Budget: $2000 for the head, whatever for the cab

Genres: Everything from Post-Grungy stuff (Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle) to straight up rock (Foo Fighters, Coheed) to Metalcore (BFMV, All That Remains). Good distortion, good cleans

New or Used: Either or

Home or Gig: Gigging

Closet City: Salt Lake City, UT

Current Gear:
* LTD EC-1000 with EMG 85/81
* Spider III 15 watt (need this gone!)
* Will also be getting an assortment of pedals, including Phaser, Delay, Chorus

Cleans are a must. I've been looking at a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, but I'd like to know if there is something else that would suit me better. Thanks guys!
Peavey 6505+. This thing punches out massive sound, wattage, and power. The only amp you'll ever need.
Orange Rockerverb 100. Just cause you seem to really want good cleans.

If you just need the channel to be clean and nothing amazing than 6505+ would be great.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
I would not buy a 6505+ if you really need nice cleans. Great amp otherwise.

With your budget you should fit nicely into something like a Bogner XTC or Shiva, Splawn Quick Rod or Nitro, Mesa Road King or Mark, Orange Rockerverb, Titan, Baron, etc USED

That said, you could also consider two different amps and ABY them.

There is a 5150 II and a Dr Z Maz 38 on your craigslist. That would be a nice mix

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=600&maxAsk=2200

there is also a 6505+ and a THD Flexi 50. Wait - or the Blues Deluxe.

you get my point
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I would not buy a 6505+ if you really need nice cleans. Great amp otherwise.

With your budget you should fit nicely into something like a Bogner XTC or Shiva, Splawn Quick Rod or Nitro, Mesa Road King or Mark, Orange Rockerverb, Titan, Baron, etc USED

That said, you could also consider two different amps and ABY them.

There is a 5150 II and a Dr Z Maz 38 on your craigslist. That would be a nice mix

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/search/msg?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=600&maxAsk=2200

there is also a 6505+ and a THD Flexi 50. Wait - or the Blues Deluxe.

you get my point

This. Id look into the road king or splawn. A 6505+ is not what you want in this situation.

Edit: Bullet for my Valentine uses a Roland Jazz Chorus for their cleans IIRC. Thats likely the cleans your hearing on Hearts Burst Into Fire. Not a 6505.
Last edited by guitarpatrick66 at Aug 19, 2011,
So, I really like the 6505+. The clean channel bothers me, but with the ABY setup (bear with me, I've never heard of this device), I could have another amp+cab set up that will run the cleans through it?

Also, what is a good cab to consider with the 6505+?

EDIT: The Road King also looks great for an all in one package. So would Bullet by using an ABY type setup to switch between the distortion and cleans?
Last edited by skomskom at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by exos308
Peavey 6505+ all the way. Best amp I've ever heard.

that is insanely sad. if thats the best you have heard, you probably shoudln't be giving advise towards it, being that if you have heard quite a few other amps out there make anything peavey makes sound like a MG.

look into some of these. splawn nitro, diamond nitrox, roadking, an Engl, soldano hotrod/avenger, as mentioned oranger Rocker or rockaverb 100, or thunderbird 100 or thunder30
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by skomskom
So, I really like the 6505+. The clean channel bothers me, but with the ABY setup (bear with me, I've never heard of this device), I could have another amp+cab set up that will run the cleans through it?

EDIT: The Road King also looks great for an all in one package. So would Bullet by using an ABY type setup to switch between the distortion and cleans?

it sounds good in theory runing an a/b/y switch between two amps one for clean, one for dirt, but isn't what i would recommend. its whole additional rig to bring, more cables, etc, another amp to get in the mix.

what you could do if you wanted (not saying this is the best, but i have done it) was run two heads into one stereo 4x12" where two of the speakers from amp a (go X paterned), and the other to amp b. this at least eliminates at least an additional cabinet.

i have done that with my Nitro and Pro Mod with K85's, and it works really well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah I definitely get that. Carrying a whole additional rig does not sound pleasant. The Road King is what I'm leaning towards now. Still wondering about cabs though
If you like the Road King (one of my end all to be all have to amps ) also please check out the Egnater Renegade head. It may not be quite as capable but it is extremely versatile imo. Run 2 totally different types of power tubes. At the same time. cough cough. wants. Wonderful cleans, reverb and footswitch. Head is $999 new.

i'd say you want some 'looser' speakers maybe like Celestion G12H30s or Greenback or the like. Maybe paired with something tighter. Higher rated basically.
check out the 6534+ if you like the 6505+ (it has better cleans and in general sounds better than the 6505+ IMO)

also check out the dual rec/ or a dual rec roadster?

other than that maybe an AxeFx Ultra and poweramp/ cab? (im only saying that because im GASsing hard for one but check it out nonetheless)
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 19, 2011,
I agree with Derek by the way. Running 2+ amps can get cumbersome. Especially when there are amps like the Road King and Renegade.

Quote by skomskom

No. That is running another amp into a second. Forget that. An A/B/Y box is just a switcher that switches into 2 channels (A or B) or combines both (Y). You would basically have both amps on and running and just switch the channel to whichever amp tone you want.

Speaker cabs are a whole other deal man. To me, picking out the right speaker/cab config is harder than deciding on an amp. Just read a bunch and listen to comparison clips. Otherwise, get warehouseguitarspeakers.com Veteran 30.
if the TS is set on a 6505+ with a clean amp, then use like a roland JC-120 or some fender combo amp and have distortion through the stack and a small combo for cleans
I'll second the suggestion of Egnater Renegade. Amazing amp for the money. I'm hardly able to fault mine to be honest. Put a boost in front of it, with the right guitar and you'll be a massive dirt tone. Back it off and the cleans are sublime as well.
I've seen Renegades go for $750 used here in the States. I've heard of a few reliability concern posts but they seemed pretty solid to me. Maybe not quite the 'professional' tone of the Road King nor as down right br00tal - but it really leaves me gassing for one hard!

I mean if you want a good cabinet you need $400 minimum imo anyway.

Another option is a Splawn. I've read that the Splawns are pretty much a Marshall circuit with a 6505 emphasis. Not as br00tal of course but in that vain. pissed off pretty much. Their cleans are what I consider a dry marshall clean. Needs a verb pedal or something. not bad....just not fender, vox, bogner, mesa clean.
Alright, so I think I've decided on the Road King..Might be a little out of budget, but that's fine. I want this to be the last amp I'd ever really need to purchase and from the demos I've seen, it's got everything I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help guys!
There is no amp that's going to cover all of that really well.

I'd recommend a Mesa Dual Rectifier though. With that, you have Breaking Benjamin, Coheed and BFMV tones covered, and you can easily tweak it to sound good for the other things listed as well. The only thing that you won't be able to really pull off is ATR, but you'll still have a good metalcore tone if you EQ it right. Try using a boost for that as well.

I would not get a 6505 of any form. They're good amps, but they're very limited in what they can pull off.

EDIT: The Road King is ****ing BEASTLY. If you want to save up for that, go for it. That is my dream amp, and just warning you, I'll rain mad hate if you do a NAD for it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is insanely sad. if thats the best you have heard, you probably shoudln't be giving advise towards it, being that if you have heard quite a few other amps out there make anything peavey makes sound like a MG.

look into some of these. splawn nitro, diamond nitrox, roadking, an Engl, soldano hotrod/avenger, as mentioned oranger Rocker or rockaverb 100, or thunderbird 100 or thunder30

Dude relax, I've played most of those amps, I don't like them as much as the 6505+. Thats just what I think. I love my 6505.