Hey guys, what are some possible roadblocks or issues I could have as a guitar player down the line as a result of not practicing with an amplifier?

I'm just wondering if there's anything I should watch out for because I no longer have a cord to plug my guitar to the amp with for the time being but I still want to get some practice in. Thanks in advance.
You won't learn to dampen unplayed strings properly, or mute strings after playing them properly, as you won't be able to hear their true electrified behaviour. Surely it can't take you that long to get something as simple as a new cord. As long as you don't suffer this condition for too long, you won't notice any difference in your playing.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Aug 19, 2011,
When I play through my Pod Farm software on my laptop (in the JCM800 setting) muting is critical - maybe more so than on a real amp.

So my answer is no, you don't need a real amp to practice, or record.

Quality may not be as good but it viable. It is definitely different. I'd rather have a tube amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
When I play through my Pod Farm software on my laptop (in the JCM800 setting) muting is critical - maybe more so than on a real amp.

So my answer is no, you don't need a real amp to practice, or record.

Quality may not be as good but it viable. It is definitely different. I'd rather have a tube amp.

Read the OP He's talking about playing completely unamplified, not just without a "real" amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You can still hear the guitar. You could also make sure to clean your playing even further while playing in an unplugged manner. Nothing beats handicaps that challenging yourself evenmore. *cough*Django Reinhardt*cough*. But yea... just keep playing and practicing. - Leo.
Quote by WastedRespect
You can still hear the guitar. You could also make sure to clean your playing even further while playing in an unplugged manner. Nothing beats handicaps that challenging yourself evenmore. *cough*Django Reinhardt*cough*. But yea... just keep playing and practicing. - Leo.

The difference is that Django was never playing under gain and on a gypsy jazz guitar you hit it as hard as possible and don't worry about muting just to be heard in the ensemble. This is a person who needs to instinctively understand how to work with and manage gain and muting and so on; practicing for too long without plugging in and making sure that you can do those things is going to be harmful to his playing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The difference is that Django was never playing under gain and on a gypsy jazz guitar you hit it as hard as possible and don't worry about muting just to be heard in the ensemble. This is a person who needs to instinctively understand how to work with and manage gain and muting and so on; practicing for too long without plugging in and making sure that you can do those things is going to be harmful to his playing.

Yes, I agree with you. However, Gain isn't so much of an issue that when one comes to muting that if Gain isn't being used that muting stops being used. Acoustic guitarist still have to mute. Of course there will be a difference between muting on an acoustic guitar vs an electric guitar with gain to 11. The Django reference was simply alluding to that fact that with disadvantages comes advantages and challenges that allow to see the instrument in a different light.
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll still practice of course but I'm going to make it a point not to get too comfortable with it and stop by a guitar center when funds allow.
Quote by InertSolo
Hey guys, what are some possible roadblocks or issues I could have as a guitar player down the line as a result of not practicing with an amplifier?

I'm just wondering if there's anything I should watch out for because I no longer have a cord to plug my guitar to the amp with for the time being but I still want to get some practice in. Thanks in advance.

The big issue is that you're not getting great feedback about what you're doing, since you can't hear as much. Are you fretting in such a way as to sharpen notes? Is your right hand attack uneven? You'll never know.
Quote by InertSolo
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll still practice of course but I'm going to make it a point not to get too comfortable with it and stop by a guitar center when funds allow.

"When funds allow?" It's a new cord: that's like $10 - 20.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska

Dude's obviously not exactly rolling in cash, cut him some slack.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by soviet_ska

Unemployed college freshman here. I should be getting a job on campus soon though, so that shouldn't be a problem for an extended period of time.