I just bought a Line 6 DL4 from a bud of mine, and I really like it. I've gotten nice results through a borrowed model, through an also borrowed amp with an effects loop. I have no fx loop on my amp though, so it's all in the front. I use an overdrive pedal, but I'm noticing that the repeats get just a little dirty. I can get cleaner repeats on the digital delay setting, but it sounds a bit cold for my tastes. The analog echo setting sounds much nicer to my ears, but it get's dirty when I dial in a reasonable amount. I can keep it dialed back to where I hear the delay well enough, but also keep it from getting super dirty.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why it's dirty. The delay is going into a very clean setting on the amp and the overdrive is between the delay and my guitar, so the delay isn't delaying my overdrive. Why is the analog setting getting so dirty? Does it need to be going through an effects loop to be as clean as I prefer it to be?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
overdrive is before ur delay, so you're feeding overdriven signal to ur delay. so of course the delay is dirty. the input is dirty.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by sg4ever
... and the overdrive is between the delay and my guitar, so the delay isn't delaying my overdrive.

Of course it is.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Oh crap. No wonder. It's been a while since I've had to chain up a delay since this is the first time I've actually owned one. Thanks.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Actually, I've had it wired into the output of the pedal this whole time. It's still just a little dirty. It's not quite as clean as I've heard this sort of sound before. I'll admit it sounds very organic and appropriate for most kinds of indie and alternative rock, but this sort of sound isn't my preference for heavier modern rock. I suppose it's not a problem, since I'll eventually get an amp with an fx loop, but it bothers me a bit.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5