You could get a louder sound out of a tissue box and some elastic bands than most acoustic basses, most of them are designed to be played using the Piezo pick up however there are some exceptions like the Tacoma Thunderchief ot Warwick Alien. There is a cheaper version of the Thundercheif available but I can"t remember what the name of it is.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
If you get one, lose the phosphor bronze strings and string it with electric flatwounds. It makes a world of difference.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've played some cheaper ones and some more expensive ones. The expensive ones can be really nice (Warwick Aliens are fantastic basses) but generally with a cheaper one I'd say you'd be better off simply going for a cheap portable amp.
Quote by musicmanstinger
You could get a louder sound out of a tissue box and some elastic bands than most acoustic basses, most of them are designed to be played using the Piezo pick up however there are some exceptions like the Tacoma Thunderchief ot Warwick Alien. There is a cheaper version of the Thundercheif available but I can"t remember what the name of it is.

You are thinking of the Olympia ODB3CE. The acoustic basses from Boulder Creek guitars are in the same category but a bit more cash.
Dean has some acoustic bass for about $200 USD. It's big and unwieldy but it's the loudest acoustic bass guitar i've ever heard. The only problem with it is an extremely low action so that you need to pluck the strings gently or it buzzes on the fretboard and the lack of a truss rod in the neck.

But it's cheap so it's got very little risk to it.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
I have an Ibanez acoustic bass and it's the quietest thing I've ever played. It has a piezo in it though so I can get some really killer tones with it if I plug it in. Fattest bass sound I've ever heard.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E