So I'm looking at these tabs for this song, and I'm confused about something.

----F Am G
e|--1---0---3--|
B|--1---1---0--|
G|--2---2---0--|
D|--3---2---0--|
A|--3---0---x--|
E|--1---x---3--|

Basically, the first chord (F), there are 6 strings and I see a "1" on the e, B, and E strings. So I'm assuming I'm supposed to place my fingers on the first fret on the first, fith and sixth strings? If that's true, then I'm also supposed to place my fingers on the second fret, fourth string (the G), place my fingers on the third fret, third string (the D), and my fingers on the third fret, second string (the A). My question is, how am I supposed to put 6 fingers on the guitar when I have 5 fingers?

Am I just reading it wrong? Am I supposed to leave the e, B, and E strings open? If so, then why is there a "1" there? I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to read this chart. Could someone explain the right way to read it? Thanks.
Quote by filter2700
So I'm looking at these tabs for this song, and I'm confused about something.

----F Am G
e|--1---0---3--|
B|--1---1---0--|
G|--2---2---0--|
D|--3---2---0--|
A|--3---0---x--|
E|--1---x---3--|

Basically, the first chord (F), there are 6 strings and I see a "1" on the e, B, and E strings. So I'm assuming I'm supposed to place my fingers on the first fret on the first, fith and sixth strings? If that's true, then I'm also supposed to place my fingers on the second fret, fourth string (the G), place my fingers on the third fret, third string (the D), and my fingers on the third fret, second string (the A). My question is, how am I supposed to put 6 fingers on the guitar when I have 5 fingers?

Am I just reading it wrong? Am I supposed to leave the e, B, and E strings open? If so, then why is there a "1" there? I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to read this chart. Could someone explain the right way to read it? Thanks.

The F chord is a barre chord. That means you use one finger to hold down all of the strings on a certain fret. In this case, you would have to lay your index finger on the first fret for all 6 strings. It takes a decent amount of strength, especially on the first fret, which is why every guitarist hates the F chord. You would use your middle finger on the 2nd fret G string, pinky on the third fret D string, and ring finger on the third fret A string.

There's an easier way to play it, but its looked down on by some people. Wrap your thumb around the neck and use that on the first fret E string, use your index finger on the first fret for both the high e and B string, and then the other fingers are the same as above. Some people consider wrapping your thumb around the neck bad technique, some people don't. Personally, I do it all the time.

EDIT: the advantage of these chords is that you can shift them up and down the neck and they'll work for different root notes. If you were to move the entire shape up by 4 frets, it would be an A major chord (4 semitones higher than F major), and so on
Last edited by sporkman7 at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by sporkman7

There's an easier way to play it, but its looked down on by some people. Wrap your thumb around the neck and use that on the first fret E string, use your index finger on the first fret for both the high e and B string, and then the other fingers are the same as above. Some people consider wrapping your thumb around the neck bad technique, some people don't. Personally, I do it all the time.

I've always found wrapping the thumb over kind of hard.

I don't think it's advisable if there's any chance TS might pick up classical guitar at any point. The necks are huuuuuuuge.
Wrapping your thumb around the neck is a bad idea. It should almost always be behind the neck except when doing bends, or vibrato or chords that it is absolutely necessary. Some people can get away with it without it affecting their playing, but that's only if they have massive hands like Paul Gilbert or Jimi Hendrix.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
barr chords take a while and yes the 1st fret is hardest,id suggest u practice that chord in a higher position,maybe 5th or 7th fret and slowly work back to first fret,will take a few weeks to nail it but i actually prefer playing barr chords,actually easier than the most basic chords once your comfy with it.
When making a barre chord does everyone place the first finger (the barre finger if you like) down first? or do you place the 2nd to 4th fingers down first and leave the 'barre finger' to last?

I tend to leave the barre finger to last but I was advised that this was not the best way of doing it. I still struggle with barre chords so it's not too late for me to change my ways!
Quote by AshersUK
When making a barre chord does everyone place the first finger (the barre finger if you like) down first? or do you place the 2nd to 4th fingers down first and leave the 'barre finger' to last?

I tend to leave the barre finger to last but I was advised that this was not the best way of doing it. I still struggle with barre chords so it's not too late for me to change my ways!

I put down the barre finger first. Usually, all the notes that you hit with the barre finger are also in the key you're playing, so even if you take a second to put the other fingers down, you'll still be in the right key.

But proper technique dictates that you should put down all fingers at the same time