Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for keeping my guitar safe while at school. Its a mexi strat, but it's heavily modded and i'm attatched to it. I was originally going to bring just a gigbag and stand, but I figured that instead I should bring my locking Schecter hardcase, and simply lock it in-between playings and keep it under my bed. I have a suite, so it's behind two locked doors already, and I have five people living with me to notice a giant case leaving. Only problem with that is I'm leaving the Schecter home and would like that to be stored nicely. I have a bicycle lock if anyone knows tricks with that?
Reaching out to embrace the random,
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.
if your paranoid leaving your guitar locked in a case under your bed, behind 2 locked doors, and outside the main room with 5 people living with you then something is wrong. If someones willing to break down two doors and dig through your room for a guitar then they're going to steal it no matter how much you do.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
lock the case handle to something heavy (like a leg of the bed)
Gibson les Paul studio
Schecter hellraiser C-1 FR 2008
Guitar Rig - Rig Kontrol
Yeah dude no one would want to bother taking your guitar if its that guarded. Get to know your roommates and earn their trust. And for your schecter i suggest turning the strings loose and storing it in a gig bag safely under your bed or in your closet. Best of luck in college!
just take the schecter to college.... nobody would steal that

but really, what longneckdude said
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by supersac
have everyone in the school respect you...or fear you

Why not both?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
karate lessons and protein shakes
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Shoot room mates with said gun >_>
but for real... lock it up tight. Put your name somewhere on the case, stuff like that, pretty much anything you would do with other valuables.
What is the point of locking cases? If someone wants your guitar, they're not going to give up cause the case is locked. It actually looks less conspicuous carrying a case than just a guitar.

Anyway... buy a cheap guitar. If you're that worried, and that attached to the guitar, don't bring it. You can get some pretty decent guitars for around $200 on the used market. Or for a little more you could just get a used MIM strat.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What is the point of locking cases? If someone wants your guitar, they're not going to give up cause the case is locked. It actually looks less conspicuous carrying a case than just a guitar.

Anyway... buy a cheap guitar. If you're that worried, and that attached to the guitar, don't bring it. You can get some pretty decent guitars for around $200 on the used market. Or for a little more you could just get a used MIM strat.

You'd be surprised at how many people are deterred because something is locked. Even if it would be simple to take or break into, it's usually not worth the hassle when they can just go find other stuff that's easier to take and more valuable.
Get something used on EBay and sell it back once you're done with college, you shouldn't lose much money in the long run, you might even break even. In the event it gets stolen, at least you didn't lose your prized strat.

But if you absolutely must bring it, lock it in a hard case and use a chain lock to lock it to your bed, the hanger bar in your closet, or something else that doesn't move easily, and would probably make a loud noise if someone tried to break it.
If you've got your own room, just lock the door. Worked for me, I never knew anything get stolen when I lived in halls. And if you're that para, get it insured.
...Bleep Bloop...
Last edited by GHJ at Aug 19, 2011,
there's bound to be something you can do with that bike lock and locking schecter case.

do you have a couple of paperclips and a piece of chewing gum as well?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What I'm doing is putting the guitar I decide to bring in a hard case, lock that up, and then use a bike lock through the handle or something and lock that to my bed or desk. And then just keep it all under there since I'm lofting it.
Have a friend pretend to break in and on his way out of your suite with the guitar beat the living shit out of him. Make sure to have the majority of the fight in a public area and make the reason for his beating clear. That should take care of it.

In all seriousness I'd just relax a bit. If you're that uncomfortable don't take it yet. Wait a few weeks and get a feel for the guys you're living with and the situation. When you're comfortable bring it. You shouldn't be so paranoid.

Also put a big picture of yourself on the hardshell case with a sign that says 'if anyone but this guy is carrying this guitar call the police.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 19, 2011,
Get one of these:

No one will mess with your stuff.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
lmao guess I am paranoid. this thread made me lol a few times. and its a good schecter! c1 classic. Not a br00tal schecter.
Reaching out to embrace the random,
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.
get a combination lock and chain the case to the bed
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Just leave a note "My balls have been on this guitar. If you touch it, you're touching my balls. And that makes me feel tingly". He'll leave the room not knowing what to do with himself
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Aug 20, 2011,