Page 1 of 2
I like comedies a lot. Dazed and Confused, Superbad, etc. are all amazing and completely rewatchable. That being said, Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie series ever. The extended versions are just way too epic to even be allowed. I gotta say though, I hate horror movies. They scare the shit out of me. Why would anyone want to be SCARED? I understand action movies where people are being complete badasses and there are things exploding everywhere and people dying because that's awesome, but scary movies just baffle me.

What is your favorite genre of movie? your favorite movie of all time? Are there any types of movies that you just can't stand? Old vs. modern movies? etc. Just talk about movies in general.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by WhiskeyFace
All.

really?

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

i watched the inbetweeners today. overused comedy, and it just raked up every single movie cliche that's ever existed and either did the whole anti-humour thing or just went with it. character progressions are also boring and overused. it's the kind of show you watch at home and laugh at, not the one i'll go to the cinema to watch.

i like films with a good plot with good actors and good film scoring and a tad of humor and it having good cinematography and lighting and original directing and i hate horror films because they're scary and SHUT UP CHICK FLICKS ARE GOOD
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I fucking hate comedies on the base that they never manage to amuse me in the slightest. Romantic comedies should likewise be taken behind the shed and have their misery put out of them.

I love good horror films. It's too bad they don't make them any more.
Quote by Våd Hamster
I fucking hate comedies on the base that they never manage to amuse me in the slightest. Romantic comedies should likewise be taken behind the shed and have their misery put out of them.

I love good horror films. It's too bad they don't make them any more.

WHAT??? I love romantic comedies!

Not because they're amazingly written, but because it's a cute story to watch. a way to entertain yourself without making yourself think too much. kind of like listening to Katy Perry.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

When it comes to Movies, TV, etc. it's all about the characters. My favorites usually have complex and unusual characters. Thats why I like Coen Brothers movies a lot as they make GREAT characters. The swedish hitman from Fargo, Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men, etc.

That's also why Mad Men is my favorite show, as every character is complex and multidimensional.

Clint Eastwood does very interesting characters, like The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and Gran Torino, too.
Quote by cornmancer
A film thread does in fact exist.

awe

I never went there, that might be why I forgot about it. Isn't it all high brow stuff though?
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I hate most modern horror movies, they just try to put sex in with a few "boo!" holy shit moments :/
Quote by Amy_Lee

That made me laugh and then choke on my own phlegm.

Check my shit out
Quote by metalhead805
I hate most modern horror movies, they just try to put sex in with a few "boo!" holy shit moments :/
+1
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Yeah we don't anything unless it's in a foreign language and subtitled.

Subtitled? you guys are such wannabes. I only watch it in original french. And I don't speak french
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark
WHAT??? I love romantic comedies!

Not because they're amazingly written, but because it's a cute story to watch. a way to entertain yourself without making yourself think too much. kind of like listening to Katy Perry.

Cute things make me want to break stuff.

No seriously, every RC I've ever been fooled into watching because sisters/gf, has left me with a seriously ill taste in my mouth. Not because I really hate cute stuff- but because I don't find it cute. And if there's not that, all you're doing is watching some actors drool around like they've got single digit IQ and bitching about not understanding why romantic endeavour 44 failed.

Maybe it's because I'd also rather clean my trashcan 3 times in a row than listen to 3 minutes of katy perry.

God damnit, all I see when I look at that shit is ''hurf hurf romance is haarrrd'' and it fucking infuriates me. I don't even know why.

Now I need a beer.
I'll watch anything once.
But I can't watch scary movies by myself. I don't like them but I watch them anyway.
cat
anything by chris nolan, coen brothers as posted before. interesting movies that make you think are entertaining to me. romantic comedies are god awful productions with shitty acting and writing. most comedies are hit or miss. blah blah i like good movies
Quote by The Madcap
When it comes to Movies, TV, etc. it's all about the characters. My favorites usually have complex and unusual characters. Thats why I like Coen Brothers movies a lot as they make GREAT characters. The swedish hitman from Fargo, Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men, etc.

That's also why Mad Men is my favorite show, as every character is complex and multidimensional.

Clint Eastwood does very interesting characters, like The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and Gran Torino, too.

I kinda sorta agree and kinda sorta disagree. I'm 100% on the TV thing. TV has to have great characters and be character driven. It's the best way to sustain a narrative over several seasons. My favorite shows are The Wire, Arrested Development, HIMYM, Futurma and such.
In movies though, I love character driven stuff, but they I don't require them to be deeply complex. Good enough to watch for 2 hours or however long plus sequels, but I think lower quality of characterization in films is acceptable. Not like movies can't do great characters or anything, I mean my favorite movie is still Godfather, I just have lower standards because different things can make a feature length film great.
Quote by fearofthemark
awe

I never went there, that might be why I forgot about it. Isn't it all high brow stuff though?

It ranges, we go high brow sometimes, we go low brow sometimes. Yesterday we discussed what makes a good monster movie and what makes a good monster. Today we're talking about Kevin Smith. We keep a mid brow most of the time.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Cute things make me want to break stuff.

No seriously, every RC I've ever been fooled into watching because sisters/gf, has left me with a seriously ill taste in my mouth. Not because I really hate cute stuff- but because I don't find it cute. And if there's not that, all you're doing is watching some actors drool around like they've got single digit IQ and bitching about not understanding why romantic endeavour 44 failed.

Maybe it's because I'd also rather clean my trashcan 3 times in a row than listen to 3 minutes of katy perry.

God damnit, all I see when I look at that shit is ''hurf hurf romance is haarrrd'' and it fucking infuriates me. I don't even know why.

Now I need a beer.

Now I know how to turn you into a mindless killing machine! MUAHAHAHAHA

DESTROY, MY PRECIOUS!
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Scary movies should only ever be watched with significant others.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Favorite genre of movie? - Science Fiction!
Favorite movie of all time? - Cast Away!
Least Favorite movie of all time? - 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Types of movies that you just can't stand? - Movies that have no plot or rely on minimalism because the writers cannot write, a la Kubrick.
Old vs. modern movies? - Depends. Horror it would definitely go to old, as would Comedy. Science Fiction and Action Adventure films definitely go to modern.

For me, it is all about the story. Everything else is insignificant if the story is absent. Dialogue, characters, design, pacing, direction, cinematography, score, colorization. Everything you can throw in there means nothing without a story.
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Aug 18, 2011,
Quote by AllJudasPriest

[

Nasty POS that was. fell asleep during the "amazing special effects for the time" scene which looked like a windows 96 screensaver.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by AllJudasPriest
Favorite genre of movie? - Science Fiction!
Favorite movie of all time? - Cast Away!
Types of movies that you just can't stand?Movies that have no plot or rely on minimalism because the writers cannot write, a la Kubrick.
Old vs. modern movies? - Depends. Horror it would definitely go to old, as would Comedy. Science Fiction and Action Adventure films definitely go to modern.

I hate you even more now.
Quote by cornmancer
I kinda sorta agree and kinda sorta disagree. I'm 100% on the TV thing. TV has to have great characters and be character driven. It's the best way to sustain a narrative over several seasons. My favorite shows are The Wire, Arrested Development, HIMYM, Futurma and such.
In movies though, I love character driven stuff, but they I don't require them to be deeply complex. Good enough to watch for 2 hours or however long plus sequels, but I think lower quality of characterization in films is acceptable. Not like movies can't do great characters or anything, I mean my favorite movie is still Godfather, I just have lower standards because different things can make a feature length film great.

It ranges, we go high brow sometimes, we go low brow sometimes. Yesterday we discussed what makes a good monster movie and what makes a good monster. Today we're talking about Kevin Smith. We keep a mid brow most of the time.

I commented on the thread. Kevin Smith rocks.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

The most importing thing with movies for me is that they have to be believable. Everything from the effects, dialogue, and story arc. Stupid effects, cheesy dialogue, or far fetched plot devices can ruin a movie for me.
Quote by fearofthemark

DESTROY, MY PRECIOUS!

COUNTERATTACK: DELICIOUS FOOD EDITION

Quote by Våd Hamster
COUNTERATTACK: DELICIOUS FOOD EDITION

god damn it what the fuck is wrong with japan.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark

Nasty POS that was. fell asleep during the "amazing special effects for the time" scene which looked like a windows 96 screensaver.

That's pretty good considering it was 28 years ahead of it's time then.
Quote by cornmancer
There are people who not only dislike 2001 but also hate it that aren't named Cadj? Shocked. Shocked and appalled I am. You all disgust me.

sorry dude, it sucked
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by severed-metal
That's pretty good considering it was 28 years ahead of it's time then.

but we're not living 43 years ago.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by fearofthemark

Well... I would not say 2001 is the worst movie of all time, far from it. From a technical standpoint, it is a masterpiece but it is a film by Kubrick so it is impossible not to love its imagery.

I'll state it here, Stanley Kubrick is the greatest director to have ever lived, even his worst films look better then most directors best films. Simply put, he could point a camera at a 600 pound man defecating into a dead carcass and make it look delicious. His steady cam work, back lighting, crating of films was impeccable.

But as a writer, Stanley Kubrick was utterly despicable. Kubrick has always been about style over substance. He cares nothing about story and just hoped that his impeccable work behind the camera was enough and in one way, it was.

The scene you are referring to always pissed me off. If a spaceship is going from point A to point B and we already know the character is going to make it, what the hell do we need to see the journey for? If something substantial happens along the way then obviously. Seriously, think about it.

If you watched a movie where 15 minutes in, the main character gets out of a car and says to an unnamed person inside of it, he has to reach a certain house at the end of the street with the address of 1515. Then he starts walking and nothing but ambiance is playing as he walks down the streets. And walks... And walks... And walks... And walks... And walks... And walks... We know, BECAUSE HE IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, he is going to get there, but nothing happens on his journey. He receives no phone calls, nothing pops out at him, nobody is watching him, then my question is always the same:

WHY IN THE HELL ARE WE WATCHING HIM GET THERE IS NOTHING HAPPENS ON THE WAY AND WE KNOW HE IS GOING TO GET THERE BY DEFAULT?
I like surreality. David Lynch and Alejandro Jodorowsky are my favorite film makers. Also Jan Svankmajer and Fellini.
Quote by fearofthemark
awe

No, we spend 90 percent of our time in there insulting each other. We only talk about high brow things sometimes.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Aug 19, 2011,
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Well... I would not say 2001 is the worst movie of all time, far from it. From a technical standpoint, it is a masterpiece but it is a film by Kubrick so it is impossible not to love its imagery.

I'll state it here, Stanley Kubrick is the greatest director to have ever lived, even his worst films look better then most directors best films. Simply put, he could point a camera at a 600 pound man defecating into a dead carcass and make it look delicious. His steady cam work, back lighting, crating of films was impeccable.

But as a writer, Stanley Kubrick was utterly despicable. Kubrick has always been about style over substance. He cares nothing about story and just hoped that his impeccable work behind the camera was enough and in one way, it was.

The scene you are referring to always pissed me off. If a spaceship is going from point A to point B and we already know the character is going to make it, what the hell do we need to see the journey for? If something substantial happens along the way then obviously. Seriously, think about it.

If you watched a movie where 15 minutes in, the main character gets out of a car and says to an unnamed person inside of it, he has to reach a certain house at the end of the street with the address of 1515. Then he starts walking and nothing but ambiance is playing as he walks down the streets. And walks... And walks... And walks... And walks... And walks... And walks... We know, BECAUSE HE IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, he is going to get there, but nothing happens on his journey. He receives no phone calls, nothing pops out at him, nobody is watching him, then my question is always the same:

WHY IN THE HELL ARE WE WATCHING HIM GET THERE IS NOTHING HAPPENS ON THE WAY AND WE KNOW HE IS GOING TO GET THERE BY DEFAULT?

Back in 1968, it was a great movie in terms of special effects, etcetera, but by today's standards, they are subpar, and the story line does not make up for it, like Star Wars' does. I felt that it tried way to hard to be conceptual and symbolic to the point that it became more about the hidden concepts than the actual enjoyment of the person watching it. Sure, a movie could have subtext, but it shouldn't neglect the plot itself for them.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by WhiskeyFace
"Waitor, there appears to be a squid in my beans"

I do believe those are fish eggs my good sir.

-I've never even seen 2001, and I don't plan to either. Actually I don't have a favourite film either, though I probably watched Independence Day more times than I can count when I was a kid.

Though if I had to choose I'd probably say Ringu or Ju-on. Shitty production and whatnot aside, the atmosphere in those films never fail to make my hairs stand
Page 1 of 2