost is on. However the spec for the PC sound card really indicates a preamp is desired. A cheap Behringer mixer is good. Or just go for a USB audio interface.