Page 1 of 4
In the 8th episode of the second season of the Simpsons, Flanders says this. I didn't get it until I re-watched the episode as a 22-year old adult.

What other hidden adult jokes have you come across in children's cartoons?

I'm going to start off with a great example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

"finger prints"

"I dont think so"
Scooby doo, and Shaggy, both smoke pot because they are always hungry, and have the jitters, Fred and Daffney are always missing for the majority of the episode, so they are out doing it in the back room, and the other girl ain't important.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Wait.

Did you just refer to the simpsons as a childrens show?

I don't think even Matt Groening would pretend that the Simpsons wasn't intended to be a children's cartoon?
Quote by CoreysMonster
I don't think even Matt Groening would pretend that the Simpsons wasn't intended to be a children's cartoon?

Really? I mean, that's some high brow stuff going on in that show. I didn't get any of it as a kid.

Re watching old simpsons episodes is the greatest thing ever though
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Really? I mean, that's some high brow stuff going on in that show. I didn't get any of it as a kid.

Re watching old simpsons episodes is the greatest thing ever though

Back when the simpsons was first created, cartoons were thought of as purely kids' stuff.

That's part of the reason why the early simpson episodes were so tame, because it was mainly targeted at kids.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Back when the simpsons was first created, cartoons were thought of as purely kids' stuff.

That's part of the reason why the early simpson episodes were so tame, because it was mainly targeted at kids.

Hmm. Maybe I was just a dumb kid

Then again my parents never let me watch it (yet they let me watch Ren and Stimpy. Which is WAY more ****ed up )
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Hmm. Maybe I was just a dumb kid

Then again my parents never let me watch it (yet they let me watch Ren and Stimpy. Which is WAY more ****ed up )

My parents let me watch Simpsons up until the episode where Bart works at the local burlesque house, and immediately turned off the TV when Ren and Stimpy came on.

Quote by CoreysMonster
My parents let me watch Simpsons up until the episode where Bart works at the local burlesque house, and immediately turned off the TV when Ren and Stimpy came on.

I can't watch R&S any more without hearing fry's voice....

AND it comes full circle.
Half of the jokes in Dumb and Dumber
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I can't watch R&S any more without hearing fry's voice....

AND it comes full circle.

DAMN BILLY WEST for being the sole carrier of our childhood cartoons!
Quote by CoreysMonster

I was never allowed to watch Ren and Stimpy, and my parents did the same thing with the Simpson's. Me and my brothers would watch it, and then something racy would happen and my mom would turn it off. We wouldn't be allowed to watch it for a few weeks and then my dad would let us watch it again. The cycle repeats.

Good times.

On topic, this http://youtu.be/T83krnZ-sD8
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Wait.

Did you just refer to the simpsons as a childrens show?

my thoughts exactly. how is the simpsons a childrens show? Homer is always getting hammered and homoer and marge always talk about having sex.
thats like saying south park is a childrens show!
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by vanhailin
my thoughts exactly. how is the simpsons a childrens show? Homer is always getting hammered and homoer and marge always talk about having sex.
thats like saying south park is a childrens show!

South Park is waaaay worse. I wouldn't call the Simpsons a children's show, but maybe a family show.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
dont you guys know every cartoon was aimed at kids? family guy, american dad, robot chicken, even hentai! duh
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by WCPhils
South Park is waaaay worse. I wouldn't call the Simpsons a children's show, but maybe a family show.

I watch South Park with my dad but i'd agree that south park is much worse, but south park is also much funnier because they cross the line so much more, imo.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
A BUNCH of stuff from the Animaniacs. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

Also: Regular Show, which is played on a network that primarily shows "Children's cartoons", has a lot of stuff that gets by censors. Like the fetish guy with baby ducks, shake weight, manboobs, ect.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
Quote by cxrlxscr

OH MY GOD!

Regarding The Simpsons, I won't argue that cartoons were only kids stuff back then, but I think the reason that the first few seasons were so tame is that he was trying to get a bigger audience. Once he realized the adults were more into it than the kids he went all high brow and adult.
I recall something about choking chickens in Rocko's Modern Life once.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Flippy Floppy
A BUNCH of stuff from the Animaniacs. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

Also: Regular Show, which is played on a network that primarily shows "Children's cartoons", has a lot of stuff that gets by censors. Like the fetish guy with baby ducks, shake weight, manboobs, ect.

A little-known fact, but many jokes back in the 90s got past the censors because the writers deliberately put really raunchy jokes in the show. So the censors would be all "Omg, joke X definitely won't work!" and the writers were all "okidoke", because they snuck in the dirty stuff the censors didn't catch.
Hey Arnold:

In an episode where the boys are being taught Synchronized Swimming by a coach, at one part he clearly says "Boys, the art of circumcised swimming..." I can find a youtube video if you guys want.

Helga's mom is clearly an alcoholic, as she is always seen making "smoothies" with a blinder, she talks with slurred speech, in one episode Helga asks her dad "Where's mom?" and he said "Sleeping behind the couch" and Helga said "Again?" Also there's an episode where Helg mentions to Arnold that her mom is picking her up and Arnold says "Oh, she got her license back?"

Oskar is either Polish or Jewish, and is lazy, neglectful of his wife, doesn't work, has a gambling problem and is always begging people for money.

Arnold's grandpa has a (fake) flashback to WWII where he beats up Adolf Hitler. His Swastika patch has a sad face instead. I had no idea what any of that stuff was when I was 8.

Mr. Simmons was gay and his dad didn't approve of it. When he mentions something (I think Ballet or something like that), you see his dad just stare at him in disapproval very subtly. He never had a wife or anything.

There's one weird white kid who doesn't have much time on screen and wasn't a main character, but sometimes you see him in the background or he might have a part on certain episodes. It's really obvious when I recently watched a show that he had down syndrome or something similar to that. He just laughs weird and loud, has an underbite, wears his pants really high and his socks are showing, and at one part just in the background you see him laughing with his mom while holding a balloon. His hair is just more thin and is only a few lines, a lot less than other characters.

Such a good show to go back and watch and see all the things you didn't catch.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Definitely was not supposed to be a kid's show. It was always supposed to be a prime time tv show, and it broke new ground by being one of if not the first animated show to hold its own during a prime time slot. If it were a kid's show it would have played in the day time like the other ones, not in the evenings
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Another reason being that with a lot of things, Batman: TAS being the prime example, is that not a single executive gave a **** about what happened on the show as long as it got made and got ratings. Batman for example needed to run so WB could keep the Batman rights. So all the dark and creepy shit that happens on that show, you can thank Paul Dini not understanding that it was a kids show and censors not giving a ****.
Quote by cornmancer
Another reason being that with a lot of things, Batman: TAS being the prime example, is that not a single executive gave a **** about what happened on the show as long as it got made and got ratings. Batman for example needed to run so WB could keep the Batman rights. So all the dark and creepy shit that happens on that show, you can thank Paul Dini not understanding that it was a kids show and censors not giving a ****.

You know what else that gave us?

I'm sorry, I love Freakazoid, but it was clearly the product of executives seriously not giving a crap anymore.
Quote by bradulator
I recall something about choking chickens in Rocko's Modern Life once.

that was the name of the restaurant.

there was that one episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog where Eustace was sick, and they were going to get the recipe off of the computer, and Muriel tries to type, and then a site comes up (the viewer can't see it) and you hear monkey noises and courage gasps and covers the screen and Muriel blushes and giggles. and then at the end of the episode, Courage is on the computer again, making this weird face. you know what he's doing...

Quote by The Madcap
Oskar is either Polish or Jewish

in one episode someone mentioned him having a Czechoslovakian accent, so maybe he's that. though it's hard to tell from actually listening to it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by cornmancer

Man, some deep shit happened on that Batman cartoon.

Shit was great.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by theogonia777
that was the name of the restaurant.

there was that one episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog where Eustace was sick, and they were going to get the recipe off of the computer, and Muriel tries to type, and then a site comes up (the viewer can't see it) and you hear monkey noises and courage gasps and covers the screen and Muriel blushes and giggles. and then at the end of the episode, Courage is on the computer again, making this weird face. you know what he's doing...

Courage was another show where the censors didn't give a **** or were cashing in on the success not giving a **** had given them before, because that shit gave me nightmares. Same with Billy and Mandy. I was rewatching Batman: TAS, but when I nearly came to tears that episode in the first season where there's the kids who live in the sewer with the kidnapper who tells them they can't ever talk and uses light as punishment, I took a break.

Sadly, the only cartoon I've been watching recently is Futurama which was never a kids show, so I've nothing to contribute to this thread but nightmare fuel for myself.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 18, 2011,
"Regular Show" comes to mind.

Very recent but still..
██░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓██
▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒████████▓▓
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▓█████▒██▓▓
█▓▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▓██▒▒▒██▓▓
██▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓▒▓▒██
▓█▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒░▒█▓░▒▒▓▓██
▓▓▓▒██▓▓▓▓▒▓██▓▓▓▒▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒░▓▓▓
Man, I want to watch Hey Arnold again.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by Momentosis

I have all episodes of Hey Arnold on my comp.

Just sayin. >_>
Quote by CoreysMonster
I have all episodes of Hey Arnold on my comp.

Just sayin. >_>

How much space does it take up?

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by CoreysMonster
17 GB, roughly

That's not bad at all.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by Momentosis

I think it's all on Netflix "watch it now"

That's only helpful if you have netflix though.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Page 1 of 4