I have this LTD h-401fm guitar and it has 25.5' of scale. It came with 10 - 46 gauge strings I believe. However, I like the palm muting tone of 9-42's, but even with the truss rod adjusted to the max (unscrewed), I still get bad fret buzz. I could adjust the action, but me and my little hands don't like high strings, and they have to be pretty high to decently not get fret buzz. Would changing the nut fix the problem (as in getting a bigger nut in height)? I don't know much about that earvana nut it has, but from what I see on the internet, it's pretty good, so I don't know if I should change it really.

Thanks in advance !
I had the same problem with my G&L rampage i was used to play a dean which has a lower action than the rampage , and i wanted to get a low action on it but it would get frett buzz all over the place so i raised a little , did a truss rod adjustment and got used to it now and i like it more this way it has a different feeling now .

check the manufactor forums and ask for the best possible action on your ltd , they might give you some tips on how to adjust it properly.
Quote by kevC4
I have this LTD h-401fm guitar and it has 25.5' of scale. It came with 10 - 46 gauge strings I believe. However, I like the palm muting tone of 9-42's, but even with the truss rod adjusted to the max (unscrewed), I still get bad fret buzz. I could adjust the action, but me and my little hands don't like high strings, and they have to be pretty high to decently not get fret buzz. Would changing the nut fix the problem (as in getting a bigger nut in height)? I don't know much about that earvana nut it has, but from what I see on the internet, it's pretty good, so I don't know if I should change it really.

Thanks in advance !

Hello
two cents from me. I also like very low action, so low I would say it is a bit muffin the sound, but not much. It depends where do you have your fret buzz. Very often the "bass" E and A has this kind of problem. and very often in the first few frets.

In that case, the truss rod should have been set. If you are not certain, for this is done right or not, you should check the neck relief. Try to hold 1st fret with finger or cappo and then try to hold string at cca. 17th fret. If you see a small gap in the middle like about 0,1-0,3 mm, or just a few papers would fit (I just say, the thing should not touch the frets, and you should barely to see under it), it should be set nicely. If that is your case and the buzzing is at those 1st or so frets, I would say the problem is surely in nut height, which could be cut too much and you need a new nut then. Earvana should be nice and luthiers should be able to reproduce that one for you too.

If the buzzing is more in high positions like 12th fret to 24th, the problem is that bridge is set too low.

I would also tried to think about radius of the finger board. Your previous guitar could have that one very flat like 17" or more, and standard series guitars have about 12" so they have a bit rounder fingerboard, which means a bit higher action is needed.

Also think about your techniques, if you are not hitting strings too hard.

Let us know, if you corrected it and how.
Ibanez RG570EX, Dunlop 8-38 E Standard, B.C. Rich Warbeast WMD, Dunlop 9-42 E Standard, Boss MT2, Sencor 30W, Planet Waves, Fast Track MkII. Dunlop Jazz III, Stubby