Hey, i was wondering if there was any tips on how to pick up speed on the guitar. I usually chose a fast song and learn how to play it slow. Then i play it faster everyday. It has helped my speed and control over the frets. Anyone else have any tricks they use?
When you're learning a new song take it slow. You can't force speed. It shouldn't feel difficult to play fast. If it does than slow down and keep working on it.

Practicing with a metronome is also a good way to track your progress and to learn to have better timing all around.

Edit: Another thing is to remember to be comfortable and relaxed. Playing fast is about using efficient movement. I use Jazz III picks and I love them. I'm not sure if they make me play faster but it makes it more comfortable.
Last edited by Malenchanted at Aug 18, 2011,
I use this crazy trick called "practice", maybe you've heard of it? It may sound insane but I figured that trying to play things better would make me a better player.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Corvette_cav
Hey, i was wondering if there was any tips on how to pick up speed on the guitar. I usually chose a fast song and learn how to play it slow. Then i play it faster everyday. It has helped my speed and control over the frets. Anyone else have any tricks they use?

Tricking the mind with slow and fast tempi helps in such ineffable ways. Mind just seems to be the major rooadblack with a majority of players that once you start challenging your brain you begin to use your hands to the fullest extent. *hehe*. Changing the tempo often and using exaggerated rhythms furthers this idea. And just the good ol' metronome to physically sync both hands as a way of understanding speed. - Leo
The most important step in being able to play something is to first close your eyes and envision yourself playing it in front of a crowd effortlessly and gracefully. Now that you've done that, whenever you get discouraged go back to that picture and feed off of it whenever you need inspiration.

The way that I usually develop speed for a specific technique is by first making an excercise out of it. If theres a part in a song that you can't play up to speed the first thing you should do is identify what the problem is. Once you find that trouble spot, make an excercise out of it involving only that certain spot. Thats when the practice comes in. Begin to practice the excercise to a metronome at a comfortable speed. Make sure that every note is accurate and that your not putting any tension at all on your body. Focus on using incredibly small movements or what would be called the economy of motion when practicing. Once you can play the excercise perfectly and comfortably raise it up by 1-3 beats. Repeat the process until you've reached the desired speed.

Another thing that I use when it comes to practicing my picking technique is using a thicker pick. For example if you play with a 1mm pick try practicing with a 2mm pick and then switch back to the 1mm. It should feel much lighter and easier to play. That method works for me personally but it may not work for everyone. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Regards!
Last edited by dannydawiz at Aug 19, 2011,
There really are way way way too many threads asking about how to increase speed. It's just practise like everything. There are no tricks. You can't suddenly be able to play clean at lets say 100bpm then in a few days work up to 200bpm. Doesn't work like that.
Quote by vayne92
There really are way way way too many threads asking about how to increase speed. It's just practise like everything. There are no tricks. You can't suddenly be able to play clean at lets say 100bpm then in a few days work up to 200bpm. Doesn't work like that.

Not always true, sometimes people need to be directed to what to practice and in fact at a certain point everyone will need to do something more specific than just grind the metronome to improve.

Problem is most people don't provide enough information to enable us to give specific advice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 19, 2011,